Install vent on roof - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2023, 01:29 AM   #1

Texas
Install vent on roof

I am installing a composting toilet and need to drill opening in roof for vent. Are there electrical wiring in roof? Spacing of rafters? I'm worried I'm going to hit something and create more problems. Please help. Thank you.

Rshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:24 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshed View Post
I am installing a composting toilet and need to drill opening in roof for vent. Are there electrical wiring in roof? Spacing of rafters? I'm worried I'm going to hit something and create more problems. Please help. Thank you.
you should have an existing roof vent for the old toilet...yes, there are wires going to the lights and the AC's.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:10 PM   #3

California
There is wiring/cable in your roof. I would suggest carefully drilling just through the ceiling panel, then checking for wires. If any wires are there, they should have enough slack to move them out of the way. You should be able to locate the trusses by looking for fasteners/staples attaching the ceiling panels to the trusses. In my 5th wheel all of the wiring and cable in the roof is just laying on top of the ceiling panels.
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Ceiling to Roof access

Since we don't know about your lite fixtures, will tell you my overhead lights mounted in the ceiling can be pulled down out of the hole they are mounted in. They are just held in place by springs. I have often pulled one down to see what is between the ceiling and roof. My bathroom has one of the fixtures in the ceiling. It allows a limited view of what is up there.

In a different post one of the forum members suggested getting an endoscope from Amazon which allows you to use your phone to see in tight spaces. Not just in the RV but your home, car, etc. They are not terribly expensive. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=endoscope...s_ts-doa-p_1_4

Mine is to be delivered within the next week. Can hardly wait as I have several spots I want to look at in my RV and in my home.

Good luck.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote