Kodiak Cub Owners? - Page 5 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 01:09 AM   #81

Ontario
We picked up our Kodiak cub right before may 24 and have been really enjoying it. The only issue we have had so far is the table being very wobbly. Has any one added one of those clip type rails on the wall and then taken off the back leg. With 2 young kids. Stuff seems to spill so easy on it. Thinking to try this out but nervous about putting holes into the wall on a new trailer. Any other ideas??

Thanks

Cub175bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #82

Colorado
WDH on a Kodiak Cub

I'm taking delivery of a 2019 175BH on Friday. Has anyone felt the need for a weight distribution hitch? My TV is a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel, so weight is not an issue. I have a set up from a previous trailer that would fit this. Has anyone noticed any sway from these trailers in cross winds, or highway driving?

I'm debating if it's worth installing this or not, so I appreciate any thoughts or experiences others might have.

blackoaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:12 AM   #83

Florida
My thoughts, if you have it.......use it!
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #84

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
My thoughts, if you have it.......use it!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #85

Alabama
I do not have one and have not had any problems. That being said the 175bh is the largest thing I have ever towed and I could be ignorant. Tow vehicle is a 2017 f150.
Maddogdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #86

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoaktree View Post
I'm taking delivery of a 2019 175BH on Friday. Has anyone felt the need for a weight distribution hitch? My TV is a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel, so weight is not an issue. I have a set up from a previous trailer that would fit this. Has anyone noticed any sway from these trailers in cross winds, or highway driving?

I'm debating if it's worth installing this or not, so I appreciate any thoughts or experiences others might have.
We tow our 175BH with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch. I have towed lots of smaller cargo and landscape trailers in the past but this is the first time with a big box like the 175BH.

I was initially concerned because of the smaller size of the Jeep, surface area of the trailer catching the wind, and single axle. Happily our tow setup has been working great over thousands of miles (no sway at all).

Its possible that the Andersen hitch and/or Jeep's built-in trailer sway control is completely handling sway, regardless of the trailer, but in our situation we have had no troubles at all.
Corum999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 AM   #87

Alabama
My wife and are are new 185mb owners. Unfortunately the "honeymoon" only lasted the time to drive to our first campsite the day we picked it up. Upon arriving at the camp we discovered the entire shower frame had collapsed and damaged floor, wall, and cabinetry. Took it back and 2 days later and then, about 6 weeks later we picked up after repairs.

Round 2. Took it out the very next weekend during a rainy weekend and discovered a significant leak at the slide out. Leak was caught early, Or so I thought. Two days later, after it had been sitting in driveway all locked up and slide closed, I discovered another puddle on the floor and now the floor is swollen. Back to the service center it's going.

Anyone else experience this?
Also, are the bathroom drawers supposed to lock into place? My wife thinks that when they fixed the damaged ones, the service center failed to add this piece of hardware. Per our experience thus far, nothing would surprise us. Thanks!
KodiakCub31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #88

Washington
Cable tv plug - direct tv??

I’m staying at a park that has direct Tv - how do I connect to my tv? Is there a trick
Thanks
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #89

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK on the road View Post
I’m staying at a park that has direct Tv - how do I connect to my tv? Is there a trick
Thanks
Do they give you a receiver to use? If so, use the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. OR, is it just a coax connection like in a hospital or something? Can you elaborate a little?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #90

Washington
Thanks - we got it all figured out - just needed to push the button so it wasn’t green for the antenna!
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #91

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt355 View Post
We have the same model with the farmers sink and the big double door fridge across from the Entertainment center. Just picked it up Saturday. We are planning a maiden voyage camp this coming weekend.
I've never owned a RV before.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the larger OEM fridge you mention, install it where the pantry is located, and add a cabinet where the small fridge is located?

It seems the RV with the smaller mini-fridge is much easier to find and cheaper.

I just don't know if it's possible to buy parts from a dealer that would match.

Thanks
floridabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:05 AM   #92

Florida
Anything is possible if you are handy enough. If it is a slideout, weight could be an issue. Welcome to the Forum!
Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 AM   #93

Florida
Sorry to peek behind the "cub curtain" but make sure if you move to new location you can vent/exhaust your fridge.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:51 AM   #94

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Anything is possible if you are handy enough. If it is a slideout, weight could be an issue. Welcome to the Forum!
No slide on the 175BH for better or worse. I am concerned about keeping things looking stock for now. I think filling the hole where the old mini-fridge was removed will be the hard part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Make sure if you move to new location you can vent/exhaust your fridge.

I didn't think about that. Thanks. I guess I need to see both 175BH Cubs if I can find the upgraded one nearby. Tons of the other variant are around but none of the upgraded.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #95

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakCub31 View Post
Also, are the bathroom drawers supposed to lock into place? My wife thinks that when they fixed the damaged ones, the service center failed to add this piece of hardware. Per our experience thus far, nothing would surprise us. Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience, that would definitely be pretty frustrating!

Since we have the 175BH we don't have the cool shower or slide but we probably have the same drawers. I haven't pulled ours out but there is something that grabs and makes them stick closed at the very end of pushing them in.

Do your kitchen drawers stick closed?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #96

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabill View Post
No slide on the 175BH for better or worse. I am concerned about keeping things looking stock for now. I think filling the hole where the old mini-fridge was removed will be the hard part.

I didn't think about that. Thanks. I guess I need to see both 175BH Cubs if I can find the upgraded one nearby. Tons of the other variant are around but none of the upgraded.
Wow that is an ambitious project!

Here some pictures to illustrate how they vent the 2 fridges.

Outside (venting) of the original layout with small fridge under counter. There are 2 black plastic vent areas to the left of the door. Note that the window doesn't open since the vent is right under it:

Outside (venting) of the newer layout with larger fridge to the right of stove. This style uses a single larger black plastic vent under the word "Kodiak":

I would be worried about patching those 2 vent holes if I was making the swap. Water getting in is my biggest worry with our travel trailer.

The other thing I noticed when we looked at both setups is that I believe the larger fridge is wider than that pantry cabinet so it will adjust the counter and lower cabinets to the left (you will need new lower cabinets and a shorter counter). That might be a pain to deal with as the holes for the sink and stove will need to be adjusted too.

We decided on the smaller fridge and big counter space layout. Having room for the coffee pot, cooking prep space, etc. was definitely a better fit for my family over the bigger fridge. We have a nice yeti type cooler that holds anything that doesn't fit in the fridge (mostly all of our drinks).

good luck on your decision!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #97
Site Team

North Carolina
On that lower picture, where I assume it has the larger fridge? the top vent is on the roof. Which is a good thing it that it draws the heat better making for a more efficient fridge vs the two side vents.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #98

Florida
Ok, I completely underestimated the fridge change. Changing that venting is nothing I want to mess with. I really appreciate the detailed explanation with pictures. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #99

Colorado
Hi all, Glad to find this site and this post specifically. We have had our 175BH Cub for about 4 months and have taken it out several times. We've been happy with most things...the smoke alarms always fall when traveling (easy fix). The Furrion Stereo is junk...that's been the most disappointing thing. It didn't work on our last trip to The Canyonlands, Utah. I have some bluetooth speakers that I keep in the cubby just in case, as I love having music. And one of the cabinets above the table seems to open up, so I just tie some string around it. And my table has been wobbly too...but I haven't been concerned enough to fix it yet.

Great info on how to access hot water bypass and mods. Thanks!
About to start my first "Winterization" of an RV. Any tips? Is there a water pump bypass that can accept anti-freeze? Do you pump through the city connect? Do you blow out the lines w/ compressed air? Thanks in advance.
barrieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #100

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieb24 View Post
About to start my first "Winterization" of an RV. Any tips? Is there a water pump bypass that can accept anti-freeze? Do you pump through the city connect? Do you blow out the lines w/ compressed air? Thanks in advance.
We have the 175BH also. Here are some pictures of the water pump and hot water heater areas:

WATER PUMP - under the right side bench seat. You can see the extra hose end sticking up that is used to pump antifreeze through the water system.

HOT WATER HEATER - these lines are behind the heater, accessed by unscrewing the wall divider from inside the driver side pass though area. You can see the heater bypass valve at the bottom.

It would be nice to have that valve be in a more accessible spot!

This year I decided to use the compressor blow out method to winterize as we might take a trip during the winter and I didn't want to have to worry about cleaning out the antifreeze from the lines. I have a 6 gal compressor and made up a connector to tie into the city water connection. Kept the pressure around 30lbs and then filled the traps with RV antifreeze. It seemed to work great.

I watched a few youtube videos to see how others did it and to pick up some tips and tricks.