Covid19: Alaska through Canada - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #1

British Columbia
Covid19: Alaska through Canada

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/the-canad...-how-1.4980589

See above

Americans traveling to Alaska through Canada are not obeying Canadian law and are putting others at risk in contacting COVID-19 and increasing the spread of the Pandemic.
They are not social distancing, self isolating for 14 days, and not wearing a mask.

Please don’t take advantage of the relaxation of essential travel to Canada for USA citizens wanting to get home to Alaska through your northern neighbours yard.

For those traveling to Alaska through Canada, please follow the instruction from the Canadian Border officers so we can all get through this pandemic together.

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:18 PM   #2

Arizona
Pandemic is over. We're now into riots and taking over cities.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Pandemic is over. We're now into riots and taking over cities.
Glad the pandemic is over where you live....first I heard.
USA /Canada border is still closed to non essential travel... could be a lengthily closure

Sorry to hear about troubles in the USA.

Hope the southern states are not hit with another economic storm this fall and winter by Canadian snow birds not heading south due to the pandemic and the troubles .

Be kind, wash your hands, be safe and be careful.
Canada
Old 06-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #4

Arizona
Here in Arizona our state is mostly open for dining in at restaurants and free movements without restrictions. We're in the middle of our second monthly RV show where I work. RV's are selling like hotcakes. Masks are recommended but not required. Overall, it appears life is almost back to a pre-covid normal.

Our news is now dominated by the race riots across the US and all the associated destruction associated. Not much is being said about covid.

Sorry Canada is still in lock down mode.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:20 AM   #5

British Columbia
With respect Canada is and was not In lockdown mode.
Each province has its own regulations but none are lock down.
I note unfortunately Arizona had a Record high 1,654 new cases reported on Friday in just one day...that is 1/2 as much as BC has since the out break stated ( 2,709)
Good luck.
Keep safe
Canada
Old 06-15-2020, 04:59 AM   #6

British Columbia
Arizona is the new national hotspot for COVID-19 with more than 4,400 new cases in just the last 72 hours. Per capita, Arizona’s infection rate is now more than three times higher than New York state. It’s spreading like wildfire.

Keep safe.
Canada
Old 06-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #7

Wyoming
Yeah, but keep in mind... when they talk about Arizona, most of the cases are in the 2 counties surrounding the Phoenix area (Pima & Maricopa).

The majority of the state remains unaffected.

Before I left the Bullhead City area in Arizona last month (about an hour south of Las Vegas, 3-4 hours northwest of Phoenix), there were only 30 cases reported in the entire county, and most of those were in nursing homes.

So those numbers they keep spittin out are highly skewed. Or in other words... about 85% of the cases are confined to about 7% or 8% of the state.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:13 AM   #8

Arizona
We all need to be exposed to the virus to build an immunity, also know as herd immunity. This virus will be with us forever, which is why we want to get immune to it. But don't worry about me as I have no plans of ever leaving the USA.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #9

California
@azdryheat, that exposure could be in the form of a vaccine. For huge segments of the population such as elderly or those with compromised health that would be far better than getting infected. I prefer not to rely on a natural herd immunity if given the choice and would opt for the vaccine when available.

I was never exposed to small pox, measles or polio but I was vaccinated for all of those diseases as an infant and small child and that worked well for me.

I think we can all debate over how contagious or dangerous Covid-19 is but I promise you that getting an approved vaccine would be better than contracting the virus in probably more than 99% of the cases.

While I think my immediate family would all be fine if we contracted it I cannot say the same for everyone else we might pass it along to if we did become pre-symptomatic or asymptotic.

I hate all this social distancing but I understand why it makes sense to do so and I am trying to do my part.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
We all need to be exposed to the virus to build an immunity, also know as herd immunity. This virus will be with us forever, which is why we want to get immune to it. But don't worry about me as I have no plans of ever leaving the USA.

It’s not the fact you will not be leaving the USA it’s about Canadian Snowbirds coming to Arizona for the winter. If the USA and specifically the southern USA ie Arizona don’t get a handle on the covid19 pandemic I believe Canadians will be wintering at home. Which will most likely create another significant economic hardship.

Here is a part of an article from. Green Valley News.

Green Valley News

“While the impact of Canadians already is significant, the potential boon of extending stays for Arizona’s tourism-driven economy means more business for airlines, restaurants, retail stores and attractions, Realtors and property tax coffers, according to one group that’s highly supportive of giving Canadians a longer reprieve from the harsh winters.
“We’re behind it 100 percent,” said Canada Arizona Business Council CEO Glenn Williamson. He said Canadian snowbirds add $1.4 billion in economic impact annually to Arizona, with the most upside in Maricopa, Pinal, Pima and Yuma counties. There is no breakdown for the Green Valley/Sahuarita area.*
In addition to the half-year residents, more than 1 million Canadian tourists making the trek to the Grand Canyon State in 2018 spent another $1 billion, according to the CABC. Williamson also estimates that the number of Canadian tourists to Arizona annually will top 1.5 million within the next five years.”

Losing any portion of $1.4 billion in economic impact is nothing to sneeze at.

I hope the USA and specifically Arizona don’t think that losing that type investment is ok.
Canada
Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #11

Florida
Same for Florida but DeSantis sez YA'LL COME! (... idio... )
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #12

Arizona
Nobody here in the wild, wild west is twisting any Canadian's arm to snowbird here in AZ. If it's too scary to come to AZ then by all means stay home. The selfish side of me likes that idea as it would free up some camping spots for we locals.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Nobody here in the wild, wild west is twisting any Canadian's arm to snowbird here in AZ. If it's too scary to come to AZ then by all means stay home. The selfish side of me likes that idea as it would free up some camping spots for we locals.
Your quite right no one is twisting anyone’s arm. Snowbirds come from Canada and the northern USA states during the winter to escape the cold. Significant monies is spent by your state, local and municipal government as well as businesses to attract that investment. So if your saying we are not welcome please say so and ask your governments and business to stop their advertising to get us to come.

The only thing scary....no terrifying are these numbers.

USA
TOTAL CASES

CDC | Updated: Jun 17 2020 5:45PM

USA
TOTAL DEATHS

Hope you locals enjoy your camping spots.

Be kind,be careful, be safe and wash your hands.
Canada
Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 PM   #14

British Columbia
Pandemic

The Canada USA border is closed until 21 July to non essential travel.

The USA is in green Canada in pink.

Until things improve in the USA regarding a positive shift in managing USA COVID pandemic I suggest the border will be closed indefinitely to non essential travel.
B Kind,B careful, B safe, wash your hands, wear a mask, keep your distance. That’s what we Canadians did and we flattened the curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	147BEBF8-4822-456A-8466-3987D3C1B121.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	6385  
Canada
Old 07-12-2020, 12:05 AM   #15

Arizona
Have any tests or studies been done on these masks? Do they work? How about any tests or studies on social distancing? Does that work? I had a waitress tell me some food smelled good. I told her if she can smell the food her mask isn't working. How about people wearing masks all day and re-breathing there own air. The mask causes a moisture buildup that causes a bacteria buildup inside the mask that can make the wearer terribly sick. There is also a reduction in the amount of oxygen in their system, which can hit dangerously low levels. I don't see a whole lot of benefit in wearing a mask that doesn't work and can cause a person serious harm.

I have a symbolic mask that I wear when I have to and I know it doesn't work to stop the virus. It only makes people around me feel good.

Herd immunity is what's going to stop this virus.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:17 AM   #16

British Columbia
All I know is that Canada and New Zealand have flattened the COVID curve following these steps;

B Kind, B careful ,B safe, wash your hands, keep your distance and wear a mask.

Good luck.
Canada
Old 07-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #17

Florida
The masks do work! they are mostly to protect the people around you in case you are infected. unless you are wearing a KN95, you have SOME protection from breathing in the virus. PM2.5 does not protect you from the virus particles since the virus particles are smaller than what the mask is filtering. masks that are just made of cloth only provide somewhat of a blockage from your cough or sneeze and breathe out.

Distance is key! you can be like some of the folks at the rallies and protests that are spreading the virus and making others sick.

Wearing a mask is a small price to pay for a little insurance for now. It's inconvenient, it's a PITA but it's necessary and it may save the lives of those around you should you be infected.

I'm at the age that if myself or my wife come down with the virus, it won't be good. We have used gallons of disinfectant and hand sanitizer. it's hard to find and sometimes there is stuff out there that is just plain awful.

When this thing first started, there was this guy in PUBLIX that was walking up and down the aisles whistling. Without a mask. Now it's mandatory that folks wear masks in public places. A rule I support!

I have masks that have replaceable carbon filters. I don't let bacteria build up since the masks are washable and you can replace the filters.

I respect your right to not wear a mask but I don't respect your right to get other folks sick.

By the way, I respect you and value your opinions. You have been immensely helpful to me on this forum and hopefully, you won't take this the wrong way.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #18

Wyoming
I feel for those of you who are stuck in metro areas.

Not counting my 1-day stops between the 2... I've been in 2 places since this things began: Bullhead City, AZ, in the northwestern part of that state... and now Cody, WY, outside of Yellowstone.

While I was inconvenienced some in AZ... there were very few cases in the entire county there. By the time I departed in mid-May, things were opening up pretty steady.

Arriving back in Wyoming a few days later... I arrived to fine that, with a few exceptions, life was pretty normal up here. Very few cases, and most all stores & restaurants were open. Fast forward 2 months later, and things are still normal here. Everything's open...Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Parks... the Cody nightly rodeo & main-street gunfight shows are attended by the tourists... and only about 10% of people are wearing masks.

