Water leak? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2023, 01:09 AM   #1

New Mexico
Water leak?

Hi all, I woke up from my nap to find the whole driveway flooded with water under our trailer and the bottom warped out, leaking. Pics included. Anyone ever had this happen to them? A leak underneath I wonder??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230706_200042.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	7573  

TSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 06:17 AM   #2

California
Not sure if your fresh water tank was filled or not. If the tank was filled I would speculate your tank or tanks have a crack in them. I had issues with each of my tanks because the idiots installed them poorly and crushed them just enough that over the years those crushed areas eventually cracked and started to leak. They became worse and worse over about a year after first appearing and required repair.

On the other hand, if you were connected to city water then the leak could be in any one of your pipes but I suspect it is a holding tank leak.

Unfortunately, the coroplast (not sure of the spelling) that covers the bottom of the trailer will make it nearly impossible to determine unless you remove it. In my case we cut around the screws holding it on the frame and pulled it down far enough to see the leak. You might have to drop a few other brackets screwed to the coroplast too. When reattaching just use new self tapping screws right next to the area you cut away and it should hold fine.

As a warning this could be a challenging and difficult repair to make depending on the leak location. In my case we used a two part epoxy and actually glued a piece of hard plastic over the cracks. The epoxy alone might have done the job but I wanted to be safe.

Lastly, do not close up the coroplast until you give the repair time to dry and check again. On my repair each leak I closed up then caused a leak higher up on the tank and elsewhere to appear until my third repair. Oh, and for good measure I would avoid storing your trailer with full tanks for long periods of time as that probably doesn’t help in the long run. On the positive leaking fresh water is far better than gray or black tank issues!

Old 07-12-2023, 08:39 PM   #3
Djs

Utah
Water Leak

I had this happen to me a few years ago. I took the underbelly off to find a 1" slit in the PEX plumbing and an open box cutter knife they left in my 5th Wheel at the factory! I replaced about 4 ft of PEX pipe and the problem was solved.

I also had a spraying leak this last spring with the cheap plastic shut off valve for the water heater bypass. The fitting cracked due to age so I replaced it with a stainless steel 3 way valve for both the water heater bypass and the winterize bypass valve as it was showing signs of cracking also. That won't happen again.

I ended up replacing the underbelly as the old one was deformed from an AT fluid leak from a hydraulic ram when I first got the trailer, but that is another story! Good luck!
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 02:18 PM   #4

Minnesota
Water leaks are never fun. Mine was caused by a critter chewing a hole in the fresh water inlet pipe. The shop fixed it pretty easily, thankfully. No problems since. Critters are out there. Good luck.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:49 PM   #5

Arizona
The tanks are like milk cartons anymore
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha YXZ View Post
The tanks are like milk cartons anymore

Fairly certain you are incorrect because a milk carton is thicker and has better quality control.

Tags
dutchmen, leak, tanks?, water, yukon