need your opinion on trailer guests - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 AM   #1

Utah
need your opinion on trailer guests

We are only one year into our new hobby of trailer camping, but enjoying it despite the liabilities.

Have had a few interesting experiences with friends and family staying with us in our trailer during a trip. Like the one when dry camping, a mother-in-law ran the sink constantly doing dishes while we were away for an hour giving no thought to WHERE the water was coming from, resulting in a 100% empty water tank.

So, like us not too long ago, a lot of folks are unfamliar (or just plain obvlivious) to trailer camping. I created this little document (attached) to hand out, post, or go over with our guests who might be in new territory. I hope it doesn't sound too snarky. haha

What do you guys think? Is there anything I am missing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tips and tricks for our trailer guests.pdf (72.7 KB, 188 views)

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #2

Wyoming
I’ve not even read it, and I can think of one...

DON’T ALLOW GUESTS TO STAY IN YOUR RIG!

Tell them to either buy their own RV... get a tent... rent a campground cabin... or get a nearby hotel room.

Why take the chance of allowing someone else to ruin your capital investment, and screw up your travels... all for nothing more than their benefit & enjoyment?

If they wanna play... let ‘em pay.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions, and that’s just the way I feel about it. Your mileage may vary...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #3

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I’ve not even read it, and I can think of one...

DON’T ALLOW GUESTS TO STAY IN YOUR RIG!

Tell them to either buy their own RV... get a tent... rent a campground cabin... or get a nearby hotel room.

Why take the chance of allowing someone else to ruin your capital investment, and screw up your travels... all for nothing more than their benefit & enjoyment?

If they wanna play... let ‘me pay.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions, and that’s just the way I feel about it. Your mileage may vary...
Yep. No problem. I hear ya and half-agree. We would not let strangers ruin our equipment, but I am mostly talking about VERY close family/friends. Our own kids, for example. And even my wife. But for the new guest of our choosing that we would have stay with us, I was simply trying to document the things I might want to tell them. It might be too stuffy to hand them a list.

As an example, I often have good buddies who don't own trailers, but who own ATVs. They will bring their ATVs and I will bring my trailer and we will share and have a great time.

And so unless I choose to be a loner hermit, I think we will continue to have carefully selected guests with us.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 AM   #4

Tennessee
Seems reasonable to me. We go escape humans and rarely have people stay with us, but i'll cut your feet off if you come in my RV with shoes on.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #5

Arizona
We've had many family/friends stay in our garage, which doubles as a 2nd bedroom. There's never been an issue but then, we don't dry camp.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:56 AM   #6

California
You should add the following:

Turn off lights when not in use.

Do not leave the refrigerator door open any longer than necessary. RV refrigerators heat up quickly when the door is open and are slow to cool down. You will also save propane too.

Turn off water pump when nobody is in the trailer. This is not to save power but in case of a leak it will save a big flood. While unlikely, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Consider bringing power banks for phone charging. Your trailer might have one 12v outlet but without shore power no AC so they will come in handy. Recharge power banks in your tow vehicle.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
You should add the following:

Turn off lights when not in use.

Do not leave the refrigerator door open any longer than necessary. RV refrigerators heat up quickly when the door is open and are slow to cool down. You will also save propane too.

Turn off water pump when nobody is in the trailer. This is not to save power but in case of a leak it will save a big flood. While unlikely, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Consider bringing power banks for phone charging. Your trailer might have one 12v outlet but without shore power no AC so they will come in handy. Recharge power banks in your tow vehicle.
dsol - good tips, even for me! I am hoping the lights and the fridge are obvious to most...perhpas note. The water pump thing is important.

Our trailer has USB chargers all over that work off the 12 VDC battery, but yeah - battery banks don't hurt!
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

Michigan
ATCguy, If you look at a trailer or rv as a capital investment, you've got the wrong idea. They start losing value the minute you sign the papers just like a car. It's money spent to have an enjoyable time, and having friends and family enjoy it with you. A little instruction is all that is needed.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #9

Illinois
I enjoy the company of having friends and family visit, however Regardless of size or cost, 99% of RV's are meant for two people (sleeping and dining inside). I can have an overnighter for one night, but that's about it. Until bedtime, I don't care how many come and visit.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I enjoy the company of having friends and family visit, however Regardless of size or cost, 99% of RV's are meant for two people (sleeping and dining inside). I can have an overnighter for one night, but that's about it. Until bedtime, I don't care how many come and visit.
Rusty
**LIKE**

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:51 AM   #11

Florida
Only visitors allowed in my RV are all named Grand.....

As in Grandson and Granddaughter and Grandpups.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
ATCguy, If you look at a trailer or rv as a capital investment, you've got the wrong idea. They start losing value the minute you sign the papers just like a car. It's money spent to have an enjoyable time, and having friends and family enjoy it with you. A little instruction is all that is needed.
The investment is not for financial gain... but for my enjoyment. And by that I mean MY enjoyment... not theirs. And my enjoyment does not include either making or paying for repairs that they may cause.

I like to spend time with family & friends as much as the next guy. But if they want enjoyment too, then let them spend their own money... not sponge off of my investment. I can have just a good of a time with or without them.

Not saying my way is “right” or “wrong”... better or worse than yours. Just the way I feel about it. Your mileage may vary.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Rusty
Nailed it. We got into camping by being invited to stay with some friends once.

It wasn't until we got out first camper that I realized how bad it sucked to have another couple stay the night in a small camper. I actually apologized for being a camping mooch I love having friends over during the day for a bbq, some cornhole and swimming in the lake, after the nightly campfire it's nice to watch their taillights fade off into the distance.

We still have people spend the night once in a while just as a reminder of how awesome it is to not have people stay over
Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

Utah
Quote:
Rusty
Agreed. Our first little 26’ trailer can sleep 8. But we quickly found out that even our family of 4 is a crowd. 2-4 people is fine when close friends/family, but more than that is stuffy. Just because it can doesn’t mean it should. Haha.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Rusty
Our saying concerning our Voltage that the brochure says sleeps 10 - Unlimited visitors, Dinner for 6, Cocktails for 4, sleeps 2 (Dogs and Daughters gain an exception to the rule).

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote