Pre-Wired Furrion Wired Wrong at Factory - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Texas
Pre-Wired Furrion Wired Wrong at Factory

Well folks...plug and play is not always plug and play. I installed mine in our new 2019 263BH Coleman by Dutchmen and it didn't work. I scratched my head a minute and pulled the center running light and barely enough wire to work with. However, I found they wired the furrion adapter with red (positive) to the white and black (negative) to the green. Needless to say it was wired backwards at the factory. As I noticed they don't use grommets around the cut aluminum siding and i noticed it was melted....so I replaced it and wired it correctly and finally worked.

Moral of the story....so much for Pre-Inspections at the factory.

www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbernathy View Post
Well folks...plug and play is not always plug and play. I installed mine in our new 2019 263BH Coleman by Dutchmen and it didn't work. I scratched my head a minute and pulled the center running light and barely enough wire to work with. However, I found they wired the furrion adapter with red (positive) to the white and black (negative) to the green. Needless to say it was wired backwards at the factory. As I noticed they don't use grommets around the cut aluminum siding and i noticed it was melted....so I replaced it and wired it correctly and finally worked.

Moral of the story....so much for Pre-Inspections at the factory.

You being a NEC expert, this must have had you scratching your head.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Florida
SEARCHABLE NEC, the ONLY WAY TO GO!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You being a NEC expert, this must have had you scratching your head.
It did in the effect of WHY would they wire it wrong....LOL......and considering I paid for the Plug and Play and just had a previous camera that was defective....yes it was not until I pulled it apart to determine.

Also,the NEC(National Electrical Code) doesn't dictate what they "Wire" these RV's as since we would never use Green as Positive but they do....so the NEC is irrelevant.
www.MasterTheNEC.com
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #5

California
We have all discussed many times the inconsistency and backwardness of how these manufacturers build these rigs.

Nothing surprises me anymore. And the guys that service them are not much better.

Glad we have this discussion group to share answers and ideas!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
SEARCHABLE NEC, the ONLY WAY TO GO!

Still miss the big ole cross reference books though. But the Internet is faster!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #7

Texas
Sadly for me It was supposed to be a Plug and Play installation and why I paid what i did for the furrion. So as a result I had to make multiple trips to get additional supplies...just wasn't prepared for their BOTCHED install.
www.MasterTheNEC.com
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Sadly for me It was supposed to be a Plug and Play installation and why I paid what i did for the furrion. So as a result I had to make multiple trips to get additional supplies...just wasn't prepared for their BOTCHED install.
And like Yoda said to Luke, "that is why you failed".
Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 AM   #9

Texas
OMG...not a YODA reference....LOL
www.MasterTheNEC.com
Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
OMG...not a YODA reference....LOL
What's this place coming to?
Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Thumbs up Nec

Quote:
It did in the effect of WHY would they wire it wrong....LOL......and considering I paid for the Plug and Play and just had a previous camera that was defective....yes it was not until I pulled it apart to determine.

Also,the NEC(National Electrical Code) doesn't dictate what they "Wire" these RV's as since we would never use Green as Positive but they do....so the NEC is irrelevant.
As far as I can tell, NEC officially does not apply. Running lights, break, and backup used to run backup cameras are automotive standard.

I don't know what the auto standards are, but there are lots of color in my car and you can find green in the oddest places.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #12

Arizona
Factory inspections. Now that's a joke.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #13

Florida
I don't believe the NEC has a section regarding 12 volt DC systems ... BUT, you may find something concerning higher voltage DC systems plus bonding and grounding and standard wiring applies to the RV... sort of.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:03 AM   #14

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I don't believe the NEC has a section regarding 12 volt DC systems ... BUT, you may find something concerning higher voltage DC systems plus bonding and grounding and standard wiring applies to the RV... sort of.
Actually the NEC does have DC Voltages and it deals with various iterations of DC for Wind Generation, PV, etc but has nothing to do with the Genesis of the topic I presented. Someone else remarked at my profession as an NEC Expert and it kinda went from there...LOL

The RV Manufacturers tend to do as they please and I am sure they follow SAE standards...none of which I am up on. However, DC voltage is easy to sort out and I was able to get it sorted. We just got back from a trip and the camera worked excellently...
Old 07-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Actually the NEC does have DC Voltages and it deals with various iterations of DC for Wind Generation, PV, etc but has nothing to do with the Genesis of the topic I presented. Someone else remarked at my profession as an NEC Expert and it kinda went from there...LOL

The RV Manufacturers tend to do as they please and I am sure they follow SAE standards...none of which I am up on. However, DC voltage is easy to sort out and I was able to get it sorted. We just got back from a trip and the camera worked excellently...

Really?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Really?

Aaron
Point?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Point?
There is an SAE Standard J1292. I can also assure you that while they may be designed with the standard in mind, it seldom makes it through the production line by standard and there isn't any quality control to verify if it is done right.

Case in point; we had a fellow roll in next to us this past week with a brand new Jayco Seneca Super C that he had purchased from a discount dealer right next to the factory. He had a problem with a couple of circuits that kept blowing fuses. Fortunately, he had a partial wiring diagram with the circuit numbers and fuse sizes listed. One circuit had the incorrect fuse installed in it, when it blew he did the logical thing, replaced it with the same size fuse. The other circuit was wired incorrectly, it had been switched with a circuit of lower capacity on the fuse block. We got things switched around and the correct size fuse for the problem circuit. No issues for the next three days. The circuits were labeled on the cover, but we aren't sure what language they used. Perhaps RVese.

I have been messing about with RVs for the past 40 or so years. The older ones were a lot less complicated however you still looked at somethings and wondered. Now, with them being thrown together by workers paid by the piece and not trained in what they are actually doing I seriously doubt there are very many if any RVs built that meet standard.

Many years ago if you purchased an Airstream you got a model specific Owner's Manual that was extremely detailed, there was an optional Repair Manual as well as a Dealers' Repair manual. That went the way of the dodo bird around 1990. Now Airstream manuals are just as generic as all of the others and as worthless.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote