3950 bathroom grey valve 'dribbles' - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Ontario
3950 bathroom grey valve 'dribbles'

Couple things:

1) I can guess about where the valve is but does anyone know the exact location (before I cut)
2) the valve is opening and mostly closing but not completely closing. Over time, the tank slowly drains. Apparently some crud has gotten in there gumming things up. Suggestions as to how to clean the valve?

Yes, I read the thread on the jammed black valve - different deal.

Thanks, Joe

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #2

Florida
Good luck with this one. Most folks add an external valve since most of the time, you get a nasty surprise when you pop the cap to install the sewer hose. I added the external valve as a bandaid.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Don't know where it is at, however cleaning it is usually pretty straight forward once you get to it. You may need to partially disassemble it, clean the grooves where the valve slides and lube it with a bit of waterproof grease. Also check the cable to make sure the valve is fully closing before you button it back up. It may need lubing too. Use a dry spray lube down the cable housing and work it back and forth.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Forgot to tell you that a stiff bristle brush and possibly a angle pick of some sort is what to use to clean the stuff off the valve, pay special attention to the groove where it slides closed.

Aaron
Old 04-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #5

Ontario
Couple more things:

1) yeah, I installed an external valve yesterday so no more nasty surprises (though it was grey water gushing out not black) until I fix the internal valve.
2) when I asked about cleaning I was assuming that I wouldn't have access to the valve blade because the valve is glued in place. Am I wrong?

Cheers, Joe
Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
Couple more things:

1) yeah, I installed an external valve yesterday so no more nasty surprises (though it was grey water gushing out not black) until I fix the internal valve.
2) when I asked about cleaning I was assuming that I wouldn't have access to the valve blade because the valve is glued in place. Am I wrong?

Cheers, Joe
Maybe? If all else fails cut out a section of pipe and use a rubber "no hub" fitting. Mine was glued on one side and clamped on the other. Also the valves do come apart for replacement.

Aaron
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Couple more things:

Cheers, Joe
IF you can get up to the valve to clean it out it would be great but I am afraid the valve is way up there. I have a "scope" that has a 3' extension and I could not get far enough up there to see the valve so I added the extra one. The other thing you could do is add the clear extension to the pipe to be able to see if there are going to be surprises when you take the cap off. besides, having the clear extension there helps with flushing...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...&wl13=&veh=sem
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #8

Michigan
Had this same problem with my 2013 3950. The galley (kitchen) grey tank drain valve had the dribbles as well as draining very slowly. Since this was a grey tank issue and not black tank, I resolved it this way:

Drained the tank best possible, Parked the RV where I could make a mess, and opened the valve and cap. This is the small drain line at a be outlet Y. Used a Home Depot drain snake to chase up inside the tank until I found some gunk. Then used a small garden hose with a 90 degree shut off at the inlet and shoved it up there about the same distance. Exercised the the shut of a couple times to blast the problem. Out came a greasy wad of crud. Closed the drain valve. Hooked my garden hose to hot water tank drain in my house and started filling the grey tank through the kitchen sink. About half full a couple times then flushing it out. Through the clear drain connection I watched all kinds of food and crap go down the drain!

Now the dribbles have stopped and the galley tank drains as fast as all the rest. As much as you scrape off your dishes before washing and rinsing, grease still builds up in there.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13DenaliDually View Post
Had this same problem with my 2013 3950. The galley (kitchen) grey tank drain valve had the dribbles as well as draining very slowly. Since this was a grey tank issue and not black tank, I resolved it this way:

Drained the tank best possible, Parked the RV where I could make a mess, and opened the valve and cap. This is the small drain line at a be outlet Y. Used a Home Depot drain snake to chase up inside the tank until I found some gunk. Then used a small garden hose with a 90 degree shut off at the inlet and shoved it up there about the same distance. Exercised the the shut of a couple times to blast the problem. Out came a greasy wad of crud. Closed the drain valve. Hooked my garden hose to hot water tank drain in my house and started filling the grey tank through the kitchen sink. About half full a couple times then flushing it out. Through the clear drain connection I watched all kinds of food and crap go down the drain!

Now the dribbles have stopped and the galley tank drains as fast as all the rest. As much as you scrape off your dishes before washing and rinsing, grease still builds up in there.

Good luck.

I did also cut the bottom open to find out the valves were all glued in place and I was not going to start cutting apart and replacing unless that was the last resort.

[emoji16]

Old 04-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Couple things:

1) I can guess about where the valve is but does anyone know the exact location (before I cut)
2) the valve is opening and mostly closing but not completely closing. Over time, the tank slowly drains. Apparently some crud has gotten in there gumming things up. Suggestions as to how to clean the valve?

Yes, I read the thread on the jammed black valve - different deal.

Thanks, Joe
Joe,

If we ever get a dryer warmer day, I could get you exact measurements for the front two valves. I cut openings in mine last year to install electric dump valves...maybe this weekend if you can wait that long?
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Couple more things:

Cheers, Joe
My valves were not glued in place - held in place with four bolts and nuts using a flange on the pipe.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

Ontario
donzinger: yes please. The measurements would save a lot of effort.

Now that I have a valve on the dump output I can wait until I get home in a couple of weeks to fix the source of the problem.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
donzinger: yes please. The measurements would save a lot of effort.

Now that I have a valve on the dump output I can wait until I get home in a couple of weeks to fix the source of the problem.
Joe,

My valves are located as follows:

Both are 88" as measured from the front edge of the basment/generator compartment.

One is 36" from the right outer edge of the camper and the other is 66" from the right outer edge of the camper.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #14

Ontario
Many thanks, now I know where to dig
Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 AM   #15

Colorado
If Don can get a warm, dry day...cool!!

But to replace my valves...I cut a three sided 1 foot square hole in the belly. Left the front side connected. With that size hole you can get up inside and see where the valves are.

When you figure that out, go ahead and cut a section out by the valve. You can get the black "plastic cardboard" at Home Depot stores or Home Depot online if your local store doesn't stock them.

The valve fits into a slide that has four bolts holding it in place. So you can take the four bolts out, spread the flanges and take the valve out for cleaning. I use a Harbor Freight 18" clamp that can be turned into a spreader. Works great!!

Being careful you can remove the valve, clean it, use the opening while it is out to rinse the tank. Then reassemble.

But I tell you...this is the perfect time to replace the valve with a Valterra electric valve available on Amazon for about $235.

Just sayin'

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
If Don can get a warm, dry day...cool!!

But to replace my valves...I cut a three sided 1 foot square hole in the belly. Left the front side connected. With that size hole you can get up inside and see where the valves are.

When you figure that out, go ahead and cut a section out by the valve. You can get the black "plastic cardboard" at Home Depot stores or Home Depot online if your local store doesn't stock them.

The valve fits into a slide that has four bolts holding it in place. So you can take the four bolts out, spread the flanges and take the valve out for cleaning. I use a Harbor Freight 18" clamp that can be turned into a spreader. Works great!!

Being careful you can remove the valve, clean it, use the opening while it is out to rinse the tank. Then reassemble.

But I tell you...this is the perfect time to replace the valve with a Valterra electric valve available on Amazon for about $235.

Just sayin'

Pirate
Yeppers! Did the same on the holes, just smaller. Hoping to get to the other two valves this spring.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk