City water connection filling up fresh water tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2024, 02:20 AM   #1

California
City water connection filling up fresh water tank

Hello everyone reading this thread. By the title of this thread, it will be pretty apparent about what I’m going to ask. When we are taking our 2021 lantern out on our “Glamping” trips, we hook up the water from the site to the city water connection. From that point it starts to fill my fresh water tank. I’m still able to draw water from the sinks and shower and toilet when hooked up to city, but I have to leave the drain valve for the fresh water open otherwise it fills up.

I have not touched any of the bypass valves to any of the other connections. Does anyone have any idea what it is that’s causing this issue.

Postman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman94 View Post
Hello everyone reading this thread. By the title of this thread, it will be pretty apparent about what I’m going to ask. When we are taking our 2021 lantern out on our “Glamping” trips, we hook up the water from the site to the city water connection. From that point it starts to fill my fresh water tank. I’m still able to draw water from the sinks and shower and toilet when hooked up to city, but I have to leave the drain valve for the fresh water open otherwise it fills up.

I have not touched any of the bypass valves to any of the other connections. Does anyone have any idea what it is that’s causing this issue.
Replace the water pump.

Each water pump has a check valve that prevents water from going into the fresh water tank after its pumped. If this valve leaks, it goes into the fresh water tank eventually leaking out.

The valve should be in the pump itself. For a quick fix, you could cap the fresh water in valve off, but it s probably easier to deal with it leaking out. Could also just shut city water off a land use the fresh water tank.

Funny you mention this. I don’t use city water; i just boondock. Lately, I’ve been hearing the pump go off for no reason. This means it’s leaking somewhere. A couple years ago, I found a leak at a connection behind the cabinet. This time, no pipes are leaking, and it’s iits a chore to inspect them all.

THe ony thing left for me is to change the water pump. My trouble shooting procedure when i get home will be to hook it to city water to see if tghe tank fills up.

chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #3

Florida
aside from the intentional valves made for filling or winterizing, the water pump is the only other inlet to the fresh tank. I believe chrisski is quite correct in her/his assessment. While you are replacing the pump, I would consider making it quieter by putting some rubber under it and some flexible hose between the current hose and the pump. it will make it so you can barely hear it.

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...ippi-8092.html
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, fresh water tank