How can I prevent my 5th wheel from acting like a bounce house? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #1

Florida
How can I prevent my 5th wheel from acting like a bounce house?

On a recent trip from and to Boone, the roads were awful in the truck lane (right lane).

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to soften the “road” for my 5th wheel? I’ve got a 38’ grand design Solitude-S class with the MORryde independent suspension with wet bolts and Cooper 17” re-grooveable tires filled to 125 pounds (recommended pressure). Airbags on the truck (GMC 3500), Anderson Ultimate Hitch, changed the pinbox to a MORryde Drove 65~ish. By the end of the trip, stuff was everywhere! I’ve used the non-slip rubber type stuff from Walmart under just about everything but I’m worried that a longer trip will eventually damage something.

Your thoughts and what’s your experience?

1. Airbags?
2. Shocks?
3. Marshmallows?
4. 101 uses for dead cats?

Frank

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:29 PM   #2
Djs

Utah
I had a similar issue with my 2013 40’ Infinity. My 5th Wheel was rated for 80 lb tires. I put on some that were 110 lb. This caused an extremely rough ride. It also did damage to the wood trim inside after a trip. I also found that my trailer shocks were shot. I replaced the tires with Goodyear Endurance rated at 80 lbs and replaced the shocks with Monroe’s and that solved the issue. It rides much smoother. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:48 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
I had a similar issue with my 2013 40’ Infinity. My 5th Wheel was rated for 80 lb tires. I put on some that were 110 lb. This caused an extremely rough ride. It also did damage to the wood trim inside after a trip. I also found that my trailer shocks were shot. I replaced the tires with Goodyear Endurance rated at 80 lbs and replaced the shocks with Monroe’s and that solved the issue. It rides much smoother. Hope that gives you some ideas.
Thanks for the info! I’m thinking shocks may help but since the RV didn’t come with them, it may be a bit of a project to install them on the frame of the RV.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:03 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
You don't have to run your tires at the maximum rated pressure, it depends on the weight they're carrying. I replaced the OEM Trailer King tires on our toy hauler (E rated, max 80psi, and poor quality) with Sailun S637's (G rated, max 110psi, very high quality tire). I initially ran them at 110, but as you both noted, the ride was brutal. I contacted the Sailun distributor and they provided a loading chart that indicated with the actual weight of my trailer, I could run them at lower pressures. I usually run them at 90-95psi so I still get the benefits of the Sailuns being a much better quality tire with higher load carrying capacity.

The max pressure noted on the side of the tire is the maximum pressure the tire can handle for the heaviest load it can carry. The tire pressure indicated on the placard on the side of your trailer is the manufacturers recommended minimum tire pressure for THAT trailer. Even if you replace the OEM tires with a higher load carrying capacity tire (e.g. switching from E rated to G rated), you can still run the trailer manufacturers recommended pressure (or a little higher), you don't have to max out the tires, although many on these groups will insist that you do.
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:09 AM   #5

Arizona
I have Airbags and they do level the ride, but if I forget to inflate the bag from the bare minimum 5 LBS to my preferred 65 LBS when I go for a ride, I don't notice it.

Only thing I've found is to slow down until the bouncing goes away.

For me, the bouncing is not as bad as yours, and only on concrete roads above 65 MPH.
chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #6

Florida
The roads I was on were terrible and 65 is my chosen speed (I fall in behind the rest of them doing 65). The right lane on 26 and 77 were terrible and the only way to get a smooth road was to drive the left lane but that means 80~ish.

Airbags might work, they certainly would be easier to install on the CRE suspension. I have not checked to see if my RV already has the provisions for shocks. Apparently, some do. I bought a couple of 3k jack stands so.i can get things propped up safely and not rely on concrete blocks and wood to hold the axle up when the tires are off. I also need to check the brakes and repack the bearings now that I have seen how they do it at the factory!