Replacing Tires - Page 9 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #161

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Decker,

Are your axles out of alignment or bent???

I had a misaligned axle on a TT that just kept shredding tires....
it was an easy fix, less than $200 at a BigTex trailer shop.

Over the phone the shop had me check the alignment was bad by measuring back to the tires from the A frame jack. (on a FW drop a plumb bob from the king pin) Since Correct Track adjust in increments of 1/8 an inch, I would figure anywhere near there you should be in good shape. Past that if you can't find an RV Dealer to align the axle try a commercial trailer shop like BigTex. If I remember there was over an inch difference in the measurements on the TT I had that kept blowing tires.

A bent axle can probably be replaced for not much more than it will be to straighten out and you'll have a new axle to boot. I replaced a 3500# axle on a boat trailer for around $400, again at BigTex. (the 7000# axles are $325 on eBay)

With the high cost of trailer tires I consider any work on my axles to be a good investment.
According to the response I got from Dexter misaligned means it's bent. I find it very strange that both axles seem to be bent exactly the same amount, as you can't tell any difference in the wear pattern between axles. Seems more like a manufacturing defect to me.

I have looked at correct track and am considering going that route. It would be nice to have the adjustability if needed in the future.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #162

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Sweet. You'll love them. I had to get 6 - you lucked out!
How much did those rims and tires cost you if you don't mind me asking? Where from? I'm thinking about going that route too, even though I just put on new Carlises.

Another note, that Companion hitch is connected to the gooseneck? I had the same setup on my Chevy, it was awesome. I have a Companion for the stock Ford 5th wheel prep now, just as slick...same top part.

Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #163

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
How much did those rims and tires cost you if you don't mind me asking? Where from? I'm thinking about going that route too, even though I just put on new Carlises.

Another note, that Companion hitch is connected to the gooseneck? I had the same setup on my Chevy, it was awesome. I have a Companion for the stock Ford 5th wheel prep now, just as slick...same top part.
Sam - PM sent and yes this is the Companion - I too love this hitch!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #164

Michigan
I am finally replacing my Akuret tires on my Voltage 3950 toy hauler with 3 axles. I believe I have pushed my luck as far as I can, recently found 1 tire with side wall checking or a dry rot look. Trailer has approximately 7000 miles and under one year use, build date of late April 2013. The toy hauler was stored indoors heated for 7 months , so no harsh winter or sun exposure.
I am purchasing the Kenda load range f ,235/85/16inch. Load rated at 3950lbs at 100 psi,12 ply . Paying 1000$ for 6 tires mounted balance and taxes. After many hours research and second guessing witch tire wheel options, I choose the Kenda!
Next trip planned this weekend 500 mile round trip mostly highway. I will post my feedback soon.
1BadDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #165

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadDiesel View Post
I am finally replacing my Akuret tires on my Voltage 3950 toy hauler with 3 axles. I believe I have pushed my luck as far as I can, recently found 1 tire with side wall checking or a dry rot look. Trailer has approximately 7000 miles and under one year use, build date of late April 2013. The toy hauler was stored indoors heated for 7 months , so no harsh winter or sun exposure.
I am purchasing the Kenda load range f ,235/85/16inch. Load rated at 3950lbs at 100 psi,12 ply . Paying 1000$ for 6 tires mounted balance and taxes. After many hours research and second guessing witch tire wheel options, I choose the Kenda!
Next trip planned this weekend 500 mile round trip mostly highway. I will post my feedback soon.
Hope they work out for you. We also have a long trip next weekend - I see the pole barn prep was under way!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #166

Colorado
So I was driving from Houston to Dallas today and on an exit ramp a new F550 Flatbed had blown a front right tire. The entire quarter panel was shredded as well as the front of the door from the tire letting go. The crew was just standing there looking incredulous. I believe I made the right decision to replace the tires. Picking her up today with the satellite and tires and 3rd AC on it. Direct TV getting installed tomorrow.
MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #167

California
$5,000 worth of damage

Yea this is what can happen when a tire lets go.
Attachment 1225
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #168
Djs

Utah
I replaced my year old AKURET tires with new Maxxis 10 ply tires today. There is a big quality difference in the sidewall when you compare one of each that are unmounted. It's not worth the worry of having blowouts. I kept the AKURETs so I can have a spare or two (hopefully that I'll never need to use) and sell the others to someone who doesn't worry as much as I do. I just know I'm going to be a lot less stressed on the road with better quality tires on my 40 ft Infinity.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 AM   #169

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
I replaced my year old AKURET tires with new Maxxis 10 ply tires today. There is a big quality difference in the sidewall when you compare one of each that are unmounted. It's not worth the worry of having blowouts. I kept the AKURETs so I can have a spare or two (hopefully that I'll never need to use) and sell the others to someone who doesn't worry as much as I do. I just know I'm going to be a lot less stressed on the road with better quality tires on my 40 ft Infinity.
I did the same two weeks ago. It's really interesting to see the difference between the two brands. When I had all six Maxxis tires stacked, they were very sturdy and moved very little if pushed on the top tires. After swapping I stacked the Akurets and it was like a bowl of Jell-O. They bounced, swayed, and kept going for several seconds after I pulled my hand off of them. The Maxxis are definitely a better quality tire.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #170
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
After a blowout I changed to Goodyear 614's. I never tried to go back to the manfacturer with the issue. I figured it would just make me madder than I already was. 614's are performing great.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #171

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonervn View Post
After a blowout I changed to Goodyear 614's. I never tried to go back to the manfacturer with the issue. I figured it would just make me madder than I already was. 614's are performing great.
Hope you have better luck with them then I did.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #172
Djs

Utah
Thanks. If i do have a sidewall blowout, I'll have to pay the price for the 614s or Michelin ribs. At least I have a warranty with the Maxxis. I carry two spares with me so I don't have to go without if I have a tire failure. This is sure getting to be an expensive little hobby!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #173
Djs

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I did the same two weeks ago. It's really interesting to see the difference between the two brands. When I had all six Maxxis tires stacked, they were very sturdy and moved very little if pushed on the top tires. After swapping I stacked the Akurets and it was like a bowl of Jell-O. They bounced, swayed, and kept going for several seconds after I pulled my hand off of them. The Maxxis are definitely a better quality tire.
Keep us informed on how the Maxxis perform for you and I'll do the same. I just hate the thought of having to pay $500 per tire for the 614 s or other overpriced tires.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #174

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
Thanks. If i do have a sidewall blowout, I'll have to pay the price for the 614s or Michelin ribs. At least I have a warranty with the Maxxis. I carry two spares with me so I don't have to go without if I have a tire failure. This is sure getting to be an expensive little hobby!
There are several tires available that have a much stiffer sidewall than the tires that Dutchmen is using.

The tire manager at Costco showed me two tires side by each, first tire you could deflect the sidewall very easily. The second tire almost no deflection.

That's the test I used when I selected the tires to replace the onion skin thin Power Kings that can on my rig. So far I have doubled my mileage on the Gladiators.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #175

Oklahoma
Has anyone tried to talk to someone like the federal trade commission, DOT or someone about the China Bombs.
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #176

Oklahoma
Why should anyone have to buy new tires for there rig when the tires are new. It seems to me that they pose a highway safety risk according to what I have been reading.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #177

Oklahoma
This is America, and any company that wants to do business here needs to follow the rules and regulations. They need to build a quility product. Cheap means cheaply made.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #178

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdrod1 View Post
Has anyone tried to talk to someone like the federal trade commission, DOT or someone about the China Bombs.
Go to the NHTSA and search tire recalls. I have not been able to find any recalls or complaints on the tires that are the topic of many of the tire threads on this forum.

The only complaints I have found on trailer tires where for Goodyear Marathon.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #179

Oklahoma
Are the tires that I read about that bad? If so why isn't there complants to the NHTSA..
Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #180

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdrod1 View Post
Are the tires that I read about that bad? If so why isn't there complants to the NHTSA..
Who knows why we don't open complaints with the NHTSA, but do you think that the reports you see on this and other RV forums are all fairy tales.

Personally I have no faith with any products made in China. After the melamine in pet food, killing our dogs, contaminated food products, defective child car seats and the latest being contaminated pet treats killing dogs and cats.

Buying anything made in China is a crap shoot, if your lucky you get a product that preforms as intended, if not who knows what the consequences could be.