Single axle flip - experiences? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2024, 09:31 PM   #1

Florida
Single axle flip - experiences?

Hey Everyone,

Back on the forum with another question - you all have been super helpful.

I am thinking of flipping the axle on my Coleman Lantern 17B. It's single axle (if you don't know) and relatively short. Dexter sells an "under/over conversion" kit for 3" axles. I haven't been able to identify my specific axle using any of the markings on it, but if the OD is what they go by, mine appears to be 3".

I stopped by my local Camping World to pick up some other parts and while I was there asked the parts salesperson if they can do an axle flip for me. He seemed less than enthusiastic, claiming they *might* be able to find a kit for it, but suggested that it was a bad idea. "It won't tow right and you'll be bouncing all over on account of it being a single axle trailer." I'd do it myself but I don't weld and Dexter recommends tack welding the new saddles in place.

It seems like it would be an ideal solution for me, as there were a couple campsites I visited last year where there was a small decline going in (boondocking) and I had hit it at an angle and get another person out to make sure I didn't rip the sewage drain off (it was damn close). I half a half ton truck with a slight lift, so my trailer noses up a bit as it is.

Has anybody done this on a short single axle trailer who can share their experience?

aequitas1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:55 PM   #2

Florida
Not sure this will work but-

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...earchid=281241

There have been lots of discussion about this subject, check it out!

Replacing the springs may be an idea to investigate..

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:51 PM   #3

California
On an earlier trailer I used the 2 5/8" lift kit sold by etrailer. They worked well on my trailer. Easy to install, low cost.... Compatible with #10 Torflex axles with 2,300 to 4,000-lb capacities.

See - https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-707-01.html
Sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:38 PM   #4

Arizona
I would not suggest flipping the axels. The axels have a precise bend in then so when the load gets on them the tires run true and flat on the tread, flipping it will upset this balance and cause excessive tire wear on one edge. You should be able to find information on it. Use a lift kit.
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:07 PM   #5

Idaho
I own an alignment/suspension shop in Idaho and we perform this modification on trailers quite frequently for campers who enjoy boondocking and hunting off the beaten path. This mod will lift your trailer the diameter of your axle plus the thickness of your leaf pack. It does not "flip" the axle, however, it supplies u bolts and an additional leaf spring perch that does need to be welded on the top side of the axle so you can move the axle from the top of the leaf to the bottom of the leaf. This way the camber in the axle is not affected and the ride will be exactly the same as before because you are not changing springs. But as with all other lifted vehicles, you will need to be aware of the higher center of gravity and greater tip over risk. I would recommend staying away from the dealer on this type of work as they will usually farm it out to someone else (like myself) and upcharge the end user (you). Look for local truck shops or places that specialize in suspension or larger vehicles.
Phoenix96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:59 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix96 View Post
I own an alignment/suspension shop in Idaho and we perform this modification on trailers quite frequently for campers who enjoy boondocking and hunting off the beaten path. This mod will lift your trailer the diameter of your axle plus the thickness of your leaf pack. It does not "flip" the axle, however, it supplies u bolts and an additional leaf spring perch that does need to be welded on the top side of the axle so you can move the axle from the top of the leaf to the bottom of the leaf. This way the camber in the axle is not affected and the ride will be exactly the same as before because you are not changing springs. But as with all other lifted vehicles, you will need to be aware of the higher center of gravity and greater tip over risk. I would recommend staying away from the dealer on this type of work as they will usually farm it out to someone else (like myself) and upcharge the end user (you). Look for local truck shops or places that specialize in suspension or larger vehicles.

Great Advice!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote