New Cub 214 owners - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
New Cub 214 owners

Hi All,

We just got a 2007 Cub Aerolite 214, looking forward to "camping" with the family (3 year old, 3 month old, and dog)

First time TT for me though I grew up with boats and wife had some pop up time with her family growing up, and I've got a class-A CDL, so combined we sort of know what we're doing, it will be a fun learning experience though.

Trailer is almost like new, previous owner kept in covered storage and says only used about once a year.

Towing with a 2004 Lincoln Navigator (rated for 8300lb vs trailer GVWR of 4800lb so should be easy going).




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 293
Maryland
Welcome Aboard!
__________________

__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,139
North Carolina
Welcome to the forums! Nice find on the Cub! You should do fine with the Navigator, bet that old F150 could probably tow it too.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Welcome to the forums! Nice find on the Cub! You should do fine with the Navigator, bet that old F150 could probably tow it too.



Aaron


Actually an F250 diesel, but the Navigator actually has a higher tow rating. Only 7k rating on the truck, things sure have changed!
But it would do just fine pulling the trailer, just no room for kids&dog plus the Navi has all the creature comforts.

We're really excited to get out there. Hopefully dealing with DMV today to legalize it.. one of my most dreaded activities..

Floorplan seems perfect, and most importantly the PO was really on top of it maintenance wise, though it's ready for tires.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,715
Tennessee
Climb up on that roof and caulk all the cracked joints, nothing wrecks a camping trip like water leaks.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Climb up on that roof and caulk all the cracked joints, nothing wrecks a camping trip like water leaks.
The previous owner I believe took care of that but I will need to verify.. Is a standard outdoor household caulk good, or something special needed?

Any other things to look out for on a 10 year old Cub? Tires are on the to do list. We have a 500+ mile trip to the poconos planned for June, and hopefully a few "shake down" runs locally before then. Everything looks to be in order but some things can hide.

Another dumb question.. there are some small bars to secure the slide out in transit. PO said he never used them, but they seem like a good idea, but not sure exactly where they should go. Is there supposed to be a standard location for these? I do have the owner's manual so I should double check that I guess but thought others may have an idea.
mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 24
Pennsylvania
A few things to check.
Check the date on the tires and replace them if needed I would look at Maxxis tires


Check brake pads and wheel bearings


Check the gasket for the A/C unit and tighten down if needed


Install a brake controller if needed


Look in the overhead cabinets there should be a decal as to where to place the transit bars I don't normally use them when towing short distance but I would on long trips Cheap insurance against Murphy's Law
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,715
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackguy View Post
The previous owner I believe took care of that but I will need to verify.. Is a standard outdoor household caulk good, or something special needed?
They really need to be checked every year, mine only gets towed a few hundred miles a year and it's only 2.5 years old and already has cracked joints. What type of roof is it? DICOR makes a self leveling lap sealant that is excellent for epdm and tpo roofs. I would never use any household caulk on the roof.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
A few things to check.
Check the date on the tires and replace them if needed I would look at Maxxis tires


Check brake pads and wheel bearings


Check the gasket for the A/C unit and tighten down if needed


Install a brake controller if needed


Look in the overhead cabinets there should be a decal as to where to place the transit bars I don't normally use them when towing short distance but I would on long trips Cheap insurance against Murphy's Law


Thanks,
Tires are already on to do list as they are original (2006 date)

Already have brake controller hooked up & mounted

Brakes&wheel bearings good idea, will check when doing tires

Where would ac gasket be? Just the mounting gasket to roof?

I will look for decal

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 24
Pennsylvania
Use Dicor and Eternabond Tape Some good videos on you tube about using these products
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 24
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackguy View Post
Thanks,
Tires are already on to do list as they are original (2006 date)

Already have brake controller hooked up & mounted

Brakes&wheel bearings good idea, will check when doing tires

Where would ac gasket be? Just the mounting gasket to roof?

I will look for decal

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure of the make of tires you currently have But in my opinion I would not travel very far on them They are 11 years old and long past being replaced They may still look good but looks are deceiving You may want to check out Discount Tires Direct on line or thru e-bay They offer some good deals Also go with Maxxis Tires They have good reviews. Plus I have been very pleased with them.

A/C gasket is the mounting gasket Just check it yearly Make sure the mounting bolts are tight so that no water leaks occur There are some good videos on youtube on this subject
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
Yes, the current tires look terrible, they're DURO bias ply cheapos.. Just trying to figure out what to replace them with, and it's definitely on the to do list for anything beyond a short local hop. I've got my own tire changing and balancing equip so just need to decide what tires to buy.

Good thought on the AC gasket I'll take a look.
mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 24
Pennsylvania
Go with Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire
They were on my TT when I purchased it I have a 2004 tire date was 2003 Replaced them in Sept of 2015 Although they were 12 years old they looked very good But they were long past the time they should have been replaced
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gastonia
Posts: 4
Arizona
Congrats on the new to you,cub 214.i jave the same one,except its a 2005.we enjoy being able to enjoy outside with the canvas bunk ends or if we need to,we can close up and camp without losing space.the only issues i had so far,was replacing the bunk end seals and also the fuses were getting loose in the fuse panel.i hope that you enjoy yours and happy camping!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
roc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc87 View Post
Congrats on the new to you,cub 214.i jave the same one,except its a 2005.we enjoy being able to enjoy outside with the canvas bunk ends or if we need to,we can close up and camp without losing space.the only issues i had so far,was replacing the bunk end seals and also the fuses were getting loose in the fuse panel.i hope that you enjoy yours and happy camping!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk


The bunk seals do look a little weathered, what's a good source for these?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gastonia
Posts: 4
Arizona
I will dig in and look up a part # for the replacement and post it back

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
roc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lexington
Posts: 15
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc87 View Post
I will dig in and look up a part # for the replacement and post it back

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk


Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #18
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gastonia
Posts: 4
Arizona
The folks that i talked with,can't find an oem replacement at the dealer.they always give out an oversized foam type seal that won't stay on over time.one guy had success with a company called uni-grip.they carry a smaller D shaped rubber seal that fit perfect and held up.it was $2 a foot and took 2 weeks to get.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
__________________

roc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×