Need help on how to operate awning 2006 Dutchman classic 26b - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Georgia
Question Need help on how to operate awning 2006 Dutchman classic 26b

Hi all, we just purchased our first used 2006 Dutchman. Overall in great condition. I do not know how to pull out the awning. It has 3 support arms/bar.
2 on the ends and one in the middle to the left of the door.

Any knowledge or videos on how to operate these would be great.

I’m also needing the owners manual for the year make and model above

Megan1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

California
Do age of rig the awning most likely has a pull hook rod in the trailer some place. And the awning has a loop in the middle that the rod hooks into to pull it down.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Georgia
Yes it does have all that but I am not sure how to operate the middle bar to be able to let the awning out.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #4

Georgia
Yes it has all that, I am just not able to operate the middle arm to let the awning out.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

California
I read somewhere that the center support will go into a hole in the front roller. Have to manually put it there.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 AM   #6

Florida
awning

I hope yours was like my old one. You should have a long rod which is used to pull the loop from the middle of the canopy to pull it down. But first , look at one end or the other and you should see a metal lever type latch. Your rod will be used to either push that lever in or pull it out. It is a latch assy so when you put your canopy back in that latch automatically latches to make sure it does not come loose when you travel. Also be aware once you unlatch that end , the middle loop you will pull the canopy down with is spring loaded so once you start pulling that loop do not let it go. Hold on to the loop while you or someone helping you, lets the two end arms down to support the canopy. Sounds confusing but look for the latch on the end to unlatch your canopy and then use the loop in the middle to pull it down. I do hope yours was like my canopy on my 2002 Dutchman. Good luck
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:11 AM   #7

Oregon
A picture is worth a thousand words. These arms are hinged at the bottom? Is there a lever at the side that releases a collar support at the top below the rolled awning?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #8

Michigan
You flip the lever at the right end of the tube and pull the awning out with the rod as others have said. then you manually lift the center support and extend it into the hole in the tube. Then lock it down with the hand knob. There should also be a leg that drops down to the ground, adjust the height and again lock it down with the knob. How long is the awning, most don't use the support anymore.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Oregon
If we are imagining this correctly, once extended, the arms’ tops are now slotted into the awning tube holes. Only the two arms at the ends are typically needed to hold the awning securely, but you now have a hazard with them at some 45 degrees. Either arm can now be lengthened or shortened by twisting the knob, adjusting the tube length, and retightening the knob. (Actually, these three knobs need to be untightened and the arm levers relaxed even before you attempt to pull the awning tube out from its closed cradle position.) notice now that the arm bases are hinged at the bottom, held in place by cotter pins. If you grasp the ring and pull the pin out, you can now dis-attach the base and reposition each arm out to a 90 degree upright angle, securing the base to the ground with a tent stake. The middle arm can be detached now and used as a post.

By using the arms as posts, you can freely walk beneathe the awning. This setup I’ve found to be more wind resistant than present extension designs, but it takes more time and effort to extend and retract. Which by the way to retract you must open the knobs on the arms, and rotate the small lever at the end of the tube, allowing the spring tension to recoil the awning fabric. But keep tension on that strap in the middle so the recoil does not get away from you.

There should be about a 4 foot rod with a hook on the end. Use the hook end to rotate the small lever at the right of the awning tube into the OPEN position, and insert this same hook into the hoop sewn into the exposed end of the pull down strap, which should be visible at the awning’s center.

After recoiling, make sure your arms are laying flat against the side of the trailer, throw each arm lever up to cradle the awning tube in place, and then tighten the arm knobs.

You can still find parts for this style awning on line. Maybe by talking to a vendor, you might track down an operators manual.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote