Water flow/pressure issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2023, 03:16 AM   #1

Arizona
Water flow/pressure issue

Hi. I have a 1995 Dutchmen travel trailer. It's hooked up to "city water". When I turn on the faucets, kitchen and bathroom, there's normal water pressure like you'd expect but it immediately (very quickly) drizzles down to almost nothing and stays that way. Could that be a water filter issue or maybe a check valve somewhere? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or not doing something I should be. This is the first travel trailer I've ever had and don't know too much about it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 🙂 Thank you.

Desertdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #2

Florida
I would check the screens on your water input to see if something is clogging them. Since your RV is so old, I would look at the hoses closely to see if the insides are falling apart. Just for the fun of it, remove the screens from the faucets also to see if you have any "goodies" in them.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:43 PM   #3

California
Probably a dumb question but have you tried running the water hose straight out of the spigot to confirm that pressure on the city side is good and constant?
Old 04-28-2023, 12:35 AM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would check the screens on your water input to see if something is clogging them. Since your RV is so old, I would look at the hoses closely to see if the insides are falling apart. Just for the fun of it, remove the screens from the faucets also to see if you have any "goodies" in them.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!
Hi Frank. I checked the screens on the faucets and they were not gunked up. I looked at the screen on the water hose inlet and it's good. I looked at the check valve in the water hose inlet but I can't tell if it's working like it's supposed to or not. Again, being old, it doesn't look like the pictures of new ones. It's a white, plastic needle plunger thing that is hanging out when I turn off the water hose and remove it. I can push it back in and water spits out at me. What makes me suspicious of it is that it's floppy. Not sure if it's supposed to be floppy. I'm going to try to attach a pic which may or may not even be helpful.
I wanted to fill the onboard tank and use the water pump and see if I get good flow that way, taking the city water connection out of the loop, but I don't know where/can't find the switch to turn on the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230427_165009.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	7534  
Old 04-28-2023, 12:40 AM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Probably a dumb question but have you tried running the water hose straight out of the spigot to confirm that pressure on the city side is good and constant?
Yes
Old 04-28-2023, 02:10 AM   #6

Arizona
Woops, never mind. I see now by looking at a picture of a new one and a YouTube video that mine doesn't have the spring and the little propeller looking thing on the front that's why it's just loose flopping around. Ok, whole new inlet assembly on order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230427_174418_Chrome.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7535  
Old 04-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdy View Post
Woops, never mind. I see now by looking at a picture of a new one and a YouTube video that mine doesn't have the spring and the little propeller looking thing on the front that's why it's just loose flopping around. Ok, whole new inlet assembly on order.
LOL, I was just going to say that that little white thing isn't supposed to flop around! Make sure you get yourself a good water pressure regulator to put on the city water connection at the spigot.. Will maintain a constant pressure to whatever you set it to then you MAY not blow out a line.

Frank
Old 04-28-2023, 11:07 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
LOL, I was just going to say that that little white thing isn't supposed to flop around! Make sure you get yourself a good water pressure regulator to put on the city water connection at the spigot.. Will maintain a constant pressure to whatever you set it to then you MAY not blow out a line.

Frank
Thank you. I ordered an adjustable water pressure regulator along with the new inlet assembly. Maybe this lack of flow issue was actually a good thing so I didn't just hook up the hose without a regulator and blow out my plumbing! I've been pouring over the RV forums trying to figure out this problem so I am learning things a little as I go...like needing a pressure regulator. If I ever manage to get the water squared away then I'll move onto seeing if the water heater works and learn how to work that. I am NOT looking forward to that!
Old 04-29-2023, 11:07 AM   #9

Florida
These little issues are nothing compared to a water leak.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:36 AM   #10

Arizona
Just make sure you fill the water heater before you turn it on. If you aren't sure, open the emergency valve and turn the pump on. The valve is just like one on your home water heater. You should get instant water spraying out with pump on or city water turned on.

Most water pump switches are located on the panel where the tank indicators are. As well as water heater turn on for gas and electric... if your water heater does both.

You also might try finding a owners manual on line. Somebody just might have one.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
Just make sure you fill the water heater before you turn it on. If you aren't sure, open the emergency valve and turn the pump on. The valve is just like one on your home water heater. You should get instant water spraying out with pump on or city water turned on.

Most water pump switches are located on the panel where the tank indicators are. As well as water heater turn on for gas and electric... if your water heater does both.

You also might try finding a owners manual on line. Somebody just might have one.
Hi there. Thank you for your help and advice I really appreciate it. That's good to know about the emergency valve. I do know I have to have it filled before turning it on so I haven't fooled with it yet since I don't have any water flowing. I *think* the water heater is gas only. I'm not sure about switchology for it. There is a switch above the sink, well on the wall kind of behind the sink, with a red light. I don't know if that's for the water heater or the water pump (if its for the pump then the pump is not working). I haven't found the water pump switch yet if not. Ugh. At this rate I don't think I'm going to. My travel trailer is old. It's a 1995 Dutchmen. There isn't an indicator panel, at least not that I have found. The old age is causing me a lot of trouble trying to find info online. I've searched vigorously online trying to find out where the pump switch is to no avail because everything says it should be on the indicator panel which I don't seem to have lol. Most of the information and tutorials are all related to much newer models. I did download an owners manual from the Dutchmen site but it is completely worthless! It doesn't give you locations of anything and is terribly vague. For example it tells me to fill the water tank and and turn on the switch for the water pump. Well that would be great if I knew where it was. But, I'm going to keep pressing on, plodding along inch by inch.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:40 AM   #12

Illinois
In one of the older campers I had there was a switch by the sink on the wall , it was for electric for water heater, but yours could be that OR your water pump
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #13

Indiana
I used to own a 1995 Dutchmen. The gas water heater switch was just above the kitchen counter. The electric water heater switch was above the dining table close to the ceiling. The water pump switch was on the top kitchen cabinet above the sink. Not sure if these locations are the same in all campers? There didn’t seem to be any standardization back then.

oehleron is offline   Reply With Quote