Dutchmen 261 BHS problems/solutions thread. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #21

California
Here are a few issues I've had with our 2011 261BHS-K. We bought the trailer new and I fixed many small things myself. These were issues I've had within the first 2 months of owning the RV. Knock on wood after the issues listed below have been fixed the trailer has been great! Fortunately I'm fairly handy. I hate leaving stuff at the dealer for repairs when it's prime camping time...

-Pin hole in high pressure LP hose from regulator. Had to replace complete unit with hoses since factory expoxy hoses into regulator. Fortunately the one hardware store in West Yellowstone had a regulator and two hoses.

-Water leaking around shower control hot/cold valve. leaked so bad water coming through floor and out of trailer. Fixed with silicone.

-Fridge would not cycle from LP to electric. Fixed under warranty. Loose connections.

-Bathroom door hinge screws stripped out. New longer and larger diameter screws.

-Bedroom pocket doors would not stay open during travel. Flipped plastic straps around so snaps work properly.

-Couch drawer kept opening and closing during travel. Installed plasic strap with snal like on bedroom pocket doors.

-U-Bolt holding spare tire too long and poking into sidewall of spare tire. Removed U-bolt and cut it shorter.

-Water pump failed. Replaced under warranty.

-DVD/Stereo kept overheating and freezing halfway through movie. Replaced under warranty.

-Front edge seam on carpet under couch dining/slide out was not sewn right and began to separate. Dealer had it hand sewn.

-LP cover brittle and broken at rivets. Replaced under warranty.

-Broken heater floor duct regulators/vents. Purchased new ones at Camping World. Faster and easier than dealing with dealer for warranty.

-Now I've noticed one of the main floor hear ducts to be collapsing up? The metal seems to be distorted, still watching this to make sure its not my imagination. I have the extended warranty.

-Slide out not adjusted properly from factory and electric ram mount bracket got tweaked and ram nearly twisted itself off. I removed bracket and put in vise and bent it back and re-installed it. Adjusted it myself. Told dealer about problem and they said I repaired it correctly.

-Installed toilet paper roll holder? It wasn't ever installed from factory.

Rustybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #22

Alberta
what are you guys using for a ladder for the bunks?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #23

Alberta
I bought one of those detachable ones from the dealership. It has two little mounts that attach to the bed. It's metal with rubber covers for your feet. I can't believe they don't come with one.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #24

Washington
Twinscrew, where did you mount the toilet paper holder and did you just use screws or? I'm afraid they will strip out on side of cupboard.
My 31' has a built in ladder on one side for the bunk and the one on the other side you step on the couch.
When you turn in warranty work did they have to take pictures, send them in and wait for okay, then order parts and finally fix? Seems to take my dealer forever to get stuff done!!
Thanks for your help!!
CrazyGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #25

Alberta
I haven't done that yet. Not really any great spots to mount it.
As far as I know they haven't taken any pictures of mine. It just seems they are so busy. Maybe for some situations they may need input from the manufacturer. It does take a long time to get things fixed. Very frustrating. Mine spend half of last summer getting fixed.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #26

Saskatchewan
RE Toilet paper holder: DW and I also looked at where to mount the toilet paper roll without damaging anything in our 242RESL, finally bought one of these and LOVE it! Better Living Products | Toilet Valet - Chrome | Home Depot Canada

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #27

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGrandma View Post
Twinscrew, where did you mount the toilet paper holder and did you just use screws or? I'm afraid they will strip out on side of cupboard.
My 31' has a built in ladder on one side for the bunk and the one on the other side you step on the couch.
When you turn in warranty work did they have to take pictures, send them in and wait for okay, then order parts and finally fix? Seems to take my dealer forever to get stuff done!!
Thanks for your help!!
we used the screws and installed into the cupboard I think. It lasted there all of last year.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #28

California
what are any of you doing for a rear bumper bike rack? The stock bumper is pretty thin walled, i wasnt sure it would take the weight of a hitch/bike rack mount.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:35 AM   #29

South Carolina
We just got a 261BHS last week and noticed it didn't have a TP holder either. I put a piece of 3/8" plywood on the inside of the cupboard and ran the screws through the paneling and into the plywood. Should work for years to come.

We don't have a ladder for the bunk but I want to remove the upper bunk anyways.

Any ideas on how to get an a/c duct into the bunk room?
sccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #30

Ontario
Mine came with a TP holder but wasn't mounted. It literally took me a few times camping in the rig to figure out where to put it! o.O We ended up mounting it to the face of the tub in front of the toilet. When I bath the kids, I take it off...otherwise it's a decent spot I guess
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #31

California
I mounted the TP holder on the wall to the right of the toilet (as you sit on it). Nice and convenient and is plenty sturdy. Out of the way from getting bumped. I'll post a pic next time I have my trailer. It's in storage...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #32

South Carolina
TP holder discussion is interesting. Seems to back up exactly why we figured why ours wasn't installed - too many opinions on where it should be! I installed a different one (to match a towel rack and soap dish) where I wanted it. The factory TP holder went in the trash! Good call, Dutchman! Leave it in the drawer. No matter where you install it, most people won't like it! LOL
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #33

California
Hello, I know its been a while, however, can you tell me what kind of rv you purchased from Dutchmen? We purchased a Coleman 2012 fifth wheel brand new in Oct 2012 had 34 line items wrong with it and it took over 6 months for fixes, we believe we bought a used trailer or at the very least a broken one.
my wife fell down the stairs cuz the outside light was placed on the left side of door.
dianejeff92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #34

Saskatchewan
TP holder

When we had our Kodiak we purchased one of these Amazon.com - Better Living Products Toilet Caddy Tissue Dispenser with Magazine Rack, Oil Rubbed Bronze - Toilet Paper Holders because there wasn't a great place to put the supplied TP holder. We liked it so much that when we moved into our Timber Ridge it came with us. Love it

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #35

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
When we had our Kodiak we purchased one of these Amazon.com - Better Living Products Toilet Caddy Tissue Dispenser with Magazine Rack, Oil Rubbed Bronze - Toilet Paper Holders because there wasn't a great place to put the supplied TP holder. We liked it so much that when we moved into our Timber Ridge it came with us. Love it
Ditto, on this type, I didn't see any good place to mount the holder. This works well, but we don't keep reading material in the Bathroom..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #36

California
Has anyone upgraded tires to a 235/80/16? I would really like to get a heavier duty tire and possibly axle set up.

The axles are OK, they are "4400" hybrid deals. I spoke to lippert today and its a 3" tube with 12" brakes and 5200 pound bearings. Not sure why they rate it at 4400 pounds tho.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #37

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
Has anyone upgraded tires to a 235/80/16? I would really like to get a heavier duty tire and possibly axle set up.

The axles are OK, they are "4400" hybrid deals. I spoke to lippert today and its a 3" tube with 12" brakes and 5200 pound bearings. Not sure why they rate it at 4400 pounds tho.
It's the wall thickness of the tube that dictates the weight, you can upgrade the brakes and bearings, but it is still a 4400# axle.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #38

California
Im not sure the wall thickness on it, I think most 5 and ups are .25.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:43 AM   #39

British Columbia
I should have added the part about the tag on the axle. The axle rating is whatever the axle data plate says.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #40

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post

Updated tire from what size? to 235/80r/16.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote