Akuret tires no good? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #21

Wyoming
Interesting thread...

Had a sidewall bubble appear on one of my Akuret tires during my last trip... and just had it replaced under warranty at CW.

Unable to find an Akuret dealer nearby (thankfully)... they replaced it with a Goodyear Marathon.

Just wondering if anybody's got any experience running these tires?

Goodyear RV Tires

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Actually, not really . The truck has a gross cargo weight rating of 23000. And the pin weight is well within the trucks (and rear axles) GVWR and GAWR per Ford. The tires I run are rated for more than the axle is rated for. I am comfortable with the truck, I just find the trailer tires to be somewhat marginal in the calculations.

Hey Chalkie
I must be missing something here. Every thing I read on the '08 F250 says GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is 23000 lbs. That's loaded truck and loaded trailer added together, right? With actual trailer weight rating at 12500 lbs.
I attached an article from Edmunds.com.
I'm just wondering what you think about this. Did the dealer tell you that it was Ok to tow your trailer with this truck? Just seeing if I'm missing something here.

What's New for 2008
The 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty has been fully redesigned. Under the skin, a number of major upgrades take place. Ford says the chassis is stronger than before and now has a new type of coating for improved corrosion resistance. The rear suspension has also been tweaked to improve ride and handling without compromising capability. For power, there's an updated version of the PowerStroke diesel engine. It now displaces 6.4 liters and makes an impressive 350 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque. Also new this year are higher-grade cabin materials, a standard MP3 audio jack, available power telescoping/folding side mirrors and a unique, drop-down tailgate step that makes getting into the bed easier.
Introduction

For most folks, a half-ton pickup truck, such as Ford's own F-150, is more than adequate, easily handling the occasional hauling and towing chores Joe Suburbanite may throw at it. Transporting goods from Home Depot, moving the kid to college and towing a pair of jet skis or snowmobiles aren't a problem for a half-tonner. But for equestrians, owners of large boats and those who tow trailers that resemble rolling condos, a 3/4-ton pickup is a must. Ford's entry in this class is the 2008 F-250 Super Duty.
Although a capable and very popular workhorse, the outgoing Ford F-250 Super Duty was a dated design compared to the more recently revamped rivals from GM and Dodge.
The Ford's performance lagged behind and the cabin didn't offer the comfort, storage and luxurious feel of the newer trucks. For 2008, Ford has revamped the F-250 Super Duty pickup considerably, giving this sales chart superstar greater work capacity along with a much improved interior.
More than just the aggressive, in-your-face looks, the freshened front end styling brings a functional advantage. The higher hood, bigger grille and redesigned front bumper all allow more cool air to reach the radiator. Available behind that grille is a larger PowerStroke diesel engine. Now at 6.4 liters (versus 6.0 liters last year), the new engine has twin turbochargers -- a small one for quick response off the line and a larger one that kicks in to beef up the midrange.
A high-pressure common-rail fuel system with high-tech injectors is also new for the diesel; Ford says that because these injectors administer fuel in up to five metered spurts per combustion cycle rather than all at once, reliability is improved, emissions are reduced and the engine even runs quieter. Another benefit is quick startup -- this diesel can fire up in fewer than 2 seconds at minus-20-degrees F.
Supporting the new engine is a stronger frame. Ford says it's tougher than before thanks to new reinforcements and increased usage of high-strength steel. There's also a new rear suspension design; it's said to improve stability during acceleration, braking and cornering. It should also lower the truck's rear end for easier towing of tall gooseneck or fifth-wheel trailers.
Previously, we lauded the Ford’s heavy hauler for its work capacity and smooth ride and handling qualities, but took issue with its back-of-the-pack performance and cold interior ambience. This year's major improvements, namely the more potent PowerStroke engine and revamped cabin, go a long way toward putting the 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty back near the top of the class.
Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

The 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty 3/4-ton pickup truck comes in Regular Cab, SuperCab (extended cab) and Crew Cab body styles. The SuperCab has a pair of small rear-opening rear doors, while the Crew Cab has four conventional full-size doors. SuperCabs and Crew Cabs are available with a short (6.75-foot) or long (8-foot) bed; regular cabs are long-bed only.
Four trim levels are offered: base XL, midlevel XLT, off-road oriented FX4 (4WD only) and luxurious Lariat. Regular cabs are available only in XL and XLT form. The XL is meant for those who just need a bare-bones work truck; it comes standard with plain vinyl upholstery, a basic AM/FM radio, 17-inch wheels and not much else. Additional comforts such as air-conditioning are optional, or one could move up to the XLT, which adds cloth upholstery, an MP3 audio jack, a 40/20/40 front bench, a CD player, cruise control, chrome wheels and full power accessories. The FX4 provides serious off-road hardware, including skid plates, heavy-duty shock absorbers, a limited-slip rear axle and a manual-shift transfer case. High-line Lariats come with features like 18-inch alloy wheels, leather upholstery, power front seats (driver-seat only on Regular Cab) and dual-zone automatic climate control. All trims come with a clever flip-down tailgate step that hides within the tailgate when stowed.
Depending on the trim, numerous options are available, such as reverse park assist, a navigation system, power folding and telescoping mirrors and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system. The XLT Sport package includes a monochrome treatment with color-matched bumpers and grille, foglamps, chrome step bars and privacy glass. The King Ranch package provides two-tone paint, 20-inch alloy wheels and fancy leather seating and trim inspired by a western saddle. Highly recommended for those who tow is the Tow Command system option, which seamlessly integrates the control of the trailer brakes with those on the truck.
Powertrains and Performance

There are three engine choices for the F-250 Super Duty: the standard 5.4-liter gasoline V8 (which makes 300 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque), an optional 6.8-liter V10 (362 hp and 457 lb-ft) and the most popular choice (and the one recommended for those who do serious hauling and towing), the available 6.4-liter PowerStroke turbodiesel V8, which now makes 350 hp and 650 lb-ft. Regardless of engine choice, buyers have a choice of transmission: a six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic and either two- or four-wheel drive.
Properly equipped, the 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty can tow up to 12,500 pounds and handle a 23,500-pound Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) when fitted with the optional 4.10 rear axle.
Safety

Antilock disc brakes are standard, but neither side- nor side-curtain airbags are available. Power-adjustable pedals are optional on XLT and Lariat models (equipped with automatic transmission), as are rear parking sensors.
Interior Design and Special Features

A rugged, industrial theme marks the revised cabin, and materials quality is improved over the previous truck. Chrome accents surround the gauges and air vents, while the new center stack puts controls in easier reach. Dual door pockets and a massive center console/armrest address our previous gripes about inadequate storage. In fact, the center console box is now big enough to accommodate a laptop and/or hanging files. In crew cabs, folding the rear seats up reveals a flip-out utility tray that keeps the load floor flat.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Interesting thread...

Had a sidewall bubble appear on one of my Akuret tires during my last trip... and just had it replaced under warranty at CW.

Unable to find an Akuret dealer nearby (thankfully)... they replaced it with a Goodyear Marathon.

Goodyear RV Tires
I ran Marathons on my Airstream, they were a good tire when they were made in the US.

Goodyear in their infinite wisdom decided that they would move production to China.

I no longer buy Goodyear tires.

Too many North Americans are losing their jobs to off shore interests.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Interesting thread...

Goodyear RV Tires
I ran Marathons on my Airstream, they were a good tire when they were made in the US.

Goodyear in their infinite wisdom decided that they would move production to China.

I no longer buy Goodyear tires.

Too many North Americans are losing their jobs to off shore interests. If I have too I'll go back to bias ply tires to buy NA made tires.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #25

Nevada
I'll double that. Too many North Americans are losing their jobs to off shore interests. If I have too I'll go back to bias ply tires to buy NA made tires.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
I'll double that. Too many North Americans are losing their jobs to off shore interests. If I have too I'll go back to bias ply tires to buy NA made tires.
Oh ya ask the guys that USED TO WORK WORK in the NA rubber industry.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Oh ya ask the guys that USED TO WORK WORK in the NA rubber industry.
Sorry I missed your post ones too many glasses of wine with supper.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #28

California
Quote:
Interesting thread...

Goodyear RV Tires
So you're mixing tires? Akurets and Goodyear. Both made in China. I have nothing against making things in China. But mixing tires... not sure about that. Maybe it works out ok.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #29

New York
OK - I think (just my opinion) that the moderators need to pull the weight discussion, from this thread and put it in its own thread.....it is getting lost and it is a very good discussion!

And as and as a side note - we don't have an Infinity, but we have a pull behind Rubicon 2900; weights per brochure = unloaded 8129 (lbs) (accu weight on trailer = 9084) Hitch 1362 - cargo - 3871; we had our rig/TH weighed last year while we were on a 3 week vacation (and my husband says I do not pack light).....steer axle = 10640; trailer axle 9200; Gross weight = 19,840...... believe it or not we have 3:55 gears (did not realize that when we bought the truck) - we have added a 350 spring and air bags (?) to the rear to avoid sag......

Properly equipped, the 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty can tow up to 12,500 pounds and handle a 23,500-pound Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) when fitted with the optional 4.10 rear axle.

Key words in the above are: "properly equipped" and "optional 4.10 rear axle"........just saying!

Kathy
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #30

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
OK - I think (just my opinion) that the moderators need to pull the weight discussion, from this thread and put it in its own thread.....
I agree and took my response to a PM as it was getting totally off the original topic.

If the mods would like to split this off or remove the off topic posts that would be awesome.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #31

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
So you're mixing tires? Akurets and Goodyear. Both made in China. I have nothing against making things in China. But mixing tires... not sure about that. Maybe it works out ok.
Yeah well... it may all be a moot point anyway. I'll be towing it to the Hershey RV show, where I may be trading her on a 3895 floor plan. I could use 2 more feet in the garage... and my fat ass needs a full bath. I'm tired of trying to take a decent shower in a phone booth.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I happen to think the biggest factor leading to tire failure, regardless of brand, is overloading or too much speed. And Dutchmen does not help that out with their own posted numbers.

Let's take my trailer, a 3640RL 5er. Dutchmen's posted weight is 12,345 with 3156 cargo capacity for a potential GVW of 15,501. Now the axles are each rated at 7,000. Hmmm, that is 14,000. Does not add up. Tires, and let's use the Maxxis for numbers, are rated for 3420 each at max inflation for the size tire on my trailer which adds up to 13,680. Again, does not add up.

Perhaps the largest precaution you can take with tires is to know the loaded weight of the trailer (take it to a scale) and watch your speed.
Add to that neglect. We were on I90 in SD last week, had the cruise set at 62 MPH. Guy comes flying up behind me, must have been doing 75-80, he gets past me about 300' and boom, both right side tires blew within a fraction of a second of each other. Two skid marks one on the road and one in his shorts.

Took him the better part of 1/2 a mile to get whooed up and on to the shoulder. We pulled up behind him, to give him a hand to have a look.

Quite obviously this guy did not know what a pressure gauge was for. When I looked at his left side tires I thought they looked like they were low. I loan him my gauge and he checks his left side tires, 50#s one and 53#s in the other.

So he limps to Rapid City at about 65MPH, with one tire on the right side, says he's just going to replace the right tires.

I shake my head and say Good Luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #33

California
Just remember to subtract the weight being supported by the truck. Your tires aren't carrying 100% of the weight. The manufacturers are counting on that little fact. Otherwise, like many are saying, "it doesn't add up."
Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #34

Quebec
Yes .... if your 3640RL is like mine, I believe there is about 2500 lbs on the hitch. That brings your numbers within range.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #35

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
That brings your numbers within range.
As I said in post #18 ... barely.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #36

California
If your numbers are in range, then you're safe. I just went over this with Ford. My combined weight is 28,500 pounds. I'm within the 30,000 for my truck. I'm getting close, but after lengthy conversation with Ford, they stand behind their truck rated at 30,000 pounds combined. It won't put too much strain on the drivetrain, plus I tow on relatively flat ground once a month. If it were more frequent, and I was doing hills, I'd probably want a Sportchassis.

The tires will take the load, as long as you stay within the rating. Keep them in good shape, take care of them, fee and water, groom them. Should last you just fine unless alignment is off. I'm sticking with the Akuret tires until they prove themselves unworthy.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #37

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
I thought the same thing when I looked at my Akuret tires. Wait until you see them off the rim, you will change your mind.
I'm pretty sure Dutchmen uses the same tire on all of there Voltage products. They buy them by bulk. (I'm sure very cheap)

I purchased my Maxxis tires from onlinetires.com. The size is 235/80-16. They are load range E. Radial TRL M8008 tire.
They cost $138.59 X six.
Waytoogood, who installed your tires on your rims (RV shop or regular tire place) trying to figure out if I want to buy a set of six 17.5" wheels/tires from Trailer-Wheels.com or just buy 6 new tires, just trying to figure out where to take it for mounting and balancing! 3900 is a lot of money for the 17.5's and Goodyear G614 RST.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #38

California
So far, no problems with Akuret tires. They're looking good, and running strong. I always keep the pressure pegged at 80 psi. Don't drive faster than 60, except to pass a slower vehicle, than back to 60 again. We'll just keep on truckin' with them, and see what happens. I can't imagine an organization as large as Dutchmen, who makes as many trailers as they make, and who takes on as much liability as they do, putting an "inferior" product on their product. It could just be me, but after talking to some old timers in the tire industry, it appears I'm doing the right thing. Don't drive too fast, and keep the tires at pressure. Time marches on.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #39

Sounds just like me. Always aired up, kept the speedo on 60. The tires looked good until BOOM and the entire tread portion blew off. No warning., It was in rain so hear would not be a factor. Upon removing them I found another tire with a big bubble on the inside sidewall just waiting to blow. Believe it now or believe it later, those crappers are going to explode and take out part of the side of the camper. Yes Dutchmen put china bombs on your camper and mine and everyone elses and their crap.
As a side bar note, I filed over 2 weeks ago a claim with Lionshead who is the adjustor for Akuret tires. I have not heard a peep from them not even an acknowledgement they are working the claim. They are as bad as the tires. You say call them??? well the adjustor Brenda is always on the phone or away from her desk but leave a message and she will call you back.. what a joke that is.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #40

New York
Tanman, can you tell me where/how you filed your claim?

Our tires are showing very uneven wear, axle people & Dutchmen are saying to file a claim with Lionshead!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote