LiIon battery charging. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2024, 08:56 PM   #1

Oregon
LiIon battery charging.

Planning to install LiIon or LifePo battery in my Aspen Trail 2350BHS. Is there something I need to change in the charging system to properly charge these batteries. I know most batteries have a BMS internal to protect from overcharging and over discharge! I am very familiar with RC hobby LiPo, LiIon, etc.. batteries. They need a CC/CV charger to charge correctly! Do I add one inline from the inverter, using it to power a charger!
Curious as what to do! Any help is appreciated.

Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:16 PM   #2

Florida
leisuresolar@gmail.com and DSOL are the experts in this stuff along with Persistent. I recommend sending each a PM.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 04:20 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Different RV chargers or inverter chargers behave differently.

For better results:
Please post make and model of converter/charger or inverter/charger.
Please post model of Li battery.
Please post how many of the batteries will be used.
Capacity of the battery bank in amp hours will be needed.

The BMS will not correct insufficient charging. It will protect against dangerous conditions for a while. Some BMS are better than others. Some will fail sooner than others if the safeties are activated multiple times.

Many recent RV chargers have an optional lithium profile that can be activated.

Some legacy chargers will work with limitation to charge Li batteries.

Some legacy chargers can be custom programmed to adequately charge a lithium battery bank.

If you want to install a lithium capable charger, you probably must disable charging on your current charger or inverter charger.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:10 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
leisuresolar@gmail.com and DSOL are the experts in this stuff along with Persistent. I recommend sending each a PM.
Hardly an expert but I do know a little--I think as Persistent (who is an expert) says you need a converter/charger specifically designed for LiPo batteries as the charging profile, while close to Lead Acid, is not the same and requires different voltage current and I believe a slightly higher resting voltage. I know my WFCO converter supports AGM and flooded batteries but does not support LiPo and I would speculate that unless it is a much newer RV that it will not support LiPo either.

My gut is that you will need to toggle a switch on your converter, if you are lucky or if not lucky will need a different one.

Good luck--
Old 02-08-2024, 10:04 PM   #5

Wisconsin
WFCO Charging Lithium Batteries

Specific legacy models have possibilities.

WFCO has sold at least 3 generations of converter/chargers. Mine is one of the first designs. It is capable of properly charging Li batteries under certain conditions.

Mine is a 35 amp model. It can fully charge and balance up to 120 amp hours. It can handle more with minor compromises. A 200 amp hour Li battery bank discharged down to 75% can be fully charged and balanced.

Higher capacity battery banks of 240 amp hours can be fully charged and balanced by switching the WFCO "OFF" and back "ON" after 4 hours of charging.

This is all possible because the original WFCO provides 14.4 volts for up to 4 hours. That is the maximum a lead acid battery can tolerate efficiently.

A higher capacity WFCO can do the same with a larger lithium battery bank.

There are lots more details.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:09 AM   #6

Florida
Hello All, while on the subject, I am looking to upgrade to a solar power grid to my 2012 Four Winds and this has been a question I have, knowing I will need a new charger and other items to set the system up, "does the new charger/controler directly replace the old charger in the system"? I have lots of electrical knowledge but on aircraft and homes. I have not dug into they TT yet because its all working now. but I will be ready before this summer is in full swing. I will be going Lifepo4 bank
Look up "The Tech Prepper" on you tube on "Lifepo4 RV upgrade part III"
Sharpeink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:39 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Get started:

https://www.renogy.com/videos/Renogy...99ab003d8cf73a

Lots of basic info here:

https://www.renogy.com/solar-kits/?m...37bc9a3f7fb099