New 2015 Kodiak Owners - Need Help/Advice Thanks! - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 17
North Carolina
New 2015 Kodiak Owners - Need Help/Advice Thanks!

Hello! We just recently purchased our new 2015 Kodiak. We went on our first trip in October about a week after we got it. I noticed when we were packing it to go, there was water stain on wall under window in bedroom and floor. I took a few pictures and cleaned it up. It really looked like maybe a window was left open at some point. We have a few minor issues while camping and took it in for warranty work last week. We were told today that the water was due to roof leaking and there was major damage to front cap area. They are covering under warranty of course but I feel this should have been found when they were checking over everything before we purchased. Not sure if repair should be acceptable or if I should demand refund/replacement of travel trailer. This is our first TT and while I don't want to be unfair, I also don't want this to cause further issues down the line when we have no warranty. Any comments/suggestions appreciated!
__________________

mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooretcp View Post
Hello! We just recently purchased our new 2015 Kodiak. We went on our first trip in October about a week after we got it. I noticed when we were packing it to go, there was water stain on wall under window in bedroom and floor. I took a few pictures and cleaned it up. It really looked like maybe a window was left open at some point. We have a few minor issues while camping and took it in for warranty work last week. We were told today that the water was due to roof leaking and there was major damage to front cap area. They are covering under warranty of course but I feel this should have been found when they were checking over everything before we purchased. Not sure if repair should be acceptable or if I should demand refund/replacement of travel trailer. This is our first TT and while I don't want to be unfair, I also don't want this to cause further issues down the line when we have no warranty. Any comments/suggestions appreciated!
I would want to see exactly how far the water damage has progressed. Are the floors showing any signs of being affected.

I have a moisture meter (for checking my firewood), so I would have used that to find how far the water has pentrated.

If you have one I would check the trailer in the presence of the service writer. If you don't have one try a big box home improvement store. I have seen them at HD.

This will give you the ammunition to push the issue if you have to.

I was able to force the dealer I bought my old Airstream back and redo the half a$:ed job they did on the floor.
__________________

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I would want to see exactly how far the water damage has progressed. Are the floors showing any signs of being affected.

I have a moisture meter (for checking my firewood), so I would have used that to find how far the water has pentrated.

If you have one I would check the trailer in the presence of the service writer. If you don't have one try a big box home improvement store. I have seen them at HD.

This will give you the ammunition to push the issue if you have to.

I was able to force the dealer I bought my old Airstream back and redo the half a$:ed job they did on the floor.
I forgot the most important part. Make sure that you get it in writing in detail about what you found and what you expectations are. Let them send that to Dutchmen to see if they are going to foot to bill.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 299
Maryland
mooretcp

First off welcome aboard. You didn't mention which Kodiak you have. We have a 300BHSL and like you had a minor leak in the roof. I discovered where the water was coming in and was able to seal it before anything was damaged. It's amazing how a small hole can result in water penetrating your trailer. I did inspect the walls and ceilings for damage but there was none... apparently the dealer had the trailer leaning away from the hole so that water didn't drain into the hole. While fixing that hole, I decided to thoroughly inspect the entire roof as well as the windows. Found other holes at the antenna mount and the master bedroom passenger-side window... both were easily sealed and we haven't had any further problems.
__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 17
North Carolina
We have the 263RLSL. We went through the unit before signing and didn't notice anything. They were also supposed to have done complete inspection of everything before closing. The weekend after we picked it up was very stormy and usually high rainfall. I'm sure the hole in the roof was already there. The dealer has been great and gotten warranty work approved. Of course parts will take 4-6 weeks. Good thing its during a time we wouldn't be going much anyway. I went by yesterday to see the damage myself. We've also had a lot of rain this week and you could see where the cabinets in the bedroom are delaminating some and damp. They are replacing all cabinets in bedroom and cap of TT. Part of me wants to demand new TT (not sure if they do that ever) and the other part thinks they will fix it correctly and be more diligent about checking it considering we've had this happen. Thank goodness it happened sooner than later. Being new to the RVing world, I just don't know if it will be like new after they fix it or one of those things, that may never be right afterwards. Just frustrated I have to deal with it...
mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Roselle
Posts: 1,208
Illinois
Never trust the dealer to do your inspection. Unless you are dealing with the most reputable dealership, you and he have completely opposite positions. You want your unit fixed the best way possible regardless of the cost, while the dealer is looking for the most cost effective way to get the job done, sometime regardless of the quality of the job. Stay on top of them. The more educated on the repairs you are, the better off you will be. Good luck.
Rusty
__________________
2015 Black F-350 Platinum Diesel Dually Crew Cab
2019 Riverstone Legacy 38MB (Full Paint/All Options)
2015 Voltage 3990 (Full Paint, All Options) Sold 6/18
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 97
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooretcp View Post
We have the 263RLSL. We went through the unit before signing and didn't notice anything. They were also supposed to have done complete inspection of everything before closing. The weekend after we picked it up was very stormy and usually high rainfall. I'm sure the hole in the roof was already there. The dealer has been great and gotten warranty work approved. Of course parts will take 4-6 weeks. Good thing its during a time we wouldn't be going much anyway. I went by yesterday to see the damage myself. We've also had a lot of rain this week and you could see where the cabinets in the bedroom are delaminating some and damp. They are replacing all cabinets in bedroom and cap of TT. Part of me wants to demand new TT (not sure if they do that ever) and the other part thinks they will fix it correctly and be more diligent about checking it considering we've had this happen. Thank goodness it happened sooner than later. Being new to the RVing world, I just don't know if it will be like new after they fix it or one of those things, that may never be right afterwards. Just frustrated I have to deal with it...
Demand a new unit! My 2015 RLSL had an issue (see my first post) we got a new upgraded unit and hope everything will be ok with it... My dealership has it in black and white that if I have any issues in the spring they will be buying this unit back and I will be taking cash to another dealer - I only give 2 strikes.... I hope you unit works out better but I think the263 RLSL should not have been produced, the 4 at the dealership here have all been lemons.
__________________
USAF; 1973-1988 SP & Disaster Preparedness
2015 Kodiak 291RESL
2015 Chevy S-2500 HD (Diesel)
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 17
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Demand a new unit! My 2015 RLSL had an issue (see my first post) we got a new upgraded unit and hope everything will be ok with it... My dealership has it in black and white that if I have any issues in the spring they will be buying this unit back and I will be taking cash to another dealer - I only give 2 strikes.... I hope you unit works out better but I think the263 RLSL should not have been produced, the 4 at the dealership here have all been lemons.
Thank you for your response! My dealer knows we are not happy. They have given us a slide topper (that we had already ordered) and are in the process of repairing. I'm not sure how much help Dutchmen would be since it sat on their lot for a while but we are definitely staying on top of it. I'm hopeful that they will be more aware of any other issues and I know we definitely will! If there is another issue, it will be a different story! I'm trying to be fair but still don't want to be taken advantage of. Its hard when we are new to the game!
mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooretcp View Post
I'm trying to be fair but still don't want to be taken advantage of. Its hard when we are new to the game!
Why be fair, that is the sure way to be taken advantage of.

Water penetration is not something to be to be fair about. I wouldn't trust the most reputable dealer when it comes to an issue like this. The dealer is only going to do the repairs that Dutchmen will foot the bill for.

The interior of a camper is the perfect breeding ground for mould and mildew and I doubt that Dutchmen is going to pay to have the walls ripped down/out to clean up the mess properly.

I just got finished cleaning up the mess in the basement that a small water leak caused. I figured that cutting out 4' of sheetrock would get to the extent of the damage. Well surprise, surprise, another 5' of sheetrock 4' off the floor in both directions got to the end of the mildew.

Your best freind is a moisture meter, get one and find the real extent of the damage.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 17
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Why be fair, that is the sure way to be taken advantage of.

Water penetration is not something to be to be fair about. I wouldn't trust the most reputable dealer when it comes to an issue like this. The dealer is only going to do the repairs that Dutchmen will foot the bill for.

The interior of a camper is the perfect breeding ground for mould and mildew and I doubt that Dutchmen is going to pay to have the walls ripped down/out to clean up the mess properly.

I just got finished cleaning up the mess in the basement that a small water leak caused. I figured that cutting out 4' of sheetrock would get to the extent of the damage. Well surprise, surprise, another 5' of sheetrock 4' off the floor in both directions got to the end of the mildew.

Your best freind is a moisture meter, get one and find the real extent of the damage.
I guess as a businessowner myself I know things happen, but I don't want to be the one on the bad end. Yes we are definitely getting a moisture meter! Just so frustrating!
mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooretcp View Post
I guess as a businessowner myself I know things happen, but I don't want to be the one on the bad end. Yes we are definitely getting a moisture meter! Just so frustrating!
Yes, things happen, but when things happen like your situation it's up to the manufacturer and your dealer to step up and do the right thing.

I spent 311/2 years in the transportation business, things happened all the time and when they did it was up to us to stepup and fix it for the customer. We had a very loyal customer base and service was the thing that kept them coming back. We had a few that russtled from us by other companies. The biggest complement we could got was when they came back to us because of P-poor service from the the other guys.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 17
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Yes, things happen, but when things happen like your situation it's up to the manufacturer and your dealer to step up and do the right thing.

I spent 311/2 years in the transportation business, things happened all the time and when they did it was up to us to stepup and fix it for the customer. We had a very loyal customer base and service was the thing that kept them coming back. We had a few that russtled from us by other companies. The biggest complement we could got was when they came back to us because of P-poor service from the the other guys.

I definitely agree! That's why I trying to let them fix it. I just didn't know if demanding a "new" TT was appropriate or letting them repair. I just tried to compare to a new car..which they would want to fix not replace unless it turned into a lemon. I was and still am just very torn about what I should have done. I do think they will fix it but just worried about future problems.
mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Roselle
Posts: 1,208
Illinois
Don't beat yourself up. What's done is done. Have faith. Perhaps you have a righteous dealer who will do you right. Then you'll have a relationship and you are good to go. God luck and keeping our fingers crossed for you.
Rusty
__________________
2015 Black F-350 Platinum Diesel Dually Crew Cab
2019 Riverstone Legacy 38MB (Full Paint/All Options)
2015 Voltage 3990 (Full Paint, All Options) Sold 6/18
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 17
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Don't beat yourself up. What's done is done. Have faith. Perhaps you have a righteous dealer who will do you right. Then you'll have a relationship and you are good to go. God luck and keeping our fingers crossed for you.
Rusty
Thank you! Praying for the best! I appreciate everyone's advice and comments!
mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,156
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Yes, things happen, but when things happen like your situation it's up to the manufacturer and your dealer to step up and do the right thing.

I spent 311/2 years in the transportation business, things happened all the time and when they did it was up to us to stepup and fix it for the customer. We had a very loyal customer base and service was the thing that kept them coming back. We had a few that russtled from us by other companies. The biggest complement we could got was when they came back to us because of P-poor service from the the other guys.

And the reason Dutchmen has a "loyal" customer base?

I agree taking care of the customer should be job two, building a quality product should be job one. Unfortunately too many companies today don't get it, obviously.

Aaron
__________________

__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2020 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×