Food For Thought - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
Member
 
Rob C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Rescue
Posts: 49
California
Food For Thought

Food for thought that I wish an RV manufacturer would pick up the idea and run with! On our Arizona vacation this year I saw my first “Newmar” 5th wheel with tandem axles and dual wheels. (8 tires on the ground!) I'm thinking, great idea!
I know I am pushing 18,000 lbs. when I load up my 3905 with a RZR toy, tool box, water, food clothing, etc.….. That works out to about 2,500 lbs. load per tire on 3 axles (single wheel), considering the 5th wheel hitch is sharing the load equally.
With 8 tires sharing the same load that individual tire load would drop to 2,000 lbs. Eliminate the rear axle drag and lose one set of brakes that don’t do a lot of good anyway unless the load happens to be perfectly balanced across all three axles.
Getting the load reduced to a reasonable amount would accommodate running a more moderate price range of tire without fear of blowing out every time you hit a bump and get many more miles out of them as well.
Again, just food for thought. I would look very hard at changing up if somebody would just build it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_kountry_aire_dual_tandem_axles_with_16_inch_tires.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2956  
__________________

Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,138
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
Food for thought that I wish an RV manufacturer would pick up the idea and run with! On our Arizona vacation this year I saw my first “Newmar” 5th wheel with tandem axles and dual wheels. (8 tires on the ground!) I'm thinking, great idea!
I know I am pushing 18,000 lbs. when I load up my 3905 with a RZR toy, tool box, water, food clothing, etc.….. That works out to about 2,500 lbs. load per tire on 3 axles (single wheel), considering the 5th wheel hitch is sharing the load equally.
With 8 tires sharing the same load that individual tire load would drop to 2,000 lbs. Eliminate the rear axle drag and lose one set of brakes that don’t do a lot of good anyway unless the load happens to be perfectly balanced across all three axles.
Getting the load reduced to a reasonable amount would accommodate running a more moderate price range of tire without fear of blowing out every time you hit a bump and get many more miles out of them as well.
Again, just food for thought. I would look very hard at changing up if somebody would just build it!
Profits baby. profits! Redwood/Newmar dropped the fifth wheel line back in 2012 because it wasn't as profitable as their $800k motorhomes.

Redwood also hired real engineers, they didn't just buy stuff out of a catalog and slap it together.

Unfortunately the American public in general doesn't support quality products, they have a tendency to shop price first.

I hate to think what it would cost to custom build something like that today, you would probably be looking at a $250,000-$300,000 trailer. I don't know too many people that would be willing to pay that kind of price. Motorhomes, yes, trailers no.

Then there is always the redneck route...

Aaron

__________________

__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,138
North Carolina
Also, didn't think about it at the time I was posting... but you have a slightly lower overall per tire load limit with a dual wheel compared to a single wheel. I do agree however that 2 dual wheel set up is advantageous over a 3 axle single set up any time. I use BigTex heavy equipment trailers and they are rock solid compared to some older tri-axle equipment trailers we have. One of my trailers is rated to 60,000 GVW. The one we use the most is 48k# GVW.

Aaron

__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
[QUOTE=wahoonc;37415]
Unfortunately the American public in general doesn't support quality products, they have a tendency to shop price first.

Aaron

Then go out and do it all over again when the first POS dies.

The Redneck has the right idea, get your moneys worth out of it.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,138
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker;37421

[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"
Then go out and do it all over again when the first POS dies.

The Redneck has the right idea, get your moneys worth out of it.[/COLOR]
Which is why places like Walmart make a killing

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
chily3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 411
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Which is why places like Walmart make a killing

Aaron
Not from me do not set foot in there
__________________

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,710
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Which is why places like Walmart make a killing

Aaron
And Dutchman
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DesertRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Desert Hot Springs
Posts: 1,760
California
That's why I went to 17.5's I also noticed 17.5's on Momentum toyhaulers as OEM tires & wheels.
__________________
Mike
2002 42' Monaco Signature Triple Crown tow 2014 F-150
2014 Voltage V3605 Sold 5/3/17
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #9
Member
 
Rob C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Rescue
Posts: 49
California
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Also, didn't think about it at the time I was posting... but you have a slightly lower overall per tire load limit with a dual wheel compared to a single wheel. I do agree however that 2 dual wheel set up is advantageous over a 3 axle single set up any time. I use BigTex heavy equipment trailers and they are rock solid compared to some older tri-axle equipment trailers we have. One of my trailers is rated to 60,000 GVW. The one we use the most is 48k# GVW.

Aaron

Why not just do a build up from an already proven product! The redneck or "modified redneck" idea is definitely worth investigating before I ever buy another new "off the shelf", mass produced", "cookie cutter", "built to die" product. Our last RV was a 1991 Country Coach. It had some issues because of age but the "rebuildability" (my own word!) of every component on the coach was amazing! Everything was built to last and built to repair instead of replace. I get so tired of today's disposable society. I know the chassis will fail early on my toy hauler because it is built to just barely carry the anticipated load. So sad......
__________________

Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×