Coleman Lantern 17B in winter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

Florida
Coleman Lantern 17B in winter

Has anyone tried cold weather camping in the Coleman Lantern LT 17? I have one and I'm wondering how it would perform in sub-freezing temps, given perhaps a few upgrades.

I'm thinking of holding tank heaters, maybe a heated water supply hose?

I have the electric heater (although the glass fell off when I hit a bump and I have to figure out the fix for that), as well as a propane heater.

I'd like to head up north during the winter, but I'm nervous that spending money trying to make this a 4 season trailer may be a waste.

Has anyone here tried to do that with this particular trailer? What upgrades would you say are necessary? Which are just nice to have?

aequitas1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #2

Florida
Aequitas! The same applies to all RV's that are not YEAR ROUND EQUIPPED. DO NOT RELY on your heater to heat your RV completely. It WILL freeze the water lines.

Here is my OTHER post...

Living in an RV that is not equipped to handle winters in a challenge. You will need to protect pipes (obvious) and underneath the RV. I suggest putting skirting around the RV then adding some sort of heating under there since it will reach below freezing without it. If you heat down there, it may save the black and gray tanks from freezing (keep in mind, you will need to keep the valves closed since the water from the gray tank will freeze in the hose-dump them occasionally.). Also, your low point drains are under there and need to be kept warm in addition to the dump pipes and stuff.. plus your floor will be toasty and it will help with heating the RV. Keep in mind that you will use LOTS of GAS.

Water hoses: I procured the heated hoses that are sold online. These things worked great for me and kept water running. You will also need to go to Lowes or HD for pipe heater strips. These strips should be wrapped around the water supply then get some of that water heater insulation and wrap that around the water supply faucet in order to keep the heat in.

Place an electric heater in the room closest to the input valves for water and run it to heat that area up _ NOT GAS, ELECTRIC! My RV's water inputs and pump were located in the bathroom so I kept a heater in there and the doors closed so everything would stay flowing. Keep in mind that if you have a spray attachment outside, that needs to be protected also.

Lots of folks on this forum have lived in the freezing cold at least one time or another. It's a challenge but worth it.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:46 PM   #3

Arizona
Not much left to add.
A friend went to Montana to work at a power plant. During the winter, he went through propane faster than he ever imagined. He was heating a large, expensive class A. His slides leaked cold air.... So he packed blankets he bought at Walmart around the slides. His underbelly was heated electrically and with gas furnace. His only issues were trying to stay warm. And keeping up with his propane tank.

So with all that in mind, maybe buy an electric blanket or two for you. Sounds like you have plenty of info on your rv..... So think about you.
You will need more frequent trips to store as well. Food, propane tanks(maybe just swap out once a week. More expensive but more convenient. Just check the date code on each tank you get back. Snow shovels, skirts (already mentioned),

I love winters... I'm a New Hampshire guy...
But have lived most of my life in Arizona. So being cold is no longer fun for me....
Wishing you the best. I have fond memories of the quiet in the woods during a snowfall.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:35 PM   #4

Florida
I'm going to Boone in November and again in March... Fun is fly fishing in 30 degree weather..
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote