Extended Warranties - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

California
Extended Warranties

Hello Everyone,

Getting ready to replace my old 5th wheel with a new one.
Looking for feedback, recommendations, experiences on an extended warranty?
It's been a while since I've dealt with one.

jsweeneyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #2

California
I know they are really expensive but I also know some people swear by them.

Personally, I used to always buy them for lots of products but lately I am moving away from them in general after having difficulties in getting them honored.

Also, with me and my trailer it is basically the better part of a day to drop off my trailer for work and the same for a pick up and then you have the days or weeks, or possibly even months that you have to wait for repairs to be completed. A few months back I found a mobile repair tech that meets me at my trailer and is much more competent than dealers in my opinion. He charges a bit more but when factoring in the time savings I feel I am way ahead. I think if you keep the few thousand dollars you will pay for the warranty set aside for future repairs you will probably wind up ahead. In my case I know if I have a repair of $500 or so I can do this many times before I have spent the same as the warranty cost and it is all on my terms and timeline with zero risk on a non-covered item or denied claim.

By the way if the repair is a modification or enhancement to your rig than that would not be an eligible warranty repair but works on my “program”. For instance when my wardrobe slide motor pulled off the wall the “authorized” repair would have just reattached it but my guy fabricated a metal bracket to hold it so that will never happen again. Similarly when the repair to allow my fridge to cool better was to properly insulate the compartment because Dutchmen didn’t follow the Norcold specs with regard to the maximum gap above the fridge I don’t know how you prove that and get the trailer manufacturer to admit their install was wrong.

If I had a motor home with an engine and tranny as opposed to a trailer I might have felt differently and put more value on one.

My two cents anyway.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #3

Illinois
Punch it into the search. Commented on millions of times. It's like the Ford Chevy debate. Some like them and some hate them.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #4

Washington
There are a ton of warranties out there. Do some research especially what is and is not covered. I cancelled my extended warranty and went with a different company that saved several thousand dollars. The dealer's love them because they are all profit to the dealer, high commissions. Only coverage we kept was the "gap" coverage that covers the gap between a total loss claim and loan if the loan exceeds the insurance payoff as I could not find a replacement. We choose to go with the GoodSam coverage at $20/month as it was comprehensive and met our needs as an example.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty