Flashing Brake Lights - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Flashing Brake Lights

It's winter (below 70 degrees), and I'm bored and almost cabin bound. Instead of making posts that make people scratch their heads I've decided to built a brake light flasher. Any and all attention one can get when braking, whether it be a car, motorcycle or RV is a good thing.

My flasher will be adjustable and similar to what is found on newer automobiles.

I added the LED strips to accent the little OEM brake lights a few years back but I want more notice when I brake the 3800.

If anyone would like the schematic to do the same I'll shoot you the addy for it.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
...My flasher will be adjustable and similar to what is found on newer automobiles.

"...found on newer automobiles"? I've gotta admit to never having seen them. Not saying it's a bad idea, or that they aren't out there... just that I haven't seen that feature yet.

I may be wrong (as I have occasionally been known to be), but it was my understanding that flashing lights of any kind were illegal on all but safety vehicles (law enforcement, fire, medical, etc).

Of course, we all know that brake light "modulators" (not flashers) are legal on motorcycles... I always added them to my bikes, both front & rear, as there are many kits already on the market for that. But so far as I knew, they are the only vehicles allowed with them. Of course, federal law may have recently changed... I just wasn't aware of it.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

"...found on newer automobiles"? I've gotta admit to never having seen them. Not saying it's a bad idea, or that they aren't out there... just that I haven't seen that feature yet.

I may be wrong (as I have occasionally been known to be), but it was my understanding that flashing lights of any kind were illegal on all but safety vehicles (law enforcement, fire, medical, etc).

Of course, we all know that brake light "modulators" (not flashers) are legal on motorcycles... I always added them to my bikes, both front & rear, as there are many kits already on the market for that. But so far as I knew, they are the only vehicles allowed with them. Of course, federal law may have recently changed... I just wasn't aware of it.

My MINI COOPER has a setting to flash the brake lights when pedal is applied. the harder the brake pressure, the faster they flash.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Oklahoma
The automobile flashing brake lights are usually on the 'third brake light'. I think I've seen them on 18 wheelers also.

I have headlight modulators as well and I am fully aware of the difference between flashing and modulating. However the brake light circuit only flashes a certain number of times, like the third brake light ones do. After the prescribed amount of flashes the brake light becomes solid.

On the Raider I have the LED integrated turn/brake light system. It works the same way, flashes a few times and then turn solid.

On the Vstar I have the circuit I build and haven't been questioned by LEO as of yet. If and when I am questioned I'll plead a wiring problem and accept a repair order if necessary.

The key is the light turns solid and doesn't continue to flash which would be illegal.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
My MINI COOPER has a setting to flash the brake lights when pedal is applied. the harder the brake pressure, the faster they flash.
Back in the days of when I followed Mechanics Illustrated magazines the thought ran through my head that someone should design a brake light circuit that would be controlled by brake pressure. The harder the brake pedal was applied the brighter the brake light would become.
I like the Mini's idea, anything to get the eyeballs off the cell phone!

Now someone has beat me to the heated steering wheel. Another one of my bright ideas.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #6

Massachusetts
I put red strobes on the back of my snowmobile trailer ( in addition to my stock brake lights )
they flash with turn signals as well as brake lights a big help on those dark maine back roads when its snowing
I did research and was told red flashers or strobes are legal facing to the rear ....
but you still have to have normal .. standard brake lights as well as turn signals
I even had a police officer ask me to install them on his trailer
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Illinois
In Illinois, it was rotating and oscillating lights that would get you a ticket.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #8

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Federal law permits headlight modulators on motorcycles. I’m not aware of any blanket permission for brake light modulators on motorcycles. I failed NJ State inspection on my motorcycle one year because the inspector deemed the modulating brake LEDs illegal. I had to disconnect the modulator, and get reinspected. We solved the problem in NJ by eliminating motorcycle inspections. 😜
Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
It's winter (below 70 degrees), and I'm bored and almost cabin bound. Instead of making posts that make people scratch their heads I've decided to built a brake light flasher. Any and all attention one can get when braking, whether it be a car, motorcycle or RV is a good thing.

My flasher will be adjustable and similar to what is found on newer automobiles.

I added the LED strips to accent the little OEM brake lights a few years back but I want more notice when I brake the 3800.

If anyone would like the schematic to do the same I'll shoot you the addy for it.
I've been thinking along those lines myself. Sure, I'll take a copy of the schematic. I'm bored too.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
I've been thinking along those lines myself. Sure, I'll take a copy of the schematic. I'm bored too.
Motorcycle Brake Light Flasher

Nothing fancy to it. Easy to obtain components online.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Motorcycle Brake Light Flasher

Nothing fancy to it. Easy to obtain components online.
Looks easy-peasy to me. I already have most of the components I need too.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
Looks easy-peasy to me. I already have most of the components I need too.
Good deal that you have most of them, sure can't rely on Radio Shack to have anything but cell phones these days.

I ordered 4 of the IC and then found I already had 10 of them in the parts place. If you need one I'll send one to the desert for you.