Cases in the county are still very low... and what cases we do have are mainly confined to 3 areas: 2 nursing homes, and an oil-workers camp. The only person "in town" who has contracted the virus is a nurse at the hospital who was treating someone at one of the nursing homes... and even she is simply quarantining at home.

So... if you want some freedom... get out of the cities, if you can. Find some of the non-populated areas. Chances are, you'll find life is much better.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I feel for those of you who are stuck in metro areas.

Not counting my 1-day stops between the 2... I've been in 2 places since this things began: Bullhead City, AZ, in the northwestern part of that state... and now Cody, WY, outside of Yellowstone.

While I was inconvenienced some in AZ... there were very few cases in the entire county there. By the time I departed in mid-May, things were opening up pretty steady.

Arriving back in Wyoming a few days later... I arrived to fine that, with a few exceptions, life was pretty normal up here. Very few cases, and most all stores & restaurants were open. Fast forward 2 months later, and things are still normal here. Everything's open...Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Parks... the Cody nightly rodeo & main-street gunfight shows are attended by the tourists... and only about 10% of people are wearing masks.

Cases in the county are still very low... and what cases we do have are mainly confined to 3 areas: 2 nursing homes, and an oil-workers camp. The only person "in town" who has contracted the virus is a nurse at the hospital who was treating someone at one of the nursing homes... and even she is simply quarantining at home.

So... if you want some freedom... get out of the cities, if you can. Find some of the non-populated areas. Chances are, you'll find life is much better.
We were in Boone (in the mountains) when this thing started. The day they shut the restaurants down was St. Patrick's day and we celebrated in Blowing Rock. Turns out, we should have stayed there. Florida is a real mess, opening too soon and allowing folks to congregate at the bars and beaches as well as the good folks protesting the existence of law enforcement and someone that would enforce the rules and regulations of society. I don't really feel sorry for the folks that were rioting (not protesting) while burning and looting. Catching the virus for them is Karma I suppose.

Two things I would not want to be right now. health professional or law enforcement professional. I support Law Enforcement, I have a Florida Sheriff's Association tag on my vehicles.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #20

Wisconsin
Quote:
Have any tests or studies been done on these masks? Do they work? How about any tests or studies on social distancing? Does that work? I had a waitress tell me some food smelled good. I told her if she can smell the food her mask isn't working. How about people wearing masks all day and re-breathing there own air. The mask causes a moisture buildup that causes a bacteria buildup inside the mask that can make the wearer terribly sick. There is also a reduction in the amount of oxygen in their system, which can hit dangerously low levels. I don't see a whole lot of benefit in wearing a mask that doesn't work and can cause a person serious harm.

I have a symbolic mask that I wear when I have to and I know it doesn't work to stop the virus. It only makes people around me feel good.

Herd immunity is what's going to stop this virus.
azdryheat,

Extensive testing is and has been done on various mask designs. You can find the data using Mr. Google or Duck Duck Go.

The testing does show that most mask designs reduce the viral load. N95 are excellent. KN95 masks vary a lot. KN95 is a Chinese standard and is not being rigorously unforced. N95 masks are scarce. Currently they are being directed toward health services personal.

Polypropylene fabric in a mask is the next best. Clean and new has a static charge that collects extremely tiny particles. Washing removes the charge. It can be restored by rubbing it a certain way so polypropylene in a mask pocket is a good system.

Many masks designed for dust and chemical protection have a valve that opens when the wearer exhales. This makes it easier for the user to breath. These do not protect others from users breath.

Wet masks still work. They are often harder to breath through. The static of polypropylene may be dissipated. They do promote mold growth, but it takes time for the mold to propagate. 10 hours is a relatively short time for growth. You can get sick from it, but risk of contracting and severity of sickness is much lower than covid. Treatments for the mold and bacteria sickness are almost always available.

All in all, any mask greatly reduces transmission from the user. It significantly reduces viral load from others to the user.

Chemical odors are not removed by most common masks. So your comments to the waitress were not correct. Masks with activated charcoal can remove airborne chemicals. Paint masks are often of this type.

The further you are from an infected person the lower the viral load. However, the tiniest covid particles remain suspended in the air for long periods unless the wind dilutes them. Determining if the fine particles often cause illness is not clear. Higher concentrations for long periods are expected to increase transmission.

Oxygen availability and CO2 dispersal is not significant in a well functioning mask. Extreme physical exertion while wearing a tight weave mask will limit performance.

Herd immunity will come when most people in the world are vaccinated. Otherwise it will not come for years and susceptible people have died.

There is lots more quality data if you are willing to look.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that ignorance can be cured by reading a book.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote