Akuret tires no good? - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #61

Saskatchewan
Thanks HDDECKER for the tip on tire sidewalls. I'm replacing my Akurets as soon as the weather warms up (April). Something else that I'll be replacing at the same time is the bearing dust covers. For some reason I can't keep these on my wheels. Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread, it has been education well needed.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #62

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Thanks HDDECKER for the tip on tire sidewalls. I'm replacing my Akurets as soon as the weather warms up (April). Something else that I'll be replacing at the same time is the bearing dust covers. For some reason I can't keep these on my wheels. Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread, it has been education well needed.
Hey, kayak...

I have the same problem with the dust caps on my flatbed cargo trailer. My solution, clean the drum and dust cap with a good degreaser, then one more wipe down with lacquer thinner. The I put a wrap of aluminium duct tape around the drum/dust cap. I like the AL duct tape, because you can mold it around the cap.

When you start shopping for tires, take a look at the Gladiators. That's what I put on in NL last September. They have 6000 miles on them vs the 4200 miles I got from the Power Kings. If it wasn't for the alignment issues with the axles they would most likely make it to 15k.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #63

Oklahoma
I am wondering how you guys that run the G614 RST justify the 110 psi required by Goodyear on the Hi Spec wheel that is rated at 80 psi.

Am I the only triple axle running the 07 series of this wheel? I'm looking to purchase 6 G614s but the recommended 110 psi on the 80 psi wheel is buggin' me a little.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 AM   #64

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I am wondering how you guys that run the G614 RST justify the 110 psi required by Goodyear on the Hi Spec wheel that is rated at 80 psi.

Am I the only triple axle running the 07 series of this wheel? I'm looking to purchase 6 G614s but the recommended 110 psi on the 80 psi wheel is buggin' me a little.
Maximum air pressure specs on the wheels is the most over looked factors when upgrading tires. The correct thing to do is upgrade the wheels when you go to a tire that has a higher. max pressure.

A tire reputable dealer will confirm the wheel capacity before installing a tire that is over spec for the wheel. There would no doubt be a liability issue if there was a wheel failure due to the higher pressures.

I can't remember which forum had the pictures of the wheels that failed due to a higher pressure tire, I only remember they were not pretty.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #65

Saskatchewan
Thank you hddecker for your thoughts on these tires and dust covers. I've been doing bearings since I was a teenager (too many years to count) and these are the lightest dust covers that I have ever seen. If you watch how these wheels twist when making a turn these caps don't stand a chance of staying on. I brought it up with the Dutchmen dealer here in Regina and he had never of it. One of the things on my to do list is to find a better quality cover - i.e. Bearing Buddy but if I can't find one I'll have to do as you did.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #66

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Thank you hddecker for your thoughts on these tires and dust covers. I've been doing bearings since I was a teenager (too many years to count) and these are the lightest dust covers that I have ever seen. If you watch how these wheels twist when making a turn these caps don't stand a chance of staying on. I brought it up with the Dutchmen dealer here in Regina and he had never of it. One of the things on my to do list is to find a better quality cover - i.e. Bearing Buddy but if I can't find one I'll have to do as you did.
X2 on bearing repacking. Learned the "old way" clean & dry the brearing, then the blob of grease in the palm and pack any. Friend of mine had one of those bearing grease gun addons. He took just as long to pack bearings, but made a bigger mess.

I still repack bearings by hand even with the Ez lube hubs, they may be ok to give the hubs a boost in between clean and repacking, but you have no idea what's going on inside the hubs if you don't inspect them on a regular basis.

As far as the dust caps are concerned, and made where? I had never seen a dust cap that could be popped off with a stubby screw driver when they made in NA and with heavier material.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #67

Texas
Based on what I've read tire pressure should be set based on actual weight being carried by the tire which is found in the tire manufacturer Load and Inflation Tables. We've got the Akuret's on our 2013 Rubicon and have some where over 5000 miles on them, they still look fine, haven't had any trouble with them and I do watch them closely. Had a really fun time getting the load Inflation table for them. Also, as a side note. Our 2012 Ford F-320 came with Michelins and at about 7000 miles all four developed what looked like weather checking all the way around the rims located right next to the bead. (they've been replaced)
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #68

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfire View Post
Based on what I've read tire pressure should be set based on actual weight being carried by the tire which is found in the tire manufacturer Load and Inflation Tables. We've got the Akuret's on our 2013 Rubicon and have some where over 5000 miles on them, they still look fine, haven't had any trouble with them and I do watch them closely. Had a really fun time getting the load Inflation table for them. Also, as a side note. Our 2012 Ford F-320 came with Michelins and at about 7000 miles all four developed what looked like weather checking all the way around the rims located right next to the bead. (they've been replaced)
All I can say to anyone still running Akuret tires is take some pictures of your rig around the wheel wells. You will need them for your "before and after" shots for your insurance company when they blow and they will !!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #69

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post

Some of are we fortunate enough not to have the Hi Spec Wheels.

We talked of this earlier in a post and you gave a link to your wheels. I mentioned the Sumec and it was questioned as to whether they would handle the 110 PSI. I got under the trailer and they are stamped on the back DOT rated 110 PSI and 3960 LBS.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ires-1459.html

Thought you would have read this.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #70

Oklahoma
I found this interesting.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

This is the tire load/inflation table from Goodyear for RV tires. I pulled this off of the page for the G614 tires. According to the page, RV tires should never be under inflated. They recommend that the tires be inflated to a minimum pressure based on the load they are carrying.

Here is my math with numbers from the CAT scales:
Voltage 3905 empty wt. 16,200lbs
Voltage 3905 maximum gross wt. 19,000lbs
Hitch Pin weight (Loaded rear axle wt. - unloaded axle wt.) 3720lbs
19,000-3720=15,280 actual weight on the trailer axles.(at gross wt.)
15,280 divided by 6 (tires)=2,547lbs on each tire.

According to the Goodyear chart, for my G614 size LT235/85R16 tires, the minimum inflation pressure at the maximum gross weight of the trailer is 65psi (single). So, if I inflate the tires to the maximum pressure of the Hi Spec rim, I am still well within the safe inflation pressure of the tire at that load.

Now before everyone starts telling me that you should always run the maximum pressure for your tires, I have a good friend that owns a lot of tire stores, a tire recycle plant, and 2 tire recap facilities. In other words, he knows a LOT about tires. His advice is the same as the information on the Goodyear site, make sure that your tires are not UNDER inflated. You don't have to run the maximum, just use the chart. That is why they publish the chart. As he said, if you were supposed to run the max pressure, then why would they publish the chart. Go to the door on your car or truck, look at the recommended tire pressure, then look at the maximum recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tire. I am pretty certain, that the recommended pressure on the door sticker will not be the maximum for the tire, and the manufacturers know all about this, but still recommend running the lower pressure because the tire is not carrying its max load.

So, to all of you wondering if you are taking a chance by running the 110psi G614's on your Hi Spec wheels, just back them down to the 80 psi that the rims are designed for, and you should still be able to load 3042lbs on each tire, for 18,252lbs of capacity, PLUS the pin weight that the truck is holding. (3720lbs in my case) for a grand total of 21,972lbs (for my trailer). That is actually over the gross weight of the trailer by almost 3000lbs.

In conclusion, I believe that I will be well within my safety factor running 80psi in those tires, but as always, I will be constantly taking tire temps, and have my tire monitor on watching pressures.

I am by no means an expert on tires, but I feel that I have done my due diligents in my research. Don't listen to just me, go do the research yourself, and if you come up with something that I missed, by all means, post it, but have the facts to back it up. If you feel as I do, great. If it still makes you uncomfortable running the low pressure, then DON'T. Solve this dilemma however you feel you need to.

Now go ahead and start the debunking of this information if you want to.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #71

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Hey, kayak...

I have the same problem with the dust caps on my flatbed cargo trailer. My solution, clean the drum and dust cap with a good degreaser, then one more wipe down with lacquer thinner. The I put a wrap of aluminium duct tape around the drum/dust cap. I like the AL duct tape, because you can mold it around the cap.

When you start shopping for tires, take a look at the Gladiators. That's what I put on in NL last September. They have 6000 miles on them vs the 4200 miles I got from the Power Kings. If it wasn't for the alignment issues with the axles they would most likely make it to 15k.
Gladiator's are also cheap, Chinese made tires. What did you gain over the cheap, Chinese made Power Kings? Just wondering.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #72

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Hey, kayak...

Solved both the Akuret tire and dust cap problem this week as DW and I purchased a new Timber Ridge 260RLS. We'll likely stay active on this forum as there are a lot of really nice people on here.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #73

Texas
About time..
Link on Tire Load / Inflation Charts
Lots of information out there on this subject that needs to get spread around..
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #74
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
My experience says get rid of them! I had about 3000 miles on mine when one just blew up. I had checked them at a rest stop 10 minutes before this happened. Pressure great, no signs of any issues and were just about a year old. Never fun having this happen. I put on Goodyears. Yes, they are pricey, but I really like them and don't what issues. I have towed for 35 years and this is the first tire I have ever blown. Just ism not fun.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #75

Quebec
OK. You all got us.... We will take possession of our new Kodiak 242 RESL tomorrow morning, including original Akuret tires. I have already ordered 4 Goodyear to replace them. Hopefully I will find someone to buy the Akuret ones.
Lac-Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #76

California
I switched out to 17.5" tires & rims on my Teton after blowing 8 or 9 tires sense it was new in 03. I shouldn't have wasted all that money & frustration over the years on all kinds of different 16" tires. Once I bit the $ bullet & bought the 17.5 I haven't had any tire problem. Once I get my Voltage I'm swapping out the tires & rims with the ones of my Teton.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #77

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac-Simon View Post
OK. Hopefully I will find someone to buy the Akuret ones.
Why would you sell a tire that you would not trust your own family to?
Congrats on your new trailer!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #78

Arizona
For the same reason I'm selling the Westlake tires off my 3600 - some folks don't care what tires they're riding on, even some folks on this forum.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #79

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Why would you sell a tire that you would not trust your own family to?
Congrats on your new trailer!
I sold mine at a yard sale. Guy asked why I was selling almost new tires. I told him I did not trust them. He was happy as could be to find them at for CHEAP.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #80

Wyoming
If Akuret tires are indeed that unsafe I personally would not be able to do this. Not everyone does good research and selling something to someone that is not safe is irresponsible in my opinion.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote