Akuret tires no good? - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #41

I called Akuret aka DELNAT who referred me to Lionshead distributors. After days of calling I called the claims boss who finally had the claims woman call me back. She sent me a package of hoops and hurdles to overcome and to submit it all back to them. I did a month or so later via email. All the docs and pictures. I have not heard back from them as yet. I dont know the problem except I can see they dont want to pay.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #42

New York
Thanks for the info...........

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #43

Florida
Akuret tires

Bought a 2012 Infinity in January 2013. Don't know how many miles the dealer put on it. Traveled 1500 miles, sat for six months, and while traveling blew all four original tires within a months time. I switched to Goodyear Marathon.
Camping World is taking care of the warranty problems.
Labraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #44

Saskatchewan
Welcome Labraker to the Forum. We look forward to your involvement in the wonderful world of RV'ing.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #45

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labraker View Post
Bought a 2012 Infinity in January 2013. Don't know how many miles the dealer put on it. Traveled 1500 miles, sat for six months, and while traveling blew all four original tires within a months time. I switched to Goodyear Marathon.
Camping World is taking care of the warranty problems.
Welcome to the Forum.

I too, have a 2012 Infinity. Which model do you have? It's unfortunate that all four tires blew. Did it do any damage to your wheel well area?

I too have Akuret tires. I've been on edge since hearing of a few tires "blowing up". So, I'd like to ask you a few questions. Do you know what the air pressure was, in each tire, at the time that they blew. Do you know whether the tires had any bubbles or imperfections on the sidewalls. Did you happen to see any tire ware on the tire tread prior to blowing up?

I pulled my unit from Indiana to Maine upon purchasing. That was a little better than 1,000 miles. Did some camping around our area in Maine last year (2012). Added another 1,000 miles. Did another 2,000 miles to Florida and 2,000 miles to go back to Maine (all in 2012). This year in 2013 I went another 1,000 miles camping locally and then headed for Florida at the end of November and added another 2,000 miles. I've now got about 8,000 miles on my Akurets. Due to the fear of these blowing up I have checked for tire ware and any bubbles while I'm checking my lights during hooking up. I also, make sure that the tire pressure is consistant in each tire.

You may not have to check the Marathons like you would have the Akurets.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #46

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
You may not have to check the Marathons like you would have the Akurets.
Always check them! No matter what brand!
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #47

California
It does not matter how much you check air pressure and check for bubbles these "China Bombs" are going to blow and do damage to your coach !!
I know first hand, because I had one split on a short trip (40 miles). Checked everything before trip (I have a tire pressure monitor system during trip) and when I got there tire was split on sidewall. Another tire had just started to split at that time. Thankfully I caught it before it blew, but another 100 miles and who knows. When I changed them out I could not believe the sidewall thickness of these Akuret tires. Like a kids ballon !!
I feel very concerned when I hear people think as long as they look at there Akuret tires and check pressure, everything will be OK. This is not the case!
These are dangerous tires to be on such heavy trailers. Dutchmen should recall these tires but they don't care.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #48

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
It does not matter how much you check air pressure and check for bubbles these "China Bombs" are going to blow and do damage to your coach !!
I know first hand, because I had one split on a short trip (40 miles). Checked everything before trip (I have a tire pressure monitor system during trip) and when I got there tire was split on sidewall. Another tire had just started to split at that time. Thankfully I caught it before it blew, but another 100 miles and who knows. When I changed them out I could not believe the sidewall thickness of these Akuret tires. Like a kids ballon !!
I feel very concerned when I hear people think as long as they look at there Akuret tires and check pressure, everything will be OK. This is not the case!
These are dangerous tires to be on such heavy trailers. Dutchmen should recall these tires but they don't care.
I just replaced my Akuret tires with Goodyear G614's. There were not showing any signs of damage but I did not trust them. In hind sight I almost feel I should have bought both new wheels and tires in size 17.5"

And you are right about the sidewall thickness on these tires. God forbid you accidentally contact a curb at sometime.

What tires did you end up buying?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #49

Oklahoma
I pull my 3800 with a 2012 Chevy 3500HD with the Duramax diesel engine. It drives me crazy that I can't safely pull my rig over 65mph when I have the truck to move on down the road. That's just plain stupid to have crappy tires but a rig that requires a good sized truck to pull it.
My fuel mileage doesn't come in until 70mph!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #50

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
Waytogood, you had recited your issue with Akuret tires on another post awhile ago. I get it, and I understand your displeasure for the "tire bombs". You said that one blew up and you observed another with a crack. You said you replaced all. You explained what happened and what one of the tires looked like before it could happen again. No one can ask for anymore of an explanation then that.

I had directly quoted "Labraker" and directed my questions toward what he felt possibly happened. He stated that all four blew up in a month. I figured I'd ask him or her what they thought other then just blowing up.

I never meant to ad salt to your tire issue. Nothing was directed toward you.

Please remember that I too, are not problem free with my unit. I've had many issues on my unit that you don't and probably vise versa. I've got issue posts all over forum. So far my tires are not one of them.

Happy Campin'

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #51

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Waytogood, you had recited your issue with Akuret tires on another post awhile ago. I get it, and I understand your displeasure for the "tire bombs". You said that one blew up and you observed another with a crack. You said you replaced all. You explained what happened and what one of the tires looked like before it could happen again. No one can ask for anymore of an explanation then that.

I had directly quoted "Labraker" and directed my questions toward what he felt possibly happened. He stated that all four blew up in a month. I figured I'd ask him or her what they thought other then just blowing up.

I never meant to ad salt to your tire issue. Nothing was directed toward you.

Please remember that I too, are not problem free with my unit. I've had many issues on my unit that you don't and probably vise versa. I've got issue posts all over forum. So far my tires are not one of them.

Happy Campin'
Thanks Infinityrver, I'm just trying to warn people how dangerous these tires really are.
I didn't take it as anything else.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #52

Florida
Hello, All tires were at 80psi, you here a loud pop when the sidewall blows. Luckily not traveling fast, so no damage to the camper.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #53

Florida
Merry Xmas to us. Camping World came through with a check for four tires.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #54

California
Still waiting for mine to blow are create some havoc. Nothing so far. They've only been on the road a couple of thousand miles, though. Time will tell.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #55

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
Still waiting for mine to blow are create some havoc. Nothing so far. They've only been on the road a couple of thousand miles, though. Time will tell.
Plus the 1500 miles from the manufacturer. I have to say that the sidewalls on the OEM tires are thin. I have 6 of them sitting in my backyard.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #56

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Plus the 1500 miles from the manufacturer. I have to say that the sidewalls on the OEM tires are thin. I have 6 of them sitting in my backyard.
Can you tell me how "thin" thin is? Any way to compare this to a different brand of tire? One day, I will need to replace all of mine, as they'll certainly wear down. So I'll be looking for a good replacement.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #57

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labraker View Post
Merry Xmas to us. Camping World came through with a check for four tires.
That's great news. It's good to know you got things taken care of. Makes me feel better hearing some good news out there.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #58

Arizona
Quote:
Can you tell me how "thin" thin is? Any way to compare this to a different brand of tire? One day, I will need to replace all of mine, as they'll certainly wear down. So I'll be looking for a good replacement.
I don't know how thin they really are. I know if I straddle one of the tires and put my 190 lb weight on it, it collapses pretty bad. I know, there is no air pressure holding it up but they SEEM pretty flimsy.

I had my Voltage at Camping World up by Flagstaff last summer for some emergency repair. They hooked it up to a fork lift and spun it 180 degrees in place. I about had a heart attack watching those tires. I thought for sure they would pop right off of the rims. Either that, or an spring would explode. I don't think that did the tire any favors where the sidewall meets the thread.

When I commented on it the guy said, "Oh, we do that all the time. It doesn't hurt them much". Yes, he said much.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #59

British Columbia
Quote:
I had a salesman demonstrate thin by gripping the bead with his fingers and pressing the sidewall with his thumbs.

A "thin tire" sidewall has a significant deflection.

When I tried this non-scientific test I was amazed at the difference in the amount that deflection from one tire to the other. Seems to have worked when I used the method to choose between the 2 tires available when I needed to replace my TT tires.

Thin tires 4200 miles, replacement tires 6000 miles and still going.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #60

New York
Jam, as we all know sometimes the non-scientific tests are more reliable than the engineered tests!!

Thanks for the hint!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote