Shipping a Fifth wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2022, 12:17 AM   #1

Ontario
Shipping a Fifth wheel

If I had to have my 32ft fifth wheel shipped from Ottawa Ontario Canada to Alberta Canada, how would I do this? The distance would be about 3400kms (2100 Miles). Are there companies that specialize in moving fifth wheels? Are they towed behind a truck or loaded on a flat bed trailer and towed that way? The reason I ask is the trailer has been in climate control storage for 3 years, during those three years it hasn't moved an inch. If the moving company will tow it behind a truck it would need a visit to to an RV dealer for grease job, tire inspection and overall inspection prior to a tow that far. I am looking for information from someone who has done a similar move or could recommend a company to complete the move.

On a secondary note, the tires were replaced 1 year, prior to going into storage, that makes the tire 4 years old, but they have supported the weight of the 32ft fiver for three years without even a single rotation, should they be replaced again prior to the move? I have to admit I'm slightly concerned about the tires on a 3400 km tow, after not moving for three years.

thank you for any help/suggestions.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:29 AM   #2

Wyoming
I’ve never seen a 5th wheel being towed on a flatbed, unless it was involved in an accident that made it untowable.

5th wheels are towed from the factory to the dealership the same way you’d tow it while traveling… and yes, it is usually done so by licensed & insured people doing such for a living.

I’m sure any of the local RV dealers where yours is stored could provide a few contacts to help you out.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:51 AM   #3

California
I say have the tires replaced too. Get some good American made tires. Tires made in America not tires from an American company made in China. Stay away from Chinese made tires. Goodyear for instance makes Endurance in America and they have a speed rating which is hard to find on an ST tire. They also have Marathon tires that are made in China and are not nearly as good. (My opinion).

A blow out at speed can cause a ton of damage to a trailer. The shredded tire can rip apart sheet metal and wiring etc., even cause a fire. I would do anything within reason to avoid one. All that weight stationary on a tire in the same place for years could flat spot a tire and even cause some cracking. Changing a fifth wheel tire is no picnic on the side of a highway. Even 3,000 pound cars that sit for a while can experience tire problems.

Can you tell I think you should change them?
Old 02-22-2022, 02:36 AM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
A blow out at speed can cause a ton of damage to a trailer. The shredded tire can rip apart sheet metal and wiring etc… Can you tell I think you should change them?
Um, yes… yes it can. Memories from last summer. Thanks for the quick stroll down memory lane.. I think. Ha!.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F8CEB397-F323-4AE6-8BBE-B43023688C2D.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	7310

Name:	52C6874D-EE99-4419-89A8-9719271F1857.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	7311

Name:	896935EA-FD55-4085-AEB8-BA45809DE730.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	7312
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #5

California
That is terrible. Scary and expensive.

Those pictures alone would cause me to buy new quality tires before having that thing towed 2,000 miles.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #6

Florida
I know it well! Fortunately, my blowouts didn't cause any damage aside from a LOAD of inconvenience. My recommendation would be to change the tires since they are probably dry rotted some and more than likely need air. Some new Goodyear's are relatively inexpensive. I think his issue is that he will need to get someone to do everything for him since he is not local to the RV.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:20 AM   #7

Ontario
Well its official, my new job will be in Cold Lake Alberta. Not so say that cost of shipping is not a concern, but my work will be picking up the cost to ship the RV to my new location. I'm certain there is a maximum amount they'll pay, but I will find out more in the coming weeks. Anyone with contact for companies that do this kind of thing would be great. Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:22 AM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I know it well! Fortunately, my blowouts didn't cause any damage aside from a LOAD of inconvenience. My recommendation would be to change the tires since they are probably dry rotted some and more than likely need air. Some new Goodyear's are relatively inexpensive. I think his issue is that he will need to get someone to do everything for him since he is not local to the RV.
you might be correct, however I think my work will pay for me to go inspect the RV and TV and prep them for shipment. This inspection would be two fold one to inspect for damage from storage prior to shipment and secondly to organize shipment. But again not sure about all this yet, just my understanding.

Old 07-19-2022, 01:29 AM   #9

Ontario
Shipping day is getting closer, I had the 5th Wheel towed from the storage facility to my repair facility. They have replaced the tires including spare, replaced the wheel bearings, greased the shackle bolts, inspected the electrical system, tested the battery, inspected and adjusted the brakes, found an LP leak at both the fridge and HWT gas valves (replaced both), inspected the pop outs and completed a pressurized leak check on entire RV.

The Shipping company picks up my 5th on Aug 5th and will deliver it to Cold Lake Alberta about a week later.

Can't wait to inspect it and start camping again. My truck has already been delivered and is waiting for us to arrive at the new house.