2014 Kodiak delam already? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Alberta
2014 Kodiak delam already?

Frustrated with what looks like delamination on my only 3 year old trailer. We hardly ever pull it and have it parked at my in-laws cabin. Also seeing water damage in the trailer by the queen bed.

Sent an email to Dutchmen/Keystone. Lisa Calderon (Owner Relations Advisor) emailed back stating to proceed with my dealer to have them submit pictures with a diagnosis for review.

Have a roof and exterior inspection with the dealer on the 14th, but they said they would be very surprised if Dutchmen would cover any delamination this far out of warranty. Only had 1 year on warranty, but notice that some other companies are now offering a 5 year delam warranty. Anyone hear this as well?

Anyways, new to the group and have been reading a lot. A lot of great info and happy to be on here. Will update on this thread what transposes.
cheers,
TT
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2014 Kodiak 240BHSL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2017-09-04, 11 16 01 AM.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	4410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2017-09-04, 11 34 52 AM.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	4411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2017-09-04, 11 34 30 AM.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	4412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2017-09-04, 12 37 23 PM.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2017-09-04, 12 37 28 PM.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	4414  

TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
Frustrated with what looks like delamination on my only 3 year old trailer. We hardly ever pull it and have it parked at my in-laws cabin. Also seeing water damage in the trailer by the queen bed.

Sent an email to Dutchmen/Keystone. Lisa Calderon (Owner Relations Advisor) emailed back stating to proceed with my dealer to have them submit pictures with a diagnosis for review.

Have a roof and exterior inspection with the dealer on the 14th, but they said they would be very surprised if Dutchmen would cover any delamination this far out of warranty. Only had 1 year on warranty, but notice that some other companies are now offering a 5 year delam warranty. Anyone hear this as well?

Anyways, new to the group and have been reading a lot. A lot of great info and happy to be on here. Will update on this thread what transposes.
cheers,
TT
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2014 Kodiak 240BHSL

Good luck with your issue. I wish you the best.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

Tennessee
That looks like the water damage probably caused the delam. It's super important to get on that roof at least twice a year and check/caulk it. If they find any hint of water penetration from the roof, they won't fix anything. Good luck
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #4

Washington
I have the same delamination damage with my 2014 221RBSL .... quick pic attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delam 01.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	4457  
jjs405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

Michigan
So I have to ask, how many times have you gotten up on the roof, cleaned the roof, and checked the sealant?
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs405 View Post
I have the same delamination damage with my 2014 221RBSL .... quick pic attached...
That's water damage causing delamination. Delamination as a factory defect is when the forming or vaccum sealing of the panels didn't adhere properly and over time the top layer may bubble or come loose. You have a nasty roof leak that's causing a lot of damage.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #7

Washington
I bought the trailer used, it was one year old when I got it & had a small bubble in the same place. I check the roof at least yearly if not twice a year. In doing so I have reapplied Dicor lap sealant and used EternaBond tape to reinforce areas. It is also covered with a Calmark cover in the winter ... I have checked & checked inside for any evidence of leaks after washing & heavy rainstorms & found nothing inside.

I don't like it - but cannot seem to stop the delamination.
jjs405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

Tennessee
From the pic it sure looks like water intrusion. It also looks like there may be gaps between the outer panel and the edge trim. If it truly is water tight, it's cosmetic and at least you won't have mold worries. I'm always more suspicious of water damage when the delam starts on the roof edge or corner as opposed to out in the middle of a wall panel.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Colorado
We've got that exact same camper, 240BHSL. Luckily we have no signs of delimitation so far....... However we spend most of our time in dry climates and low humidity. I have battled a few water leaks at the roof vents over the years but seem to have sorted them out. Best of luck with the dealer and hopefully it's just cosmetic!!
I also have to say it's been a wonderful camper. A few issues here and there but we've been full-time traveling in it for over 2 years now.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #10

Tennessee
The first Kodiak is leaking at the trim where the roof and wall meet.

The second is leaking at the light. The lights they use are not waterproof and were never supposed to be. It's a struggle to keep them sealed. I'm looking for a truly sealed replacement for mine and open to suggestions.

The same thing happens to pickup trucks with marker lights. If you don't maintain the seal on the roof it will rust around the windshield.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk