Bent Frame...Upgraded to ATC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

Nevada
Bent Frame...Upgraded to ATC

I used to have the 3200, and I really liked the floor plan, but after two separate incidents with the frame on the right side, I decided to move on to another toy hauler.

I had a blow out with Carlise tires (front passenger side) and the frame got tweaked a bit around the same time on the passenger side around the axles. It was straightened up and gusseted and lasted for several thousand miles and dozens of trips. By then I had gone up to the Goodyear G614s and thought I was good to go....but that wasn't the case. Aug 2020 while on my way up to Oregon from Vegas, the passenger rear tire blew. It got overloaded from a spring perch detaching from the frame. Well, insurance was ok with fixing it again even thought it's suspect. The shop did a great job though and fixed it up and added steel bars between the frame rails. But I had enough. I sold it to my best friends sister for a song with full disclosure.

I upgraded to an ATC 3619. Not a garage model, but another 2 axle rig just a bit longer than the 3200. But it's all aluminum except for the axles and hitch. And zero wood. Plus a 7k generator and 3 ACs.

Very different experience, The ATC costs a whole lot more but is very spartan compared to conventional luxury toy haulers. I'm down with it though, but I will say conventional rigs are more 'warm' and inviting. The ATC has latches for all the drawers and it is very very solid. Pulls great also. Came with Goodyears G614s as well. Not messing around and upgrading to 17.5s Contis. In the end though, the ATC is still an RV with RV problems, the shower drain broke in the first week! Oh well.

This is a great forum with great members and superb information. I really like the 3200 floor plan, but the ATC is my new jam. And it looks great too. Good luck folks. Keep an eye on them lippert frames.

PS...Installed Timbrens after the pic of the trailer and truck getting ceramic coated. They really help.

Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:52 PM   #2

Colorado
I have a strong idea your frame issues are in large part due to the correct track hardware installed on your 3200. I installed the correct track on my 3200 as well, mainly to raise the tail end of the trailer and it resulted in similar problems. I ended up having a square tube sub frame fabricated which sits between the frame and suspension. The subframe is welded along the frame several feet in front and behind the forward and aft spring hangers. This has held up so far for more than 20K miles. Correct tracks put too much leverage/strain on the frame and suspension.

Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #3

Florida
Looks like they could have put a little heavier I frame in there. They tried to beef it up but it is clear that the attempt failed. Good luck and safe travels!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #4

Nevada
That idea makes sense about the correct track. Oh well, the ATC has dexters, so its a bit different. The tail is higher than the 3200. No dovetail.

And the frame getting beefed up was aftermarket repair work. The second repair was really stout like how Its4 described. Seemed to pull ok for the few hundred miles I put on it afterwards. But, I was over it and wanted to move on. I still prefer the 3200 floor plan tho.
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote