Bedroom Lights Issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2023, 03:11 AM   #1

Florida
Bedroom Lights Issues

I recently purchased a 2008 Dutchmen 25CGS. It’s a beautiful camper for its age and I really have no complaints. However, the two bedroom lights don’t work and the bulbs are in working order. I checked the fuse panel and the bedroom is listed as being the 5th fuse with a 15 amp fuse, but there is a 30 amp fuse in that spot and when I pull it the AC unit shuts off. Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

OkieSooner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #2

California
I would guess the fuse you are pulling also powers the thermostat which usually works on battery because even though the Air Conditioning requires shore power or a generator the heater and fans can work on batteries.

They probably don’t label those fuses as “thermostat” because they don’t have enough room to label everything.

I would also check your light switch(es)because unless your fuse panel is mislabeled (also a very good chance of that because of the lack or quality control on these RV’s) it seems like a likely culprit. Since both lights do not work it is unlikely to be two bulbs as a fuse would blow before a bulb, or even two would and unless they never worked it is very unlikely the wiring has gone bad as it is only 12 volts and low amperage.

Pull the light switch from the wall and inspect and hopefully you know how to use a multimeter to test for continuity. If not you can watch some videos. Also, you can try disconnecting the switch and bypassing as a test. If that works then replace the switch.

Also, it is possible something was changed and the lights only work on shore power so before checking wiring or switches I would see if they work on shore power or generator.

Lastly, I assume you checked all the other fuses and they all look good? Sometimes it is really hard to tell if a fuse is blown, but I think if you had a blown fuse there would be more than just bedroom lights not working.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I would guess the fuse you are pulling also powers the thermostat which usually works on battery because even though the Air Conditioning requires shore power or a generator the heater and fans can work on batteries.

They probably don’t label those fuses as “thermostat” because they don’t have enough room to label everything.

I would also check your light switch(es)because unless your fuse panel is mislabeled (also a very good chance of that because of the lack or quality control on these RV’s) it seems like a likely culprit. Since both lights do not work it is unlikely to be two bulbs as a fuse would blow before a bulb, or even two would and unless they never worked it is very unlikely the wiring has gone bad as it is only 12 volts and low amperage.

Pull the light switch from the wall and inspect and hopefully you know how to use a multimeter to test for continuity. If not you can watch some videos. Also, you can try disconnecting the switch and bypassing as a test. If that works then replace the switch.

Also, it is possible something was changed and the lights only work on shore power so before checking wiring or switches I would see if they work on shore power or generator.

Lastly, I assume you checked all the other fuses and they all look good? Sometimes it is really hard to tell if a fuse is blown, but I think if you had a blown fuse there would be more than just bedroom lights not working.

Good luck.
I have one wall switch that controls the overhead lights with each light have one switch that controls both bulbs. If the wall switch was bad wouldn’t that affect all of the overhead lights and not just the two in the bedroom. I also noticed that my front storage bay light, located under the bedroom, doesn’t come on. Could there by some kind of break in the circuit between these three individual lights?

Thanks!
OkieSooner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:46 PM   #4

California
They might’ve run multiple wires to the switch and one is loose or off. The fact the storage light doesn’t work is puzzling and shouldn’t be related.

Who knows?
Old 10-04-2023, 07:37 PM   #5

Florida
They may be wired to each other also. Check the connections at the ones that are working to see if they travel down to the next one. Also. Check to see if the bulbs are right. They may have replaced them with the LED and they just need to be turned around.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Pull the wall switch to expose the wires and then check for power with a volt meter. That will eliminate any other problems down stream from the switch. If there is no power to the switch, further check all fuses and possibility of lights connected on a ground fault circuit.

wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connections, fuse, lighting