Disc brakes & Mor-Ride mods in Denver area - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Colorado
Disc brakes & Mor-Ride mods in Denver area

We want to upgrade our brakes to disc's and install Mor-Ride shackles and bolts. While I do all the work on our 2013 Voltage 3950 I just don't have the time for this install.
We put over 35K miles on this rig with little problems. I keep the brakes adjusted and they work fairly well. But I just don't trust the longevity of either aspect of these trailers, the brakes and the suspension.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy dealer or frame and brake shop within 200 miles of Denver that could do a turn key install of these components.
Thanks in advance

We have done so many mods that I would like to post on here. But the pic/link process is such a pain, I just don't have the time

Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #2

Colorado
I have a 2012 Voltage 3200 that I investigated converting to disc brakes. Couldn't find anyone locally who had done the conversion and was interested in doing the work. There is someone from out of state who will come to you and do the job. He has gotten good reviews.
I ended up having the Dexter Never Adjust brakes installed and am very happy with them. In the past I had to adjust my brakes more than once a year. It was a lot less expensive than the disc brake conversion. I used Iron Bear Trailer in Commerce City. They will also do the suspension mods/up grade.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400E
Dirt1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
I put disc brakes on my 3200 last spring. It was one of the best upgrades I have done. Braking is much better. Before doing it myself I checked around and found a trailer service place that quoted me a little over $4000. Way too much for me so I bought the parts from etrailer online and did the work myself. The parts cost around $1300.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #4

Colorado
I was at Iron Bear Trailer today, and noticed they had some disc brake rotors on display. So I asked them if they did the electric trailer brake to electric over hydraulic disc brakes conversions. The tech I talked to said they did do that conversion, so you might want to check with them.
As I said before, I have used them for suspension work for 6 or 8 years (used to be Jim's Repair) and I have been very happy with the work they have done. Brad, the new owner will point out all the options without any pressure to spend a lot of money.
2002 Suzuki DRZ400E
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to do the work and then take it to a good trailer alignment shop. Just have to make time to do it.

Dirt1st, do you know if Iron Bear has an alignment rack?
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #6

Colorado
They don’t have an “alignment rack” as such, but when they do suspension work they lift the trailer off of the ground by the frame so that the undercarriage is not carrying any weight and is free of stress. They then measure the distance from the king pin to the axle centers and the suspension hangers to identify any misalignments then make the necessary adjustments.
I had a long discussion with Brad, the owner about their process and was comfortable with his explanation.
I checked with a couple of RV repair shops in the south end of town,, and they farm any suspension work out to Iron Bear.
2002 Suzuki DRZ400E
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #7

Colorado
4wlow,
Can you share a little more on which components or kit you purchased from "etrailer" to do the conversion.
Thanks,
Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
I called etrailer and they were very helpful. I ended up getting the Kodiak hub/rotor kit with e- coating. The Dexter 1600 psi brake actuator and the kodiak tandem axle brake line kit. There are different lengths for the brake line kit so length of trailer will decide which kit you need. I put my actuator in the front storage compartment next to the generator and fished the necessary wires to the hitch. Since the battery is in that compartment wiring to that was easy. The kit I got from etrailer had everything I needed except for wiring the electrical connections.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #9

Tennessee
If I had the money you Voltage guys have, i'd burn mine.