Marker lamps - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2024, 04:40 AM   #1

Washington
Marker lamps

I hooked up my 2019 Ultra Lite this morning and noticed the rear passenger marker lamp wasnt lit. I am only using during day driving this trip so I decided t fix it when I get back. This evening i went for a walk after dark and noticed the other marker lamps (drivers rear and both rear side) were illuminated even though nothing was turned on in the trailer. The truck was still connected but it too was fully off. I pulled the plug to the truck and the lights went out.

I cant imagine this would be a feature I never noticed since it could easily kill batteries. Im wondering what would cause it and how do I get it resolved? I recently replaced the truck batteries but that should be unrelated. I'll check in the battery box when it gets light tomorrow but not sure what else to look for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, how do the marker lamps come off so I can check wiring or swap bulbs if needed? They are LED so would be surprised if all failed at once in the fixture so assuming wiring.

bkenobi69@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:31 PM   #2

Florida
Check the ground!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:48 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Marker lights are powered from the truck. If lights are on when ignition is "OFF", then it is a truck circuit that is faulty.

Some trucks leave lights "ON" when truck ignition is "OFF". Some trucks turn lights "OFF" after a timer runs out.

LED Markers can fail. It is usually not the LED itself that fails, but the associated micro circuit or connecting wires. Dutchmen often uses the cheapest equipment available.

Marker and break lights in Dutchmen trailers are often connected using wire nuts. These may loosen due to vibration. It could be either positive or negative connection.

I have an LED marker that is out. I have been procrastinating doing the troubleshooting.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:03 PM   #4

Washington
I was going to pull the assembly to check connection when I get back. I noticed that the wires for that corner come out from the black plastic basement cover and one green wire is pinched between the frame and sheet by the ground impact bracket (whatever that is called). Im hoping the wire didnt break there but can check.

I was going to check the truck for power on the running lights pin first but if it looks good then something in the trailer must be shorted I assume. We had a guest in the basement last winter so it could have chewed something I suppose. Is the easiest way to check pulling the black sheet down? I cant see any other way.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:15 PM   #5

Washington
It looks like i have 0.1v on the marker lamp pin on truck. The DMM is cheapo so will check with better one later. The lamps are very dim so i only noticed in the dark. When i turn truck marker lamps on the trailer markers are bright so maybe the 0.1v is real.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:00 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkenobi69@yahoo.com View Post
I was going to pull the assembly to check connection when I get back. I noticed that the wires for that corner come out from the black plastic basement cover and one green wire is pinched between the frame and sheet by the ground impact bracket (whatever that is called). Im hoping the wire didnt break there but can check.

I was going to check the truck for power on the running lights pin first but if it looks good then something in the trailer must be shorted I assume. We had a guest in the basement last winter so it could have chewed something I suppose. Is the easiest way to check pulling the black sheet down? I cant see any other way.
For tracing the wiring,
The black sheet on the bottom of the RV is a huge job to get off and on. Mine is secured with, forgot the name, but it a bullet fired nail that goes into a frame. When I remove one, I drill and replace with a #10 self tapping screw. Not an easy job. In fact, becomes easier to cut and tape a section if work needs to be done. I’ve found the wiring under the sheet to be all over the place and not secured to the frame, just resting on the cover.

I’d try to exhaust all other options first. I have a power supply off amazon that could provide a .1 VDC 10 amp load to the pin on the trailer. This would replicate the what the truck is sending and you could see how bright the lights were and let you see if its a truck thing or not.
chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:27 PM   #7

Washington
I have a lab power supply so could try that. There are some screws holding the black mat in place but most look like some sort of rivet. I think they are screws in the back so should be able to investigate there anyway.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:49 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkenobi69@yahoo.com View Post
I have a lab power supply so could try that. There are some screws holding the black mat in place but most look like some sort of rivet. I think they are screws in the back so should be able to investigate there anyway.
They are probably nail heads, not rivets.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:55 PM   #9

Washington
Great... rivets can be drilled. Nails are much harder. Dealer said they drill them all the time but since its not their rig they may not care as much how it looks.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:47 PM   #10

Washington
They are some kind of nail. There are some screws across the back around the black tank bump but not everywhere.

After driving 4 hours home with a number of rough sections, the marker lamp works again. Also, there is no voltage on the truck pins with no key except for 0.12v on the +12v pin to ground. The lights were off so currently nothing to check. I could put 0.12vdc on the marker lamp pin to confirm it glows at night so if I see it again I'll be able to check other things (on the truck side).