need your opinion on trailer guests - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 180
Utah
need your opinion on trailer guests

We are only one year into our new hobby of trailer camping, but enjoying it despite the liabilities.

Have had a few interesting experiences with friends and family staying with us in our trailer during a trip. Like the one when dry camping, a mother-in-law ran the sink constantly doing dishes while we were away for an hour giving no thought to WHERE the water was coming from, resulting in a 100% empty water tank.

So, like us not too long ago, a lot of folks are unfamliar (or just plain obvlivious) to trailer camping. I created this little document (attached) to hand out, post, or go over with our guests who might be in new territory. I hope it doesn't sound too snarky. haha

What do you guys think? Is there anything I am missing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tips and tricks for our trailer guests.pdf (72.7 KB, 80 views)
__________________

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,265
Wyoming
I’ve not even read it, and I can think of one...

DON’T ALLOW GUESTS TO STAY IN YOUR RIG!

Tell them to either buy their own RV... get a tent... rent a campground cabin... or get a nearby hotel room.

Why take the chance of allowing someone else to ruin your capital investment, and screw up your travels... all for nothing more than their benefit & enjoyment?

If they wanna play... let ‘em pay.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions, and that’s just the way I feel about it. Your mileage may vary...
__________________

__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 180
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I’ve not even read it, and I can think of one...

DON’T ALLOW GUESTS TO STAY IN YOUR RIG!

Tell them to either buy their own RV... get a tent... rent a campground cabin... or get a nearby hotel room.

Why take the chance of allowing someone else to ruin your capital investment, and screw up your travels... all for nothing more than their benefit & enjoyment?

If they wanna play... let ‘me pay.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions, and that’s just the way I feel about it. Your mileage may vary...
Yep. No problem. I hear ya and half-agree. We would not let strangers ruin our equipment, but I am mostly talking about VERY close family/friends. Our own kids, for example. And even my wife. But for the new guest of our choosing that we would have stay with us, I was simply trying to document the things I might want to tell them. It might be too stuffy to hand them a list.

As an example, I often have good buddies who don't own trailers, but who own ATVs. They will bring their ATVs and I will bring my trailer and we will share and have a great time.

And so unless I choose to be a loner hermit, I think we will continue to have carefully selected guests with us.
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,627
Tennessee
Seems reasonable to me. We go escape humans and rarely have people stay with us, but i'll cut your feet off if you come in my RV with shoes on.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 705
Arizona
We've had many family/friends stay in our garage, which doubles as a 2nd bedroom. There's never been an issue but then, we don't dry camp.
__________________
2014 Voltage 3600
2013 Chevy 3500 CC DRW
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
dsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Calabasas
Posts: 153
California
You should add the following:

Turn off lights when not in use.

Do not leave the refrigerator door open any longer than necessary. RV refrigerators heat up quickly when the door is open and are slow to cool down. You will also save propane too.

Turn off water pump when nobody is in the trailer. This is not to save power but in case of a leak it will save a big flood. While unlikely, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Consider bringing power banks for phone charging. Your trailer might have one 12v outlet but without shore power no AC so they will come in handy. Recharge power banks in your tow vehicle.
dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 180
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
You should add the following:

Turn off lights when not in use.

Do not leave the refrigerator door open any longer than necessary. RV refrigerators heat up quickly when the door is open and are slow to cool down. You will also save propane too.

Turn off water pump when nobody is in the trailer. This is not to save power but in case of a leak it will save a big flood. While unlikely, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Consider bringing power banks for phone charging. Your trailer might have one 12v outlet but without shore power no AC so they will come in handy. Recharge power banks in your tow vehicle.
dsol - good tips, even for me! I am hoping the lights and the fridge are obvious to most...perhpas note. The water pump thing is important.

Our trailer has USB chargers all over that work off the 12 VDC battery, but yeah - battery banks don't hurt!
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #8
Member
 
capeharj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Gregory
Posts: 20
Michigan
ATCguy, If you look at a trailer or rv as a capital investment, you've got the wrong idea. They start losing value the minute you sign the papers just like a car. It's money spent to have an enjoyable time, and having friends and family enjoy it with you. A little instruction is all that is needed.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Roselle
Posts: 1,114
Illinois
I enjoy the company of having friends and family visit, however Regardless of size or cost, 99% of RV's are meant for two people (sleeping and dining inside). I can have an overnighter for one night, but that's about it. Until bedtime, I don't care how many come and visit.
Rusty
__________________
2015 Black F-350 Platinum Diesel Dually Crew Cab
2019 Riverstone Legacy 38MB (Full Paint/All Options)
2015 Voltage 3990 (Full Paint, All Options) Sold 6/18
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,700
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I enjoy the company of having friends and family visit, however Regardless of size or cost, 99% of RV's are meant for two people (sleeping and dining inside). I can have an overnighter for one night, but that's about it. Until bedtime, I don't care how many come and visit.
Rusty
**LIKE**

__________________

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.