Duct work - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

Virginia
Duct work

Well, I removed the panels in the storage area to install my surge protector and I found a black box just laying there next to the furnace and on top of the duct work. At first I had no idea what this box was. I pulled it out and it had a cord attached to it going to a 110 plug. Hmmm….. Looks like the powered sub-woofer. Wow! what a way to install it. They just threw it in to allow it to bounce around and damage all the duct work from the furnace. Here are a few pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	867

Name:	photo 2-2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	868

Name:	photo 3-2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	869

Two of the dots were smashed and completely torn. I ended up replacing them both using adjustable elbows and new vent pipe.

I also found that the central vac unit was not secured at all. They did not clean anything before closing it up.

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	870

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	871

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	872

Needless to say I am relocating the subwoofer, probably going to mount it above the central vac box with a piece of plywood under it.

We spend a lot of money on these units to have to replace components before we even use the unit. I am really wondering what else I would find if I started pulling walls down!

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

Oklahoma
You will be amazed at what the challenged installers do to these high priced experiments. I give them credit though, with the crap work they do they still sleep at night, I couldn't. I'd go pick $hip with the chickens before I could let myself do what they let pass as craftmanship.
Keep looking, you will wonder................

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Idaho
I hear you Moto. I got away from Keystone products to buy one of these because I thought the "quality" would be better. LOL!
Bulldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #4

Virginia
Went to re-install the subwoofer and looked at the bottom and found this.

Name:	photo 3-3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	874

Name:	photo 2-3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	875

Name:	photo 1-3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	876

The furnace had only been run to test it. I would hate to see what might of happened if we actually used the unit to attempt to heat the Coach!

The whole base was melted and it does not work. I am assuming it over heated is why it will not turn on. Noticed they also have water lines and electrical wires run right up against the pipes as well.

I would Highly recommend if you get a new unit that you at least open up the panels in the storage area to at least see what you have!

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Colorado
Having taken down the pass through wall yesterday myself to re-tape the furnace ducts, I know what you mean. At least my sub is somewhat secured with a single angle bracket and one screw. That will be fixed the next time I take the walls down as I plan to clean up the cables some. The amount of trash and sawdust was disappointing. Also the way they mount in the converter/charger you can't get to the button on the front panel to initiate a bulk charge, not to mention the ~15 feet of cable between it and the battery bank.

I do believe I'll be cleaning up and relocating most of what's behind that wall. I'm contemplating on adding a powered 50 amp cord reel behind that wall and removing the exterior plug for an access door, and installing a surge protector while I'm at it, I'll most likely add that to the project list when I install the solar kit I have on order.

I did finish up all the ac and furnace duct re-tapeing this weekend as well as installing the 5X5" vinyl fence post's for the stinky slinkies.

Just like the house every time I start on a project I find 10 more to do. It never ends
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #6

Mississippi
Wow that is scary looking, been too busy at work to even use camper, but the next free weekend will definitely look behind those panels.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 AM   #7

Tennessee
Thanks for sharing. I have to replace a water pump in the next day or so that only lasted a week before failing. Will be interesting as to what I find behind the wall... I hope Dutchman is paying attention to these post's before someone gets hurt due to their poor workmanship. Do you hear us Dutchman. ?..
Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Oklahoma
I hope Dutchman is paying attention to these post's before someone gets hurt due to their poor workmanship. Do you hear us Dutchman. ?..

Slim, those of us that have been here awhile have been shouting for the manufacture to hear us, guess what, apparently they aren't listening or looking.
There was a member that was supposed to be connected with the problem solvers but I think the problems were overwhelming or just ignored.
We don't have the fancy showroom floor videos that show you how to repair your slides or change your pump but we do have people that are willing to lend a hand when needed.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I hope Dutchman is paying attention to these post's before someone gets hurt due to their poor workmanship. Do you hear us Dutchman. ?..

Slim, those of us that have been here awhile have been shouting for the manufacture to hear us, guess what, apparently they aren't listening or looking.
There was a member that was supposed to be connected with the problem solvers but I think the problems were overwhelming or just ignored.
We don't have the fancy showroom floor videos that show you how to repair your slides or change your pump but we do have people that are willing to lend a hand when needed.
Oh ya, Dutchmen is lurking amongst us. I had some very negative things to say about Dutchmen's response or lack of response to warranty issues on this forum.

I got a response (through email) immediately the next day trying to say that the he had contacted me. I said, 'sure you contacted me you never followed through'.

I'm sure his bosses (from Keystone) were on him about his lack of customer service skills. Let alone his lack of skills.

If Dutchmen builders don't care to clean up the sawdust after themselves, they certainly don't give a darn about what they haven't built correctly behind the walls and ceilings........just sayin'.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

California
This is a scary discussion on the quality (or lack thereof) of the Dutchmen line. I ordered a 2014 Voltage 3605 a month ago and will arrive at my dealer April 15.
I am beginning to wonder if I should go a different route.
All the appealing "eye candy" in the common public area doesn't mean crap if the hidden areas are poor workmanship and quality.

Just a thought...anybody from Dutchmen listening? You are about to lose a sale....

'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote