Auxiliary Gas Tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Florida
Auxiliary Gas Tank

I have a 2014 Denali 330RLS. I pull it with a 2013 F250 SRW 6.2 gas. Pulls great but the 35 gal tank makes me nervous. I drive by 8 out of 10 stations that I can't access due to gas pump configuration. Flying J's are few and far between. Any suggestions for aux tank without breaking the bank? Diesel is easy, but I need gas.

GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #2

Arizona
Northern Tool is where I got my diesel tank. I believe they tanks for gas also.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

Colorado
Hmmm...well...being what I am...I'd suggest getting a Chevy truck.

Besides that, do a google search there are those that can provide a larger tank in the original location, so you don't loose any bed space. There are those that can provide you a tank that ties into your fuel lines. And there are those that can provide you a reserve tank with its own pump and fuel handle to refill your tank.

More options than you can imagine, but none are real inexpensive.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Texas
Tank

I have a F350 Dually and I only go to one Diesel tech for all of my issues if i have any. He told me that he can get a bigger gas tank for my truck for about 200 dollars. Now I know that sounds easier said than done, but the option is out there for sure.
Rauchy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

Texas
Aux Tank

I have a 2016 F350 diesel towing a 2016 Voltage 3970 which grosses 20000 pounds (GCW is 31000), but anyone who can install a diesel aux can do a gas.
Mine was about $150 installed, 60 g, gravity flow to fuel line just inside filler neck. I leave the valve open 24/7 so I run the aux tank down before main tank starts flowing. I have a cover on my bed so I have the tank which stays 2 inches down from sides of truck (it is a flip cover so it is open when the trailer is hooked up, closed when not hooked up).
I love it for the fact I can fuel up unhooked (or use a truck stop hooked up which is way expensive) and can travel 750 miles without fueling when towing (sensibly I start looking for diesel when the main tank gauge starts going down), or 1200 miles unhooked.
CAUTION: If you use this particular type of set up, be sure to fuel the main tank FIRST, then CLOSE the cap before fueling the aux tank or you WILL get a gas bath. (Friend of mine did that ahem??)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

California
The fuel box

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 and it came with this combo box and it holds 42 gallons. It is installed to pump into the main tank on your truck until its empty and then you start using your main tank. On top of that there is a tool box on top. Cant hold large things but straps tow accessories and some tools easily. Installed it goes for $1500. I can now go over 700 miles without refilling when i am towing my 2018 Voltage 3970. When i am not towing I fill up both tanks and it last me about a month.

Hope this helps: http://thefuelbox.com/product-category/fuelbox/

Mark
jusbranton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #7

Washington
I had a tank made for my 2008 F250 Super Duty Ford V10 that has a auto shut off gas hose. My truck tank is smaller that yours, so we stop at rest stops to take a break and then fill up the main truck tank. When we get to our site, we unhook, go fill up, and are on our way then next morning. Our aux tank is 60 gallons. We pull a Denali 396RKS 5th wheel, and have never had to fill up with the trailer attached. We have used this method for 4 years.

VancouverViking is offline   Reply With Quote