DOMETIC micro/convection oven - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
DOMETIC micro/convection oven

If you need parts for the Dometic RV microwave/convection oven you can get some of the from searspartsdirect.com.
You won't find the part under Dometic but you will find them under Amana and Goldstar and Kenmore.

I needed the plastic grill that fits over the door and finally found a place that had it for 36 bucks but searspartsdirect has it at 29 bucks.

My Dometic is the DOTRC17BC but is also listed under LG parts as well as the previous mentioned manufacturers.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,302
Wyoming
Yep, I found that last year. I'm guessing you did the same thing I did when cleaning, and tried to remove it w/o knowing it was held by 2 screws instead of just snapping in/out. DOH!
__________________

__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
Yep, pretty fragile those upper mounting tabs.
The good thing is the oven may not even be a Dometic so we aren't stuck with their suggestion of locating an authorized dealer for parts.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hewitt
Posts: 270
New Jersey
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Our 2013 V 3105 came from the factory with one of those puny shelf mounted microwaves. We had our order written to install the microwave/convection oven that came in the 3200 model. The factory wound't do it, as it required some custom cabinet work. The work fell to Camping World. Long story short, the unit shipped with an over the range microwave only, no conviction. The ordering CW location was in FL, it was delivered to, and work done by local CW in NJ. They did pretty good custom cabinet work to get it installed. We didn't realize that it didn't have the convection oven piece until after we took delivery. I gave up going in circles after two years to get it corrected. The salesman was from CW Chicago, the ordering CW dealer in FL, and the delivery CW in NJ all pointed to the other guy. Lesson learned, I'm never ordering an RV at a show unless I take delivery from the dealer writing the order.

My wife is still on my case for the convection oven. It looks the the one that originally shipped is no longer available. Is anyone aware of a combo unit with over the range vent that would fit in place of the stock Dometic microwave or combo unit? I saw a post elsewhere about someone substituting a GE Profile, and using the Dometic mounting plate. I'm hoping someone here has replaced the stock unit with something that fit right in, and can share.

Thanks.
__________________
2013 V 3105
2016 F350 King Ranch CC 6.7 diesel dually
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,302
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Yep, pretty fragile those upper mounting tabs.
The good thing is the oven may not even be a Dometic so we aren't stuck with their suggestion of locating an authorized dealer for parts.
I've found that for a few items already.

Example: The Dometic Small Portable Ice Maker. The mother ship sells it for $199 (although it is 'one sale' right now for $149.

Small Portable Ice Maker - Dometic HZB-12SA - Ice Makers - Camping World




However, the very same item under the Igloo nameplate sells every day at Sam's Club for $99.

Igloo Compact Ice Maker - Assorted Colors - Sam's Club

__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
What gets me Tom is one of the RV appliance/parts suppliers touts the Dometic as being made for the RV environment. Supposedly made tougher than a domestic unit. Words from a tech writer is about all it is. Drilled down to the smallest IC in the RV Dometic is the same as in any electronic. NASA or the military may spec out a component but a diode is a diode, it's just sized to the process.
Your pictured ice maker is a classic example, it's all the same with a different badge on it.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Our 2013 V 3105 came from the factory with one of those puny shelf mounted microwaves. We had our order written to install the microwave/convection oven that came in the 3200 model. The factory wound't do it, as it required some custom cabinet work. The work fell to Camping World. Long story short, the unit shipped with an over the range microwave only, no conviction. The ordering CW location was in FL, it was delivered to, and work done by local CW in NJ. They did pretty good custom cabinet work to get it installed. We didn't realize that it didn't have the convection oven piece until after we took delivery. I gave up going in circles after two years to get it corrected. The salesman was from CW Chicago, the ordering CW dealer in FL, and the delivery CW in NJ all pointed to the other guy. Lesson learned, I'm never ordering an RV at a show unless I take delivery from the dealer writing the order.

My wife is still on my case for the convection oven. It looks the the one that originally shipped is no longer available. Is anyone aware of a combo unit with over the range vent that would fit in place of the stock Dometic microwave or combo unit? I saw a post elsewhere about someone substituting a GE Profile, and using the Dometic mounting plate. I'm hoping someone here has replaced the stock unit with something that fit right in, and can share.

Thanks.
The plastic grill that I ordered today fits several brands and several brand models. With that being said the width is the same as your Dometic. In addition, the real manufacturer will use the same cabinet because the grill has to fit so the chance of a narrower cabinet is not in the mix.
What is in the mix is the height of the unit and the mounting plate. Someone would have to pay for the engineering to have a different cabinet made just for their product name. That begs the question as to why one would go to those efforts when a unit is already made and made for a few different brand names. I would guess that any of the makes I mentioned earlier would fit your space.
The mounting bracket may be different but that's an easy change out if necessary.
I could have my name printed on the door if I bought enough of them.
This remind me of the time I did some work at an orange packing plant in Mexico. Rolls and rolls of stickers saying organic grown for a California company. While they were organic certified they weren't grown in California.
Just like the time I stopped at a packing plant that was packing genuine Italian squash as stated on the box. This was in Mexico also so it's anyone's guess as to who actually produces a given product. One thing for sure, the electronics components come from one of the 'ese' countries, metal stamping and extrusion molding probably isn't done in the US, perhaps some are but I bet it's rare.
Measure your Dometic and go looking for the same size. My model number has a 17 in it so I'm guessing that's 1.7 cubic feet. Rough measurement comes out as 1.6 cubic feet so they probably round it up.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
What gets me Tom is one of the RV appliance/parts suppliers touts the Dometic as being made for the RV environment. Supposedly made tougher than a domestic unit. Words from a tech writer is about all it is. Drilled down to the smallest IC in the RV Dometic is the same as in any electronic. NASA or the military may spec out a component but a diode is a diode, it's just sized to the process.
Your pictured ice maker is a classic example, it's all the same with a different badge on it.
And all made in China.

Funny how the RV prices are significanlty higher than the big box stores.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,447
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I've found that for a few items already.

Example: The Dometic Small Portable Ice Maker. The mother ship sells it for $199 (although it is 'one sale' right now for $149.

Small Portable Ice Maker - Dometic HZB-12SA - Ice Makers - Camping World




However, the very same item under the Igloo nameplate sells every day at Sam's Club for $99.

Igloo Compact Ice Maker - Assorted Colors - Sam's Club

Twice per year, Home Depot puts these icemakers on sale for $89 or $99. I have one under my desk at work and two of our friends and my mother received them as gifts as a result.
__________________

__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2019 Ram 3500 Limited w/ Max Tow pkg
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×