1700BH - TV mount options - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 04:37 AM   #1

Texas
1700BH - TV mount options

Hello,

I just bought a 2019 Aspen Trail LE 1700BH. I noticed the coax cable for the antenna is to the left of the top cabinet in the kitchen area. So it would appear for the 2019 the TV is meant to go there. Any ideas what the intended location, mount type, and max tv size is?

I saw previous year models has a full wall (mine is a half wall) there the dinette is with a sticker to mount the TV there and others had a location above the queen bed.

Thanks!

JerryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #2

California
There should be a sticker on the wall where the bracket is to be mounted. IF not take it back to the dealer and have them mark the spot or have them install the TV. Also might want to check so see if they have the same model with the sticker. My Aspen Trail 1900rb did not have the sticker and part of my deal was to mount the TV etc.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 AM   #3

Texas
I contacted Dutchmen with my VIN and waiting to see what they say.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

Illinois
Be careful. Several post on this site where stickers were wrong. Stud finder would be a good idea. Most people install a solid piece of wood screwed into studs at several places, then install TV to that.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Be careful. Several post on this site where stickers were wrong. Stud finder would be a good idea. Most people install a solid piece of wood screwed into studs at several places, then install TV to that.
Rusty
^^^ THIS ^^^^

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #6

California
I also agree with Rusty and Frank. My sticker that said “mount tv here” was in the wrong place. Had I blindly taken the advice of that sticker I would have a (broken) tv and mount laying on the floor in my trailer by now. Suggest you save the trip to the dealer and buy a stud finder and take some of the time saved to really learn how to use the stud finder.

Remember, a stud finder indicates the edge of a stud so you need to find both edges of the stud (left side and right side) then drill your hole in the middle of the edges. Also, check a few inches higher and lower than you plan to drill any holes or drive any screws because sometimes these studs will not run the entire way up and down a wall and you might pick up some other piece of wood back there.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #7

Texas
Response back from Dutchmen was lackluster. Essentially it was attach the TV to a stud or take it to the dealer and have them do it. There is no TV mount sticker anywhere in the RV.

This is a stock photo (below) but my cable jack and an outlet are in that recess left of the top cabinet. The antenna booster button is also there.

What I was hoping to find out is where the intended location & type of TV mount (IE a wall mount, under cabinet mount, etc) would go and the suitable size. I would have assumed when someone put the connections there that there was a thought/plan on how that would work.

I guess I'll measure it tonight and see what I can figure out/mock up. I know that I need to go into a wall stud or possibly build a backer plate to help secure everything. I know I don't want to block the top cabinet or the controls on the other side of the cabinet. I also don't want to have to rewire

Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #8

Tennessee
There's not much room in there for a TV on the wall where it would be viewable from the bed and dinette. From where they placed the hookups, it looks like they want you to put it on the counter, then it could be rotated so you could see it from the bed or dinette. Not a great plan but I don't see a viable wall mounting option where the hookups are. You can always wall mount wherever is best and rewire it. I ran a separate hookup for my satellite dish, it isn't that hard.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
There's not much room in there for a TV on the wall where it would be viewable from the bed and dinette. From where they placed the hookups, it looks like they want you to put it on the counter, then it could be rotated so you could see it from the bed or dinette. Not a great plan but I don't see a viable wall mounting option where the hookups are. You can always wall mount wherever is best and rewire it. I ran a separate hookup for my satellite dish, it isn't that hard.
I'm going to measure everything tonight and see what works. I feel like with the right swivel mount you could get something there and be able to pan it from the bed to the dinette. Most home TV mounts just tilt but I see some TV mounts with multiple pivot points. Also going to measure for an undermount option.

Other challenge is keeping that cabinet accessible as well as the battery/tank level monitor and light/awning control which is around the corner facing the front of the coach.

I'll be sure to post my findings for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

Texas
I had a longer reply but it timed out when I hit post and I lost it.

I decided not to try and do a TV mount because the TV was going to be in the way/awkward.

Instead I found an under cabinet mount by Mount It model MI-4200. Folded up the bracket won't interfere with anything. You basically have 10.5" under the kitchen cabinet (12" if you remove the window blind). The mount folded is 9.6".

I then found that a 15.6" TV should fit perfectly at 14.7" W x 1.9" D x 9.6" T. So in theory it can be folded out of the way for more counter space access or be put down and swivel toward the dinette or bed based on viewing needs.

I wanted something larger but I also didn't want the TV mount and TV in the way of the door/walkway/obstructing use of the kitchen.

The logistical issue will be how to most effectively secure the TV mount. I noticed that the bottom of the cabinet isn't the actual bottom of the cabinet because there is a thin veneered layer that flexes when you push on it. So I'll likely have to get long enough screws that it goes through this layer and into the bottom of the cabinet without going all the way through.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTX View Post
I had a longer reply but it timed out when I hit post and I lost it.

I decided not to try and do a TV mount because the TV was going to be in the way/awkward.

Instead I found an under cabinet mount by Mount It model MI-4200. Folded up the bracket won't interfere with anything. You basically have 10.5" under the kitchen cabinet (12" if you remove the window blind). The mount folded is 9.6".

I then found that a 15.6" TV should fit perfectly at 14.7" W x 1.9" D x 9.6" T. So in theory it can be folded out of the way for more counter space access or be put down and swivel toward the dinette or bed based on viewing needs.

I wanted something larger but I also didn't want the TV mount and TV in the way of the door/walkway/obstructing use of the kitchen.

The logistical issue will be how to most effectively secure the TV mount. I noticed that the bottom of the cabinet isn't the actual bottom of the cabinet because there is a thin veneered layer that flexes when you push on it. So I'll likely have to get long enough screws that it goes through this layer and into the bottom of the cabinet without going all the way through.

Sounds like tightening up the screws would crush that space...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Sounds like tightening up the screws would crush that space...
The TV and mount arrive today so I'll know tomorrow when I get around to doing the install what the situation is. I've considered that possibility and have a few hardware mounting options.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #13

Texas
So the 15.6" TV and mount worked perfectly. Been up there since Friday with no issues.

Picture of the finished product:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nL...Z3OMwduhYwr2EN
Old 10-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #14

Ontario
Oh, I like the look of that.
We have a coleman 1925BH with TV mount marked where the radio is. Flat panel, I can access the back of the stereo and wire cables in that recess by removing a panel in the cupboard there. There is enough room for a 24" TV, which I happen to have with built in DVD player, it will block the face of the radio so we'd have to pull the TV out slightly to operate that... Failing that, I may look into an under cabinet mount like yours and a smaller tv to go in the dinette area.

This is a stock photo from a dealership, but you can see the mount they used on the right hand side. But there is also a lot of empty space under the cabinet at the dinette too...
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #15

Texas
Quick update on this... I got back last week from a trip from Dallas to San Marcos (TX) which was about a 550 mile round trip and so far so good with the mount. Zero issues with the mounting setup. Some of the roads were very bumpy so if those didn't cause an issue I don't think anything will.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #16

Montana
I was lucky and got the full wall over the top bunk. I am trying to figure out where else you might put it and can't. They really cheapened them it appears to me by taking that wall out AND taking the cabinets out of the front above the bed AND taking out the extra shelf next to the bed... They after you I think put a bigger fridge where the pantry is now. Why I don't know. I liked the small fridge and ALL the pantry space... As for the TV, I'd likely just set it up on the dinette and lay in bed and watch it. Wrap the TV in a blanket when you go... But we are empty nesters so there is that...

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1700bh tv mount