R2100 side door opens while driving - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Colorado
R2100 side door opens while driving

Our 2012 camper has had numerous problems in less than 10,000 miles including delamination of the drivers side, sky lights leaking and window frames on the drivers side popping out. Our latest problem is the side entry door opening while driving. The door fits tight while not in motion, but even with the dead bolt locked we will find the door open after 2 to 50 miles. It is most likely to happen with the 90 gallon fresh water tank full, but it doesn't have to be. I can't physically move the frame and have not figured out what is happening to allow what appears to be a very large amount of movement to allow the deadbolt to clear the frame. This is occurring on city streets. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution that doesn't include a large bungee cord wrapped around the camper?

The camper spent just shy of 8 of its first 13 months at the dealership for warranty issues, only the major problems were fixed - temporarily. We have given up on the dealership and it, of coarse is out of warranty now.

J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like a broken frame connection somewhere allowing that much flex. Especially if 90 gallons of water is involved. That is over 750# of water, if the tank is a bit loose it could be shifting.

I would check the main frame welds first, they are easier to see, then start looking at where the wall meets the floor and look for signs of movement or buckling.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

Colorado
I haven't found any broken welds and the tank seems very secure. The floor of the camper shows the beam on the back side of the tank. The floor is slightly higher at this point making the beam visible. Almost like the back half of the hauler, which has only carried a Harley Electraglide OR two dirt bikes at any given time, is sagging, although I can't find any structural evidence of this, at least while it is not in motion. This beam actually sits well in front of the first axle. My cargo, the bikes sit over the axles with the center of weight slightly forward on them. This problem occurs with and without the bikes loaded.
J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 AM   #4

Iowa
We had the same problem on the garage side door on a trip to Texas this winter with the Harley in the garage. Tied a ratchet strap to the inside door handle and a floor tie down. When we got to Texas I adjusted the striker plate in the door frame, found the dead bolt wasn't going all the way in. No problems then on the way home. Evidently there is a fair amount of flex in the frame on a loaded trailer and the rough roads don't help. I can't see anything wrong with the frame or anything but my dealer ended up putting a new whole new door latch on under warranty just to be safe.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote