Electrical - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #1

Illinois
Electrical

I have a 2014 Dutchman Denali 5th wheel. Last night I plugged a very small electric heater in a gfi outlet and it tripped. Now can't get it to reset. And I am on shore power, well the battery has evidently ran down as converter isn't working now either, so its 30 degrees and furnace won't light as battery has ran down. Lights are dim and frigerator switched over to gas as not enough 12v. Do you think its converter or could the gfi not being reset could be the problem. Stranded away from home. Any ideas ? Would it be the fuse on the converter? Any thoughts ? Sitting in truck at 3 a.m. to keep warm. Ugh

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Replace the GFCI first. They aren't the best unit available.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #3

Wyoming
I know it’s probably something you’ve already checked, but just thinking off the top of my head: Are you sure you’re still getting shore power from the pedestal… and/or your cord?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #4

Oklahoma
The first thing to do would to see why the GFCI is opening. They do go bad or there could be something causing it to open.

If there wasn't any power coming into the rig a problem causing the GFCI to open wouldn't be the cause.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #5

Florida
In an emergency like that, run a power cord to the 20 amp 120 volt receptacle on the Pedistal to your heater.

Ps: always have a selection of adapters to be able to adapt to any electrical outlet on the pedistal.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #6

Wisconsin
As posted above, it could be a failed GFI. However, it could be a tripped circuit breaker as well. GFI will not "test" or "reset" unless there is 120 AC power to it.

Unplug the heater.
Find the branch breaker for the outlet.
Flip it "off", then back "on".
Reset the GFI.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:11 PM   #7

Illinois
What caused it to trip was a little bitty elec heater, so I understand that. I replaced the gfi and everything is working fine. Thanks for the help, much appreciated
Old 01-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
I would check the circuit breaker on the pedestal first if there is no power coming into the camper.
Gbwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:16 AM   #9

California
GFI’s don’t trip because of load. Maybe you over loaded the circuit and damaged the GFI? If your working it’s all good .I’m a electrician and I would give you my number but it sounds like your good.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #10

Virginia
Converter

We also have 2014 Denali. We had a series of electrical issues over the past season. Fried the circuitry in our fireplace and washing machine and arrived one evening to smoke inside cabin while not plugged into or running anything. Because we use almost only run the rig on shore power we didn’t know that our batteries had run down. Our repair guy said it was the converter. We’ve only had it out once since replacing it, so we’ll see if that was the fix next season when we take it out again.
B&RBrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #11

New York
electrical

I am sure by now you figured out what had happened, but you didn't mention if you tried plugging your heater into another non GFI circuit. I am surprised no-one caught on that you are plugged into to shore power, but your battery is dead. I had an issue in my Voltage toy hauler, that was plugged into 50 amp, and everything was on, and one day I noticed there was no power AC or DC. I thought the 50 amp had blown a fuse, or some other problem with the 50 AMP, I could not find any problem with that circuit, I tried 30 Amp, and still nothing, when I checked both deep cycle batteries, they were dead. When. I put another 12 volt battery, everything came on. Apparently the batteries went bad, would not take a charge, and when they went to close to 0 volts, every system shut down. With new batteries, everything has been OK since.
barrymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:52 AM   #12

Illinois
Got it ,, many thnx though