Full Timing in a Rubicon 2100 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #1

Louisiana
Red face Full Timing in a Rubicon 2100

Greetings Everyone!

I bought my 2100 (named "TowTow") at the end of last April; bought EmaGene (an '02 emerald green GMC 2500 HD) to pull her with in late August; sold my house in September; and have been full timing ever since.

My previous RV was an '89 Toyota Dolphin, which I loved, with the exception of not having room for Rosie (my '95 Sportster). Dollie taught me a lot about what I wanted and needed. Still, TowTow has presented me with some challenges. A little creativity has taken care of a few, others I am still trying to figure out. Forums like this are a great way to share what works, what doesn't, and help us all keep things in perspective.

I've already accumulated several minor design tweaks that would be easy for Dutchmen to incorporate, yet would make a tremendous difference in the overall functionality and comfort of the 2100. Eventually, I'll be writing about it all on my blog (gypsyspiritsrides.weebly.com). Until then, I'm focused on problem solving and will be reading more than writing.

Happy Trails!
Vagabond Gypsy

Vagabond Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #2

New York
Hi Vagabond Gypsy....welcome to the forum......we do like seeing pictures of mods members have done and this is an easy forum for posting pictures......so please show us some of them!!!!!!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #3

Oklahoma
So still no word on the mods yet? I was hoping to see or hear something. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a 2100 to full-time in but I do fear the lack of insulation. I was hooping gypsy has some mods to help out on this.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Louisiana
Hi Jim ...

Thank you for the note! I am in the middle of changing computers and had lost the link to this forum!

To answer your question, I have not been in freezing temperatures with my 2100 (I call her "TowTow" and the emerald green truck that pulls her is "EmaGene" or "Auntie Em").

Anyway, I have been set up in Florida since Daytona Biketoberfest. It has been down into the 30s here, but not so bad that I've needed to worry about pipes freezing, though I've left the hot water heater on during those really cold nights.

I've always been a barefoot person, but I wear house slippers in TowTow because the floor is cold. I also have throw rugs next to the bed and in the bathroom for when I get up at night.

If you use the furnace, heat ducts to the bedroom ok, but leave the bathroom door open, or it gets really cold in there!

[moderator edit]

As far as sleeping goes ... do yourself a favour and get rid of the mattress that comes in the 2100, unless you want incentive to get out of bed in the morning! IMO it's useful only as a pick up bedliner or to cut up to make dog beds out of! Within a couple months it was so compressed I might just as well have been sleeping on the wood platform beneath it! I'm currently using a Coleman air mattress which is infinitely more comfortable!

A note about air mattresses though, use lots of blankets UNDER you, as the air in the mattress will be the same temperature as the air around it! I also used the mattress cover that came with the 2100 under the air mattress to protect it from getting pin holes from the hinges and wood splinters.

I put a heating pad under the mattress (under the cloth, not next to the plastic) to use like a water bed heater, and will click it on for a cycle if I get chilly during the night.

I also found that it is MUCH easier to make the bed and keep the room neat if I put my feet by the window and pull back the corner nearest the door to climb under the blankets.

I've really only been living in it since October, so I am still learning also. Please stay in touch and let me know how things go for you. [moderator edit]

Happy Trails!
Gypsy
"Cherise" 2001 Harley Sportster 1200 C
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Oklahoma
OK Vagabond,
Thanks for the update. I take it that you have not done any mods yet other that the bed. I pulled the trigger today and will be getting mine in a couple of weeks. I did lay down on the bed because of your statement and I see what you mean. First thing on the need to have list. I was searching through it and in the basement I found a brand new screen wall in the bag. Sure hope it's the right size? I mean why did the previous owner not install it? Is it the wrong size? I will find out and report back when I get it home.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #6

Louisiana
More stuff ...

Hi Jim ...

Most of what I have done so far is relative to making more comfortable living quarters. I installed a second shower rod as high as I could keep it level, so the shower curtain doesn't bunch up in the bottom of the tub for me to step on and trip or tear (I put a decorative curtain on the lower one)

I took the towel rack off from under the stove because hanging a towel there interfered with opening the microwave and obscured the clock. Instead, I hung a three inch plastic ring off the bottle opener to hang my dish towel from. It sometimes gets caught in the drawers, but at least I'm not trying to juggle hot food around it! This arragement also leaves the bottle opener functional.

I hung my screen door, but haven't yet been in a buggy enough situation to use it, so haven't put the velcro down the sides yet. I used Christmas paper tubes to roll it up around and strap it, and have been using the straps to hang my jackets from.

I use small plastic bins from Dollar Tree in the cabinets over the bed. It is much easier to pull down a bin of socks or underwear than have to climb on the bed and root through a mess. Same thing for the most part for the storage in the living room. Plus the bins help keep things from sliding around too much while traveling.

I also put the table in storage. It's not going to be up while I'm traveling, or there's no room for my bike, so it doesn't need to be fast to the floor. It was so large that there was no way to walk along side of it with the couches down. I have a small 18" x 24" folding table I use by my chair, and a 2' x 4' folding table I use between the couches when I want more table space. I have a wedge shape ramp that I use by the ramp door to set the back legs on so the table sits level.

I did have to have the brakes redone on one wheel, an entirely new brake plate. I noticed when I check my tire pressures that one wheel was noticeably hotter than the other three after travelling only four miles. While I was having that done, there was another person at Camping World having the same thing taken care of. I forget what model camper he had, but I believe it was the same axle company.

I still need to take mine back to Camping World as I have never been able to get my generator to work, and have determined that it is a bad fuel pump. I should have fueled it up and tested it sooner!

I also haven't tried my tank flush yet. I've gathered from this forum that several of them were installed backwards, and will do that just before I take it to Camping World "just in case" I end up with a mess!

I also had covers installed over the fan openings, otherwise the fans were not useable if it was raining.

I don't know if you'll be travelling alone, or with a female companion, but I put tension rods inside the window boxes to hang curtains from. It makes it a little more home like and less stark.

The only other thing I have done, that you might really want to think about, is I coated the threaded rod in the stabilizer jacks with never seize. I could see where they were already showing signs of rust and figured it was better to take preventative action. I plan to put some around the pivot points on the step also.

The little round "mood Lighting" lamps by the cabinets pull straight down. The are held in place by wire "wings" (think of a butterfly drywall molly). They are hard to pull down, and they will snap your fingers! Unfortunately, I was able to pull one out, but still didn't figure out how to open it to change the bulb!

The brake and the generator fuel pump are really the only true issues I've encountered thus far. The rest has been more "what were they thinking when they put this here?" type stuff.

It will have been sitting in one spot for six months when I pull out of here in May. We'll see if any new issues arise at that time.

Happy Trails!
~Gypsy~
Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #7

New York
Hey Gypsy - can you tell me where the so called bottle opener is......I have not been able to find it on our 2900!

Thanks
Nana - Kathy
Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Gypsy,
Great write up. Thanks for the hints. I look forward to following your trails and we may cross paths some day out there on the road. It may be some time as I only have a Silverado 1500 at this time and will be having the dealer put on a towing package just so I can get it home. I hope it works out ok with my bike on it and no fuel or water. Not sure yet on the weight that I will be able to pull. Only time will tell. Thank you again you have some great ideas here and I will incorporate some of them and let you know some of mine. Happy Trails.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #9

Louisiana
HI Kathy ...

I'm not sure about in the 2900, but mine is screwed onto the cabinet under the left hand corner of the sink, just above the drawers. I'll get a picture up on my blog site this afternoon. [moderator edit]

Happy Trails!
~Gypsy~

Hi Again Kathy ...
[moderator edit]

Sorry I can't get a picture to you, as the file sizes are just too large for this forum.

~Gypsy~
Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #10

Louisiana
Hi Jim ...
You mention having a Silverado 1500, but don't say what size engine.

Towing capacity varies with engine size, gear ratios, and so on.
Before I bought my truck (an '02 GMC 2500 HD), I spoke with someone who had towed his 2100 with a few different trucks. His feelings were:

1500 with the 5 litre (can't remember if 5.2 or 5.6) pulled it ok but he wished for a little extra "umph"

2500 was just "too heavy a truck" and a fuel hog

1500 with a 6 litre engine gave him the best overall fuel mileage and pulled the 2100 without any problems.

I agree with the 2500 being a fuel hog. I'm getting about 12mpg just running the truck, and about 7mpg when towing. Fortunately, I use my bike most of the time and only run the truck if it's really cold or heavy rain or towing.

~Gypsy~
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #11

Oklahoma
I'll be doing my pdi on Friday. Hope all goes well. Should be able to bring it home that evening. Gypsy if I may what is the brand and model number of you electric fireplace. I like the way it looks and fits. The ones I've been seeing seem to be little things or massive. Have you had to carry your HD yet? I'm shopping for a wheel chock, but I don't want anything on the floor when the bike is parked outside. I will post more when I get it home. The hardest part will be saying goodbye to my kountry star. It has been a wonderful and comfortable home for the last year and a half or so. I will miss the counter space it has in the kitchen, I may have to put in something in the Rubicon as I like to cook and need room to mix things and prep.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #12

Louisiana
Hi Jim ...

I'm away from home until Tuesday visiting family. I don't know if the fireplace has any info on it or not. It was one my mom had, then I put it in my house when she decided to get rid of it. I'll look for info when I get home. I have the strap for the chair wrapped around i's legs.

I have a couple chocks, but never installed them. I brought my Sportster to FL to NY using 4 straps and no chock, keeping her more toward the door. With 2 straps in front and 2 in back pulling against each other she couldn't go any where. Do NOT leave your bike in gear! The rocking pushes the oil down & her cylinders will be dry until she runs long enough to pump the oil back up again. She rocks a little more in neutral, but still holds ok. There should be no need to leave her stand down. I did and used the lid from a coffee can under it as the lip keeps it from getting kicked out from under like. Small rug does.

I put the chair in front of the refrigerator with the back away from it. This way I could still get into it at stops.. i have a coleman cooler that I use to stack my toaster oven and coffee pot on against the wall by the fridge. Also found a 9 x 14 cutting board at a flea market here that fits well as a cover for the small side of the sink to give a little more work room & keep the sink accessible.

Have to run. Will be back in touch in a few days.
Happy Trails!
Gypsy
Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Gypsy View Post
HI Kathy ...

I'm not sure about in the 2900, but mine is screwed onto the cabinet under the left hand corner of the sink, just above the drawers. I'll get a picture up on my blog site this afternoon. [moderator edit]

Happy Trails!
~Gypsy~

Hi Again Kathy ...
[moderator edit]

Sorry I can't get a picture to you, as the file sizes are just too large for this forum.

~Gypsy~
Thanks....I have been told we have one and I still can't find it!!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #14

Louisiana
Fireplace

Hi Jim ...

The fireplace I have is a Dimplex. I don't see a model number on it, but I went to their website and think it is probably Model # CS-1205, electric stove. Mine seems slightly larger, but that could be differences due to age.

Hope that helps!
Gypsy
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #15

Oklahoma
thank you for your time. It does look sorta the same. I have plenty of time to find one hopefully winter will be over soon. So far Friday is my pdi and delivery date. I'm having the dealer put in a complete tow package for the drive home. Thank you again.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #16

Oklahoma
It's here. Picked up the Rubicon today and brought it home. Now trying to get it stocked up. Hey Gypsy, does yours have the screen wall? Mine came with one but I am unsure of where to put the Velcro strips. It has a rain side and a screen side that can be rolled up separately. I can see I am going to see I am going to have to add some extra batteries. I have the power jack on the tongue and it totally drains the 12v battery that came with this TH. I have a set of T-105's I will wire up to gain some extra amp hours. I have a Trimetric 2025RV that I will also install. Oh what fun this is going to be. I'll attach some pics tomorrow maybe if the weather holds out. It going to get real cold again tomorrow night.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #17

Louisiana
Congratulations!

I am presuming you are overjoyed! It's a great little house! Yes, I have the screen wall and have not yet installed the velcro myself. I've just left the ramp down a few times, but there were not enough bugs to worry about it. I do have it hanging to where I just need to unroll it if I want. I used Christmas paper tubes to roll each side around so it goes up neatly, then store my yard stick and walking stick inside the tube. Little things like that help maximize storage space!

I'm getting ready for Daytona Bike Week right now. TowTow is stayng here and I'm riding Rosie (my Sportster) over. I stay in the store where I work on Main St. and there just isn't enough space for EmaGene and TowTow in the alley with everyone else's vehicles!

Anyway, I'll probably be offline for a couple weeks, Email me if there is something you want/need a quick reply to as I'll be checking that by phone.

Enjoy!
~Gypsy~
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

Oklahoma
Performed my first mod to the Rubicon. Took some scrap wood from the wood shop and made a mount and stand for the sink cover for extra counter space allowing me to use the sink for water when cooking. Pictures will follow later this week. I have to finish designing a way to hold it in place maybe a bungie cord? I am trying to keep the weight down and re-use existing parts. I also began checking how to run my solar wiring from the roof to the controller and batteries. More to come.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Oklahoma
So Gypsy made a valid point on using the seating. I just ordered a pair of folding shelf brackets and will try a different approach to adding more counter space my first attempt works fine but can't use the seat and mod together. I did however get my trimetric 2025RV mounted and hooked up to my two Trojans next is to add a wire to the jack battery so I can monitor both battery banks. I will need to periodically manually charge the jack battery the solar will charge up the house batteries.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #20

Oklahoma
As promised here are pictures of the counter top extension. I used 8" folding shelf brackets which allow the extension to work with the seating up or down now.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...m/P2140438.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...m/P2140439.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...m/P2140440.jpg

Tags
2100, full time, rubicon