Door locks on it own. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2023, 11:51 PM   #1

Texas
Exclamation Door locks on it own.

We have a new to us 2019 Dutchman Aspen Trail 2850rls travel trailer. Aside from the right rear taillight not working properly, this unit just started taking matters into its own hands, so to speak. Hubby is away at work and the trailer is parked in an RV park a couple of miles down the road from where our house is being built. I’m here with our 3 big dogs that I take to the doggie area twice a day. I leave the rear door unlocked because I can see the trailer and both doors from that area. Yesterday I ran up to the house, came back, left my purse And my phone) inside and out the door we went. The door was unlocked and the keys hanging on a hook right inside the door.

When we came back, the door was locked just like it would be had I actually used the key. I was locked out after leaving the door unlocked. No way to call anyone either, since my phone was inside. Thankfully one of the other owners found a window that was not locked (maybe from when my grandson was here with me), got a ladder, carefully removed the screen and crawled in through the window and let me and the dogs inside.

Today, that happened again twice so far. Both times the door was unlocked (I had just stepped outside) and locked itself. Luckily, I learned my lesson and had the key in my pocket. I also bought one of those magnetic hide-a-key boxes and will stick it under the trailer just in case.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for fixing it, or the best place to order 2 new door locks? Is it an easy do it myself job to replace them? Suggestions are welcome.

Scharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:00 AM   #2

California
You probably exited the trailer with the door locked. Not sure about your set up but on mine there is the deadbolt and the handle lock. They work independently of each other. The handle can be locked and you can still open the door from the inside but the deadbolt must be unlocked to open.

When you close the door try the handle from outside and if it is in fact unlocked it will stay that way. If it is locked then unlock it with the key and it should stay unlocked.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:38 PM   #3

Texas
Ours only has the deadbolt on the inside and I had just used the key to unlock the door when I got back. Now I just make sure to have the key with me whenever I step outside. Good thing I learned that lesson because it happens often.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:02 AM   #4

Arizona
Unless its one of the keypad locks I am not seeing how a deadbolt is turning itself. There has to be more info.
Aguablanco
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:43 AM   #5

Texas
Not the deadbolt

It isn’t the deadbolt, it is the main handle. I have no idea. I unlock and open the door then go inside. Took my dogs out and came back, only to find the handle locked and me unable to get back inside. The time in, out and then back was less than 15 minutes. It has done it more than once, but after the 1st time I started to make sure I take the key with me, even if I am just getting something out of the truck, parked a few feet away.

Problem solved. Take the key with me every single time I step out so I can get back in if it locks.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:34 PM   #6

Florida
change the lock and the handle to one that you can open with a code. RV Lock has one. They run them on sale from time to time. I have one, it's OK.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:36 PM   #7

Arizona
I still don't see how a lever, like the handle lock, is turning itself. Not being judgemental but I would suggest that you are inadvertently locking the door on your way out. I know, I have done it once myself.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:14 PM   #8

California
I tend to agree. Or perhaps when you leave it the door is not actually unlocked. These latches are designed so you cannot lock your self inside for safety reasons. Even if the handle is locked you can still open from the interior. On both my doors you can only lock the deadbolt from the inside. The latch itself can only be locked from the outside.

It is possible when you leave the trailer the latch was locked from the outside which is how it will stay, unless you unlock it from the outside.

I would suggest trying to open the door right after you exit and make sure it is unlocked. If locked you will need to unlock with the key. Once you confirm it is unlocked I bet it stays that way until you return.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Yes it is possible to exit the door from the inside if the outside lock is in the lock position. When you close the door, the door will remain locked from the outside.
You should also be able to tell if the door is locked from the outside, if the key slot is horizontal or vertical .
Or when the door is open, try pulling on the outside latch.
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 03:09 PM   #10

California
Even better advice above. I forgot about the key slot position.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:17 AM   #11

Arizona
Where did you go Scharlene? Inquiring minds want some closure on this issue please.
Aguablanco
Old 08-02-2023, 11:47 PM   #12

Texas
Sorry about that. We are building a house and now that the builder turned over the keys, I have become the contractor for the rest of the work.

I really have no idea why it locked like that (3 times in 2 days), I do pay attention to the a lot position (figured that out a little while back). It had to be newbie operator error, but I now always have the key on me whenever I step outside.

I appreciate all of the helpful responses. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:01 AM   #13

Arizona
Thanks for coming back. Hope you enjoy the new home.
Aguablanco
Old 08-03-2023, 10:33 AM   #14

Texas
Thank you. Hopefully the power company will get to us by the end of the month. Everything else will be done before then.