Aspen trail 2860RLS 2018 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

Washington
Aspen trail 2860RLS 2018

A friend of mine bought this trailer brand new and used it to sleep in a few times. None of the appliances have been used and is offering to sell it to me since he bought a behemoth 42’ trailer.

I am wanting to use this trailer for all seasons. Is this a good trailer/model for spending time up in the mountains in the Pacific Northwest where it gets down to 25 degrees?

Hoping to get any and all feedback on this trailer as this will be my first trailer. Thanks.

ahheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #2

Wyoming
No RV is great for… in your words… “spending time up in the mountains in the Pacific Northwest where it gets down to 25 degrees”.

It may be tolerable, but certainly isn’t something to be desired.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Washington
I spend the weekends up in the mountains snowboarding. Trying to find a trailer that works for all seasons. I know I’m not going to laying around in my boxers.

Do you know if this brand/model is insulated on the bottom?
Old 07-24-2021, 10:56 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheath View Post
I spend the weekends up in the mountains snowboarding. Trying to find a trailer that works for all seasons. I know I’m not going to laying around in my boxers.

Do you know if this brand/model is insulated on the bottom?
Ok, others may chime in with different opinions… but just because you didn’t like my answer doesn’t make it so.

No, I don’t know if that model is insulated on the bottom. But even if the specs say it is… the terms “all season” RV, and “winter package” are nothing but marketing hype. It would consist of a VERY thin… probably not more than a ¼” of material, that would do very little to retain heat inside the rig. But that does very little to protect the pipes & plumbing from freezing & bursting… or the poorly ducted central heating system.

When you get up into the $300,000+ category of RVs, then you may actually find a few that are, indeed, “all season” worthy. But in this cheap, inexpensive range… they just aren’t built to those standards.

Now… that said… can you modify it to keep it somewhat comfortable in winter? Sure, depending how much time, effort, and money you’re willing to spend on it.

You can add insulation to the plumbing in the basement & underbelly. You can add skirting all around the RV to keep cold wind from blowing underneath. You can examine, verify, and/or ensure the heat ducts have no sharp bends under the floor… make shorter runs from the furnace to the vents… add new vents, etc. If on shore power, you can buy & add portable electric ceramic heaters to keep you from burning so much propane, and aids in keeping certain areas of the interior warm.

Bottom line is just this: at this price point, these rigs are the Ford Pintos & Chevy Vegas of the RV world. They just aren’t built for those conditions.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #5

Washington
Thank you for your feedback.