Toilet clog? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

Colorado
Toilet clog?

Hi all, I'm new to this site. We picked up a 240BHSL a few months ago and are LOVING it. Priot to that we had a pop up camper and before that a VW Vanagon. You can see the direction we are heading!
Anyway, after our last trip I empties both black and grey tanks and put the camper away for a week. Last night we hooked up and headed out for a backcountry camp. We got set up here and my wife flushed the toilet and noticed a TON of toilet paper, ect (I won't elaborate ) just under the blade? I went back and pushed the button to light up the level of the black tank, still empty.
Sooo, I went outside and got a stick. Started pocking at the mass of mess and eventually it all went downand nothing more was visible. Instantly our black tank went to 1/3 full.
Now I'm new to these systems so is it common for it to back up there or do you think I have an issue? In the interest of full disclosure I also think my young son may have put a couple of baby wipes in there.
Anyway, at the very least we learned somthing and will keep an eye on it.
Thanks,
Randy

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

New York
Well one of the keys to clean tanks is WATER - WATER - WATER! And clean the tank with a black tank flusher - you can get a hand held wand or go for a build in unit!

Also use a clear connector on the pipe....this way you can see when things "look" clean!

Also empty your black tank first, then you grey - your grey will clean out the hose somewhat!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Wyoming
To add to that the sensors are not always accurate. Stuff can get hung up across the sensors and give a false reading. These things work by detecting electrical current between points. If stuff is stuck there and moist it will indicate that the tank is full at least to that point. Flush the tank well and see what it does.
Also, try putting water in the tank and driving around letting it slosh about in the tank. This may dislodge anything that may be stuck on the sensors.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

New York
Also put some ice cubes in with the water and take that drive - drop some Calgon water softner to that mixture also!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for all the tips everyone. We'll be emptying and flushing Thursday before we head home. I'll see how it goes.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #6

Michigan
I know this may sound gross, but several folks I know will avoid putting the paper work in the toilet, rather it goes into one of those round or square file cabinets with a liner and a lid.

One other thing, dont leave your dump valve open, if you do you will wind up having a mountain of doo-doo!!!
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

Colorado
Thanks, we've spent a fair amount of time in surfing towns and the TP in the trash can is pretty common. Not sure I'm ready to do it in our camper yet
I was reading about dump valve mishaps and couldn't help but laugh out loud. I'm sure I won't be laughing if I'm on the receiving end though!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

Michigan
With the proper can that closes, a smell good stickup or car freshener taped to the top it really aint bad. plus the sewer trout can have a smooth run. Just my opinion.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #9

Idaho
Plugged Toilet

We had this same issue with having three kids/pre-teens in a camper. My dealer explained to me that water is the key to the RV toilets working properly. Before using the facilities, fill the bowl with some water by just pressing the foot valve halfway. Then, never ever use toilet paper that is not made for RV's. Once I got all of them to start doing so and then running some more water down after flushing, we have not had anymore problems with the base plugging up and not going down into the tank. Also learned the hard way early on about leaving the black water valve open when hooked up to sewer,,,dont.
jtaylor1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #10

Wyoming
RV dealers will all tell you to only use RV toilet paper. This is bunk and usually it's because- you guessed it- they only sell RV toilet paper!
A good test to tell if you can use your regular brand of TP is to put four squares of it in a clear jar and half fill the jar with water. Shake the jar, you don't have to shake really hard, and look at what the TP does. If it breaks apart or mostly dissolves you can use it in your RV.
TP will not be a problem in your holding tank-ever!
The key is exactly what jtaylor1203 already stated. Use plenty of water and don't leave your dump valve open when connected to a sewer hook up. Wait until the tank is almost full and dump it all at once. Then, clean it just as you would if you were at a sani-dump.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
With the proper can that closes, a smell good stickup or car freshener taped to the top it really aint bad. plus the sewer trout can have a smooth run. Just my opinion.
Been doing this for years, except the paper with brown stains, get flushed....yellow stains go in the trash can with a lid and a fresh-up on the lid!

It is no worse than a babies diaper.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #12

Colorado
I'm beginning to get the picture. The majority of our problem, I think is the amount of water. 95% of out camping is dry (back country) and because of that I'm afraid to fill the black tank too quickly (usually we are out a minimum of 4 days). We go conservative on filling the bowl (about 1/4 or less). I think more water overall is the solution. We'll have to see how it goes and how quickly the tank fills. Thanks for all the help again,
Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #13

Wyoming
When dry camping with just my wife and I our black tank will easily last a week. It's our grey tank that fills fast.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I use TP that is rated for septic tanks and never had a problem.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
RV dealers will all tell you to only use RV toilet paper. This is bunk and usually it's because- you guessed it- they only sell RV toilet paper!
A good test to tell if you can use your regular brand of TP is to put four squares of it in a clear jar and half fill the jar with water. Shake the jar, you don't have to shake really hard, and look at what the TP does. If it breaks apart or mostly dissolves you can use it in your RV.
TP will not be a problem in your holding tank-ever!
The key is exactly what jtaylor1203 already stated. Use plenty of water and don't leave your dump valve open when connected to a sewer hook up. Wait until the tank is almost full and dump it all at once. Then, clean it just as you would if you were at a sani-dump.
Exactly. Been using 1 ply TP for years and never bad a problem.

If I can, I like dump after driving awhile, helps gets stuff broken down.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote