Wiring Diagram for Outlets | 2573 BH - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2024, 10:38 PM   #1

Colorado
Wiring Diagram for Outlets | 2573 BH

Hello!

I have two outlets which read "Neutral Wire" reversed/other problem on an electrical tester. An RV Tech (expensive!) and I checked every outlet we could find and even replaced a couple.

The Outdoors Outlet (near my water heater outside wall) had one wire which had left scorch marks on inside of the plastic plate. Evidently, the Romex cable was not secure in there, and we found a broken metal piece that should have secured it.

Before we removed and replaced the outdoors outlet, the two bedroom "under closet drawers" outlets were not working.

Curiously, once we repaired the outdoors outlet the Dining Room floor outlet and the Bedroom Ceiling outlet stopped working, showing a "Neutral Wire" problem on the tech's circuit tester.

My question: Does anyone know where to get wiring diagrams of a Dutchmen Aerolite 2573 BH? If we knew the wire's path, we might even replace just that wire. However, we don't know its source.

I suspect that one of the wires from the Outdoors Outlet has a weakened or broken portion and simply needs to be replaced. However, I don't yet have the expertise to trace that wire/circuit.

Six and a half hours to do what we did is extreme, and I hope to never pay anyone that long again. I am an engineer, but somewhat lost without a wiring diagram or "signal tracing" tool.

How does anyone figure this out?

Thanks in advance for any sage advice,

Jonathan

hendersonjt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:08 PM   #2

Florida
I would purchase a signal tracing tool! Finding an actual wiring diagram is a well kept secret.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:42 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Dutchmen officially published its policy. They do not supply wiring diagrams to customers. See your dealer for details.

Some circuit testers are smarter than others. Many are not actually capable of correctly diagnosing some failure modes even though they report them.

Reversed connections diagnosis is often cause by ground faults or loose connections. Stab-back outlet connections often corrode or become loose and cause these diagnosis.

It is probably not the wire between outlets that is the issue. It is probably one or more failing outlets.

I once found multiple failing stab-back outlets using a space heater and an infrared thermometer.

I plugged the space heater in one outlet and searched for other hot outlets. You may have to move the space heater to find the last outlet in the string.

I replaced the hot outlets with screw connection type. They no longer got hot.

My circuit tester still did not like the circuit, but I never found the cause. I am certain the ends I could find were all wired correctly.

Sometimes you can isolate the issue by disconnecting an outlet in a string of outlets. The fault may show on one side or the other. This also helps to identify routing of wires inside the wall.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:57 PM   #4

Colorado
Great idea -- thanks!
Old 03-19-2024, 08:58 PM   #5

Colorado
This matches all I understand so far. Thank you so much!
Old 03-24-2024, 02:24 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersonjt7 View Post
Hello!

I have two outlets which read "Neutral Wire" reversed/other problem on an electrical tester. An RV Tech (expensive!) and I checked every outlet we could find and even replaced a couple.

The Outdoors Outlet (near my water heater outside wall) had one wire which had left scorch marks on inside of the plastic plate. Evidently, the Romex cable was not secure in there, and we found a broken metal piece that should have secured it.

Before we removed and replaced the outdoors outlet, the two bedroom "under closet drawers" outlets were not working.

Curiously, once we repaired the outdoors outlet the Dining Room floor outlet and the Bedroom Ceiling outlet stopped working, showing a "Neutral Wire" problem on the tech's circuit tester.

My question: Does anyone know where to get wiring diagrams of a Dutchmen Aerolite 2573 BH? If we knew the wire's path, we might even replace just that wire. However, we don't know its source.

I suspect that one of the wires from the Outdoors Outlet has a weakened or broken portion and simply needs to be replaced. However, I don't yet have the expertise to trace that wire/circuit.

Six and a half hours to do what we did is extreme, and I hope to never pay anyone that long again. I am an engineer, but somewhat lost without a wiring diagram or "signal tracing" tool.

How does anyone figure this out?

Thanks in advance for any sage advice,

Jonathan
Try using this to determine the routing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ca mpaign=18336506149&campaignid=18336506149&utm_cont ent=140682450385&adsetid=140682450385&product=9418 1&store=721&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnv-vBhBdEiwABCYQA7MTL2_X8vsvzwjDSQYAc18Uidv0Utx8OLWp4 _IT3cx5ZeXRfl0G7hoCJeEQAvD_BwE

capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote

« Questions | Ducks ? »