**** Rant - toll transponders **** - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2017, 12:16 AM   #1

Arizona
**** Rant - toll transponders ****

While driving through Houston I almost wound up on a transponder only tollroad. I don't have any sort of transponder so I went into mini-panic mode. Fortunately they provided a last-ditch exit that let me escape from entering the tollroad.
What's so bad about providing at least one cash lane for tolls?

Anyway, when I got home I did a little research for some sort of universal transponder I could buy for my travels across the country. Guess what? There ain't no such animal as a universal transponder. There is something called a National Transponder that is accepted in like 19 states and it comes with some crazy costs.
This is ridiculous!

How are you all getting around this problem?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #2

Texas
I live South of Houston. Small town closer to the coast. There are tags (transponders) that work now on all the various tollways Statewide in Tejas. Finally.

Since they are managed by different entities, it wasn't always that way.

Nationally? Pretty doubtful. The "backoffice" requirements would be monumental.

Just so ya know, no reason for panic.

When they choose to remove the manned lane(s) from various exits, they know well that there will be many vehicles without a tag taking that exit. It's a cost factor decision by the management company.

And even IF you get photographed and eventually tracked down and sent an invoice, it's nothing dramatic. Happens every day. Over and over and over.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #3

South Carolina
Went to Seaquarium just off of Miami FL, on a toll road. Signs did explain it; they said if you don't have a tag, just keep going, don't worry about it, and we'll send you a bill. They did, the cameras caught my trailer tag, and they got my address from SC DMV. No fine, just the regular toll (for 4 axles), paid on line. Modern times!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Some have reciprocity, others don't. If they don't have a manned both I think they are required to have a "bill by mail" alternate. At one point I had two transponders, a NC Quick Pass and an EZ Pass. EZ is mainly in the NE. NC now accepts EZ Pass (and several others). There is no national universal pass... yet.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #5

Ohio
Had this happen in Canada...(I'm from Ohio). No manned booth, no alternate route, probably had a sign (but it's been too long ago to remember). Yes, they found us for the bill. No extra fees or surcharges. I'm absolutely curious about this system that can read cars as they speed by at 65mph+ and the computers/people that track down the owner/address information!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

The Florida turnpike is the same way. No toll attendants only passes so the camera takes your picture and mails you a bill about a month later. no penalty just the toll. It seems this is the way of tolls these days.
Tanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #7

Tennessee
This is why I don't leave the state. Getting crazy out there.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

Illinois
I carry two, SunPass for Florida and EZPass for Illinois where live. EZPass is also good in a lot of eastern states as well. Transponders are pretty cheap; 5 to 10 bucks, and are set up to autofill from a credit card. You would think that there would be a national mandate to have all transponders work nationwide after a set date, otherwise they would cut federal highway funds. Not happening. Probably a lobbying issue. One nice thing about Texas and Florida with the automatic billing; when I ride the HD, my plate is tucked under the tour pack and doesn't get read. Freebie!
Rusty
2017 Key West 219 FS Boat w/Yamaha 250 SHO
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

North Carolina
Yep, I've got 3 on my windshield...

* EZ-Pass, which seems to be the most widely accepted.
* SunPass, which works in Florida
* PikePass, which seems to be for Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas

Of course, now that I'm traveling out west, haven't needed to replenish my account on any of them... which is why I hope I never have to cross the Mississippi ever again.
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Had this happen in Canada...(I'm from Ohio). No manned booth, no alternate route, probably had a sign (but it's been too long ago to remember). Yes, they found us for the bill. No extra fees or surcharges. I'm absolutely curious about this system that can read cars as they speed by at 65mph+ and the computers/people that track down the owner/address information!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
High speed digital cameras with some sort of OCR software. Then the number is submitted to the appropriate state DMV, who in turn sends the address information to the tolling company. Some states/Provinces have an agreement some don't. It isn't a perfect system but it seems to work much of the time. We had a couple of bills come in that were supposedly for our company trucks, however when we checked our GPS logs the plates had been mis-read and weren't for us. We protested the bill and they dropped them.

I have also seen some 'interesting' software in use by my local Sheriff's department. They have a camera linked to a laptop, it scans license plates of the vehicles driving by, if it spots one on the 'hit list' it lets the officer know and they can pull the car over. This has been around for several years the courts and civil liberty lawyers are arguing over it. In most states the license plate is owned by the state and therefore photographing it is legal or hasn't been ruled on yet.

And to think that people were worried about Santa Claus...

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote