Akuret tires no good? - Page 5 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #81

Texas
Mine still had good tread on them with no defects. I paid to have them disposed of. Not because I was concerned about selling an unsafe tire but because I just didn't want to deal with them.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #82

Michigan
The new Dutchmen I just bought has the Akuret tires on it. I don't know what to do about them. They look fine now. I have some fairly long trips coming up in May and June with it. I called my tire guy yesterday about them. He said they aren't the absolute worst but they certainly aren't the best either. He said they should at least be balanced but no guarantees how long they will last. Said all ST tires are made in China now but that certainly doesn't mean they are all terrible. He sells Carlisles and has had good luck with them. I know a lot of people may dog Carlisles and there are a lot of complaints about them but how many of them are on the road compared to anything else. There may be a lot of complaints but no one really knows what the percentage of failures actually is. I had the new Carlisle Radial Trails from him on my boat trailer when I had it and absolutely no problems. As a side note I also had Goodyear Marathons on our hybrid and those game me absolutely no problems. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe I am just lucky.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #83

Colorado
Our 2014 Kodiak came with Akuret tires. So far, from Colorado we've been down to Tuscon, AZ, over to San Diego, CA and up to Sun Valley, ID. That's a fair amount of miles and not counting our "weekend" trips. No problems so far. Could there be? Sure. Do I have insurance and an extended warranty? You bet!
Our last camper had a tire come apart while going down the highway at 70MPH. It was a single axle (Kodiak has dual axle). The trailer stayed surprisingly straight. It did some pretty good damage to the underside of the camper but I never felt like I could not control it.
I'd like to know what percentage of these tires are shredding vs units sold?
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #84

California
We are going to take possession of our Voltage 3895 next weekend. Still looking at tires. Does anyone have any info or opinion you can share about the Geostar LT 235/85R G574 steel highway tires. We would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
Bmxboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 AM   #85

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Gladiator's are also cheap, Chinese made tires. What did you gain over the cheap, Chinese made Power Kings? Just wondering.
So far twice the mileage, Power Kings toast in 4200 miles, Gladiators just under 10K and look like they will go another 5-6K.

The Gladiators have a much stiffer side wall than the Power Kings and a deeper tread depth to start with.

Beggars can't be choosers, when it comes to needing tires when your on the road. The shop that I stopped at had 2 tires to choose from, the Gladiator was the more robust of the 2.

Since I bought the Gladiators, I have met several truckers/commercial drivers using that are running them and are happy with them.

Next time I need tires Gladiators will be at the top of the "Chinese Tire" list, that does not mean that I won't be looking for a North American made tire. I believe in supporting NA jobs and it's sad when companies like Goodyear export jobs for the sake of the bottom line.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #86

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
After reading numerous posts, I'm more confused than ever about these tires. They rode all the way from Indiana where the Voltage 3950 was built to Riverside, CA, and didn't blow out. They look solid. There are no cracks, bulges, pimples, dimples, or anything else that looks like it shouldn't be there.

So I'm wondering, what should I do with them? Are they going to disintegrate on me or not? Blow out when I'm not expecting it? Should I replace them immediately because someone else has had issues with them?

I don't want to put anyone in danger.

Is it possible these tires will last me a few thousand miles? They already have a couple of thousand on them from the trip Indiana to California.

Anyway, if anyone knows about these Akuret tires, I'm listening.
Hey Tom, it's me, Voltage Guy... oh, that's me. Yea, those tires are crap. Three of them are separating now... just posted a new warning about this. So yes, all those who've said "they're no good" are right. Okay, enough said. They're all being replaced tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #87

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
The new Dutchmen I just bought has the Akuret tires on it. I don't know what to do about them. They look fine now. I have some fairly long trips coming up in May and June with it. I called my tire guy yesterday about them. He said they aren't the absolute worst but they certainly aren't the best either. He said they should at least be balanced but no guarantees how long they will last. Said all ST tires are made in China now but that certainly doesn't mean they are all terrible. He sells Carlisles and has had good luck with them. I know a lot of people may dog Carlisles and there are a lot of complaints about them but how many of them are on the road compared to anything else. There may be a lot of complaints but no one really knows what the percentage of failures actually is. I had the new Carlisle Radial Trails from him on my boat trailer when I had it and absolutely no problems. As a side note I also had Goodyear Marathons on our hybrid and those game me absolutely no problems. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe I am just lucky.
They look fine now... but they won't look fine later. Just wait for it. You'll see.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #88

Colorado
Quote:
They look fine now... but they won't look fine later. Just wait for it. You'll see.
I dumped the Akuret tires in favor of Goodyear G614's. When the guys at Discount Tire examined them they agreed that my decision to replace them was good. One installer made the comment that he had never handled an ST tire in that size that was that light. Personally, I feel much more secure rolling down the road now.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #89

Florida
The voltage 3950 I am picking up comes with E rated West lake tires, are they any good. I have been going round and round with dealer trying to get G rated on there and he insists they are not needed because the West lake is a good tire, "a true HD" tire. He even went as far as had a factory rep call me to swear that Voltage has never had a tire warrenty issue.

So, what about the experiance with West lakes?

P.s. I now have the personal cell number of the dutchmen rep for all of the southeast if anyone needs it....
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #90

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
The voltage 3950 I am picking up comes with E rated West lake tires, are they any good. I have been going round and round with dealer trying to get G rated on there and he insists they are not needed because the West lake is a good tire, "a true HD" tire. He even went as far as had a factory rep call me to swear that Voltage has never had a tire warrenty issue.

P.s. I now have the personal cell number of the dutchmen rep for all of the southeast if anyone needs it....
I believe he's correct in saying that.

If there is a tire problem the dealer or factory rep will tell you to contact the tire mfg. Dutchmen doesn't warranty tires. Ask the Dutchmen customers that have tried.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #91

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post

Ah, the dealer says they are true heavy duty tires so it must be true.

Like Dave says, Dutchman doesn't warranty tires or wheels.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #92

California
Quote:
After reading numerous posts, I'm more confused than ever about these tires. They rode all the way from Indiana where the Voltage 3950 was built to Riverside, CA, and didn't blow out. They look solid. There are no cracks, bulges, pimples, dimples, or anything else that looks like it shouldn't be there.

So I'm wondering, what should I do with them? Are they going to disintegrate on me or not? Blow out when I'm not expecting it? Should I replace them immediately because someone else has had issues with them?

I don't want to put anyone in danger.

Is it possible these tires will last me a few thousand miles? They already have a couple of thousand on them from the trip Indiana to California.

Anyway, if anyone knows about these Akuret tires, I'm listening.
I have a couple of thousand miles on my tires with no problems except for a flat tire caused by a nail. The tires set under a RUBICON Toyhauler 2013
does anyone have a problem with these tires?
My tires are: AKURET
HF188
ST225/75 R15
Load range D (Max tire pressure 65 PSI COLD)
Bigbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #93

Arizona
My Denali came with the Akuret HF188 tires. They looked to be in good shape. Many tire experts will say that they are good tires but the people who have experienced blowouts must not have maintained their tires, blah-blah-blah.

Based on the real world experiences by some of the members of this forum who swear they have properly maintained theirs but still had blowouts I have replaced all five of mine with Maxxis tires. I sleep better at night.

I'm going on a 5,000 mile trip soon. I'll let you know how they worked out.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #94

Texas
Our Rubicon 2900 came with Akuret HF188's. We ran em them with the toy hauler weighting in about 900b's under max weight and put 7655 miles in the 2 pairs. They still had lots of rubber but were showing slight wear on the very sides of the tires. No other problems.

I think the side wear was due to the many times as a nube I pulled in somewhere I should have known better and could not get out without cranking the truck/trailer so tight on pavement the tires were scrubbing on the sides.

As I mentioned in a previous post I replaced The Akuret's with 85R16 Carlisles mostly to get on a F rated tire. If someone gave me 2 new pairs of Akuret's for free I'd run em.
Closely watching max weight, inspecting them every time we hit the road and checking my pressures as we travel (TPMS system). As soon as they didn't pass my inspection I'd be looking for new tires. I think that's about all you can do.

IMHO: Its a given that some time, some where your bound to run into a bad tire due to manufacturing problems be it truck, trailer etc. I've ran into just that on a new 2012 truck that had tires with the same date stamp go bad right at 1700 miles. They were replaced.
I'm of the belief if I keep under max weight, mind my tire pressures like my life depends on it the number of tires that all of a sudden come apart and rip the side of my trailer apart are going to be the few, and far between.
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #95

Colorado
Tire Split

Hi all, I thought I'd post an update on my Akuret tires. June would have made 2 years that we;ve been running them on our 2014 Kodiak 240BHSL. Fully loaded we are at around 6K LBS. I'd guess we put 10K or slightly more on them.
Yesterday while driving home from Red Rocks, LV back to Colorado we stopped at a service station to use the dump and water. This service station also happened to be a tire shop. While doing my thing one of the shop guys came over and had a look at my tires.
Him: Wow, those tires are really showing wear on the outside edges, almost to the cord. Would you like me to price you out some new ones? We're having a sale.
ME: No, I'm planning to have them replaced soon but not at the moment (nice try sales dude!).
Him as he walks to the other side) Holy Crap, have you seen this?
As I walk over to the left side of the trailer he points to the back tire (2 axels) and there is about a 10" split right down the center of the casing!
I thanked him for noticing it and asked him to recommend a good place for dinner while he installed 4 new tires!
To be honest, I had really planned to replace the tires within the next month as we have another high mileage trip coming up. I'm just glad he caught that and we got them off before any damage happened.
I think what's of use here is the time/mileage and trailer weight for those of us who kept them on.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #96

Texas
Thumbs down

I too am having nothing but trouble with these junk tires on my Voltage 3950. I constantly check pressures every time I start off and refuel and these tires with very low mileage are becoming very weak in the cords as they are bowing outward in the center of the tires. We blew one yesterday and as you can guess of course damaged the fender area. Nothing makes you more mad than being on the side of the road with a 100K trailer changing a blown tire this early in it's life. Junk Junk Cheap Junk Tires!!!!
parsfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #97

Nevada
I changed my China Bombs for 17.5" Americian made Goodyears H rated went on a 500 mile trip they did great.
17.5" Radial Tires

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:12 AM   #98

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsfam1 View Post
I too am having nothing but trouble with these junk tires on my Voltage 3950. I constantly check pressures every time I start off and refuel and these tires with very low mileage are becoming very weak in the cords as they are bowing outward in the center of the tires. We blew one yesterday and as you can guess of course damaged the fender area. Nothing makes you more mad than being on the side of the road with a 100K trailer changing a blown tire this early in it's life. Junk Junk Cheap Junk Tires!!!!
Bummer....that's the main reason most of us changed over to 17.5 wheels and tires. It's quite a bit of money but an investment in peace of mind if you ask me.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #99

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
I changed my China Bombs for 17.5" Americian made Goodyears H rated went on a 500 mile trip they did great.
17.5" Radial Tires
Besides getting rid of china bombs, what advantage does going to 17.5" wheels give you? Better selection of tires? Run cooler? Higher load rating? Just trying to justify the cost to wife.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #100

Washington
I'm sure you'll get the experts with the figures to step in....but basically you are getting a narrower side wall (less flex) and higher load ratings. My Continentals are "J" rated.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote