City Water Inlet... Constant Leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Wyoming
City Water Inlet... Constant Leak

Another day, another issue...

Has anyone else had to replace their city water inlet? I've tried 2 different hoses, 2 different 90-elbows, and 3 different pairs of quick-connects... tried with the quicks, w/o them... tried with & without the elbows. Have teflon-taped all of the threads. Even tried doubling up the hose washers. Now have the hose directly connected to the inlet valve, and I've still got a constant trickle leak running down the hose.

Only conclusion i can draw is that the inlet is worn out and in need of replacement. Right? Exactly what there is to wear out, I don't know... but I can't think of where else to look.

I know I can get one from any RV shop... but before I do, just wondering if anyone has another idea to try?

Also... does anyone know if the threads for the inlet on a Voltage are FPT or MPT?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #2

Ohio
I have not replaced it. But have spent time behind the wet wall. I have had it leak some, but not constant like yours. I made sure washer was seated well and use a 90' to drop down. Mostly for stress bend. It looks like you have tried the obvious things, it may be the inlet connection is leaking from the back of the inlet hose threads (the factory crimp around part) and the cover cap. The part that swivels while you thread. That's what I thought mine was doing. The back side of that IC is not well supported as it feeds up into the mess of other pex.

Per Wiki
"The thread standard for garden hose connectors in the United States, its territories and Canada is known as "garden hose thread" (GHT), which is 3⁄4 inch (19 mm) diameter straight (non-tapered) thread with a pitch of 11.5 threads per inch (TPI)."
Others break this down to FHT (female hose thread) and MHT (male hose thread). NPT pipes are threaded with a taper.

2015 Voltage 3605
KN5DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:36 AM   #3

Wyoming
Well, being the impatient sort that I am , I went back out and removed the inlet. Not as easy as the YouTube videos show in that... after removing the 3 screws on the outer flange, the fitting began during the wall will NOT pull thru the opening. Which means you have to get access behind the panel. Fun, fun...

Anyway, as expected, there was no teflon tape on the threads. I removed it, taped it, and reconnected the hose. I've still got a small leak, but at least it's down to a drip now instead of a steady stream. I left it as is, and will pick up a new one tomorrow and see how it works.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #4

Ohio
The basement wall looks worse than it is. Should be 2-3 screws holding a metal plate at seam to wet compartment. Then 2-3 at other end of that panel. A square bit and screw gun make fast work of it.

They use the pex squeeze type crimps on most of the fittings. You might need that crimper to put a new one on. Might save a trip n extra hassle.

To be fair these things are really less hassle than house. Eg. I had to tear apart the garbage disposal first thing this morning to "fix" it.
2015 Voltage 3605
KN5DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

Kansas
How do you access behind water connection panel? I am having same issue.
KEDofKansas is offline   Reply With Quote