Ammo Reloading - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
Doc

Utah
I reload with a hornady lock n load auto (progressive) press: .32 Long, .327 magnum, .380, 9mm, .38 .357, .45 acp, and .45 long colt. That's the pistol/revolver calibers I have dies for. For rifle: .223, 22-250, .270, 7mm-08 and .308. I started using my cousins single stage press reloading 30-30 ammo for hunting deer back in the late 60s. In the early 70s I got a Lee hand held loader for the 22-250. I reloaded enough to burn the barrel out on that rifle. It kind of grew from there.

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #12

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
the ranges around here do not allow reloads!
What is the reasoning behind not allowing reloads?

BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
What is the reasoning behind not allowing reloads?
They just don't allow them, I guess for they think, safety factor. They even examine your ammo before you can go in to shoot. Reminds me of the story about the toilet paper.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
They just don't allow them, I guess for they think, safety factor. They even examine your ammo before you can go in to shoot. Reminds me of the story about the toilet paper.
Safety always seem to be the easy answer. I shoot at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club with hundred of other shooters and the vast majority load their own ammo with no issues. This is a very simple way to increase sales/profit if they sell you the ammo. Are there any outdoor ranges near you? They are usually less restrictive. I would suggest that you save the factory ammo and start loading sooner rather than later. With a single stage press it is going to take a bit of time to load enough ammo for one session. BTW, I use the Hornady Lock N Load progressive for all pistol calibers and am very happy with it.

Be sure to get a couple of current reloading handbooks and read, understand and follow the guidelines. While it is relatively difficult to over charge a pistol cartridge, it is very easy to get rifle calibers too hot.
RichH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #15

South Dakota
I reload for every gun and caliber I have. Still use single stage press. Great way to set everything else aside and focus on one operation at a time. Also have casting equipment for the essential calibers.
2003 H-D FLHP/2010 H-D FXDC
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhogboss View Post
I reload for every gun and caliber I have. Still use single stage press. Great way to set everything else aside and focus on one operation at a time. Also have casting equipment for the essential calibers.
Even progressive presses can be used as a single stage press. I do that as I am getting all of the settings dialed in. I shoot steel so there is no way I could load enough ammo for a weekly match with a single stage press. To each their own.
RichH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #17

Oklahoma
I have a Dillon 650 that I reload 5 or 6 different calibers on. .357 is the bulk of my shooting with 9mm coming in a close 2nd. Get in a groove, and you can make hundreds of bullets without realizing it.