Mounting items to walls - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Ontario
Mounting items to walls

I've read some posts and threads where people recommend using pop rivets for mounting to interior TT walls... I want to mount a flashlight just inside my door, over my fire extinguisher, and I tried just screwing the bracket into the wall, and it only went so far before it stopped. it's right around the door frame area so is it safe to assume that there may be extra metal framing there that I would have to drill through first to create a pilot hole?
Also, when using rivets are people drilling a hole first, just through the plywood/panel skin and then plugging it in? Our camper came with the toilet roll holder in the instruction manuals pouch, so I need to mount that as well. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Wyoming
I'm not a fan of pop-rivets. Personally, I prefer wall anchors like these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	5940

Name:	anchor2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	5941

You'll have to measure the thickness of the wall of your rig, but for mine the anchors are short enough to not poke thru the skin. Insert the anchor, then hang whatever you want with the screw.

You can find them in various sizes packs at Lowes (4-packs, 20, 50, etc), or get them from Amazon. I've used them for all kinds of things in my rig for the past few years with no issues.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #3

Florida
POP rivets
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I'm not a fan of pop-rivets. Personally, I prefer wall anchors like these:

Attachment 5940

Attachment 5941

You'll have to measure the thickness of the wall of your rig, but for mine the anchors are short enough to not poke thru the skin. Insert the anchor, then hang whatever you want with the screw.

You can find them in various sizes packs at Lowes (4-packs, 20, 50, etc), or get them from Amazon. I've used them for all kinds of things in my rig for the past few years with no issues.
I've used those before in the house... however, where i was trying to put a screw in, it won't go in all the way, so would that be a frame or stud? Not that it keeps spinning, it bottoms out, and its not very long either. The camper is aluminum frame with fiberglass skin. Do I predrill with a metal bit to get the in? for other areas, where it is just the normal wall, how thick are they?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #5

Ontario
This is where I tried to screw into the frame for a flashlight. I'm assuming I'll have to drill through metal then use the screws?

Name:	20191012_113544.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	5944
Old 10-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatteis View Post
This is where I tried to screw into the frame for a flashlight. I'm assuming I'll have to drill through metal then use the screws?

Attachment 5944
what's on the other side?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Lucky you. You found solid support. It is likely an aluminum frame member. It could be a door frame part. If it is aluminum, no worries. Just use a stainless sheet metal screw. If it is door frame, I don't know the best course of action.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
what's on the other side?
The outside.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Lucky you. You found solid support. It is likely an aluminum frame member. It could be a door frame part. If it is aluminum, no worries. Just use a stainless sheet metal screw. If it is door frame, I don't know the best course of action.
I'm assuming if it's the door frame as well, drilling 2 small holes in it won't make a difference, there is no electrical, and that is the latch side of the door, low enough to not get near any other parts of the door.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #10

South Carolina
Pop Rivets would seem to me to be overkill for walls in a home or RV. Also much more difficult to remove compared to a plastic anchor as ATC guy showed.

How is the fire extinguisher mounted? Duplicate that.
Or.............

I would estimate the thickness of the wall. Open the door and eye ball it with a ruler/tape measure. Since you hit something solid, probably aluminum. Get a "self tapping sheet metal screw" just long enough to get into your "something solid". And not long enough to go completely thru the wall. Cross your fingers and go for it. Be careful, once a self tapping screw catches it will try very hard to keep going.

Personally, I would stay away from windows and doors and find another strategic location for your flashlight.

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #11

Colorado
I've embraced velcro since last year when husband drilled thru and out the exterior fiberglass, though now I know how to fix holes in the fiberglass! Have velcroed many items of various weights where screws just failed - fire alarm, carbon dioxide alarm, little lights above the sleeping area, push light above the door right when you enter, etc. May want to try it instead of drilling. Might work and be easier.
(was 2014 4runner)
twertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twertsch View Post
I've embraced velcro since last year when husband drilled thru and out the exterior fiberglass, though now I know how to fix holes in the fiberglass! Have velcroed many items of various weights where screws just failed - fire alarm, carbon dioxide alarm, little lights above the sleeping area, push light above the door right when you enter, etc. May want to try it instead of drilling. Might work and be easier.
Lol, I remember that!!