Furrion wiring always 'hot'? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Question Furrion wiring always 'hot'?

I just installed a non-Furrion backup camera on my 2018 Coleman Light 2605RL. When I cut the Furrion plug away to direct connect to the wires, I was surprised to find that they were 'hot' even though the tow vehicle wasn't connected.

The camera works but is active all the time. Shouldn't the circuit only be hot when the tow vehicle is connected and in reverse? Should there be a circuit breaker I can flip to shut off the camera? I don't want the camera to be a vampire draining the batteries 24/7 and I don't want to burn it out by having it active when it is just sitting in storage.

Don&Glo_OKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #2

California
That is wired as an “observation camera” which means it is intended to be always hot. Essentially, you can hook up a camera and see what is behind you while towing at all times. Not just when backing up.

I believe mine is always hot when the battery switch is on or when hooked up to my tow vehicle.

If you bring your monitor in your trailer while camping it allows you to see what is going on outside at all times sort of like a security cam.

If you want back up only you can try to hook into your back up light wiring, but I wouldn’t bother as the draw is very little to power the camera.

However, it is another reason to make sure you use your battery disconnect while in storage. This and other detectors also draw power all the time unless the batteries are disconnected.

Old 06-10-2023, 01:26 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Thanks. I'm now thinking about wiring into a running light so the camera is only on when the lights are on.
Don&Glo_OKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman light 2605rl, furrion mount