2018 255BHSL Newbie control panel question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Georgia
2018 255BHSL Newbie control panel question

Newbie here, the previous owners couldn’t tell me how to work anything on the camper because they never used it. So, on the panel next to door, what’s the “electric” and “gas” button for/do? I’m assuming for water heater, but can someone elaborate? Also, if it’s for water heater aren’t you also supposed to make sure there’s water in tank first before turning it on? If so, how do I do that?

And, are these wired to where if you have a 12 volt battery installed that the power is always on, or is there a secret switch somewhere I’m missing to kill power to battery? I know you can install aftermarket cutoff switches but there’s not one, just seeing if there’s something factory installed first.

And one last thing, is there a low water drain anywhere for winterizing stuff? And what are these two water lines with valves on them I took a picture of?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18BE3246-7AFC-4C89-AB5B-FDA59BDF72C0.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	6455   Click image for larger version

Name:	3135C75E-F005-4BE4-B621-5AC708F0B4FC.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	6456  

Backwaterflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #2

North Carolina
I have the same panel and drains on my 2021 283BHSL...You are correct, the electric and gas buttons are your hot water heater. If you plug up to city water, cut your hot water on in a sink until it quits spitting air, flip your power of choice (gas or electric) and you get hot water. Those drains are water drains for winterizing. You may have one more closer to your water storage tank (mine is white and in front of my door) for draining any holding tank water. Hope this helps.

Flintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:13 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
I have the same camper but my panel is different. What the previous posted said is correct about knowing how much water is in the tank. Electric will work well but you'll get quicker recovery on gas.

The drains you posted are the low points for winterizing. There is a small white valve behind the wheels closer to the steps which will drain the fresh tank.

There is no cutoff. You'll have to add one yourself if you want.

We love our 255BHSL! You'll enjoy it.
18ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Good advice above! I don't have the same model as you do, but my water heater works the same as yours.

"Also, if it’s for water heater aren’t you also supposed to make sure there’s water in tank first before turning it on? If so, how do I do that?"

The water heater probably has a "winterizing by-pass". Mine has one manual valve and one check valve. Some have two manual valves. They are set to "by-pass" the heater when draining the tank for winterizing with RV antifreeze. The valves must be set to fill the water heater.

Connect to city water, or fill fresh tank and turn on 12 volt water pump. When the pump stops running the water heater tank should be full.

Open the water heater grill on the outside of the RV. Look for the pressure/temperature relief valve. Operate the handle. Water should flow out of the valve under pressure. If so, the tank is full.

Now is the time to turn the "water heater" circuit breaker switch at the main service entrance to "ON" position. (Turn it off anytime you drain the water heater tank.) Relying on the control panel switch to prevent melting the heating element is risky.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #5

Texas
On a related question I have a Suburban SW6P water heater. This model is non-electric and I can manually light the pilot and heat up the water just fine - once the propane tank valve is open.

What I can't figure out is what the two rocker switches on my control panel are for. One says Water Heater - Gas, the other is Water Heater - Electric. I can turn on one or both and the control panel lights up...I thought maybe there was an inline electric solenoid for the gas line (similar to a setup I have on my sailboat) but the water heats up whether or not either switch is on.

My Kodiak is a used 2017 model (253RBSL) so it is possible the previous owner replaced the water heater in the last 4 years but it seems unlikely.

Anyone have a similar setup? Is this just lazy manufacturing and they installed a control panel regardless of the specific configuration?
dsilvafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #6

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvafam View Post
… Is this just lazy manufacturing and they installed a control panel regardless of the specific configuration?
Without any more details than you’ve provided, then I’d say, yes… although I wouldn’t necessarily call it “lazy”. More like efficient. Multiple rigs move through the assembly line, each with various options & upgrades. Just makes more sense for the manufacturer to use a single type panel, and just possibly the wire harness behind it.

The light is probably just activated when switched ON, regardless of working status.

However, you could be fortunate in that… if the same wiring harness is also used in those rigs, then it may have a connector at the other end if you ever did want to replace what you have with a dual gas & electric model heater.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #7

Wisconsin
My 2018 Kodiak Cub has both gas and electric for my 6 gallon heater. The buttons work just fine.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #8

Texas
Thanks for the replies. Yes, efficient is probably a better term than lazy. I'll just stop worrying about those two switches and continue to light it as I have been
dsilvafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:57 AM   #9

Alaska
Where are the bypass valves located? I just bought an rv and can’t get the water heater to work.
Lgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #10

Florida
Usually on the back of the heater itself.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:11 PM   #11

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Usually on the back of the heater itself.

Thank you I found them.

Lgall is offline   Reply With Quote