Kodiak Ultimate Front Cap Cracks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #1

North Carolina
Kodiak Ultimate Front Cap Cracks

Bought a new old-stock 2018 Kodiak Ultimate a couple months ago. Been out three times, sorting out teething issues (same stuff I'm sure everybody sees) but noticed this morning during a post-trip bath, that the front nose cap is starting to hairline crack. I noticed on the last trip that there hairline cracks in the gel-coat around the LED pimp lights and saw today a whole bunch of new cracks, some raised, higher up on the nose. It looked like dog hair on the black finish (which I thought was odd), but when It wouldn't wash off I looked closer and saw it was a whole rash of little cracks forming.

I'm going to bring this to the attention of our salesman and want it officially documented as an issue but realistically, what can I expect to happen? "Gee, sorry it's happening" and a brush off? How bad will it have to get before its considered an issue to them? We got into this after a lot of research and expecting issues, but this is really disappointing on a new unit.
The cracks arent bad yet but they aren't going to get better/smaller and at this rate I fully expect them to keep appearing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9465.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9533.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	5912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9535.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9536.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	5914  

NC_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

Illinois
That stinks. Good call documenting, although I don't know what they can do to remedy it. I certainly wouldn't want them re-painting. Maybe some type of cash rebate? Regardless, I'd monitor it more closely until near the end of your factory warranty, then decide.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

Tennessee
I had several "spider web" cracks on my front cap and the dealer fixed them. He sent it to a local body shop that specialized in Corvette paint jobs.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #4

Florida
I would definitely take it back to the dealer and get it REPAIRED and not glossed over. Dutchmen has supposed to increased it's warranty so don't let them crap all over you. You may also want to send trailer live a letter!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #5

North Carolina
The dealer promptly responded to my email (prefer email over a phone call so there is a dated record of the issue) and asked when we can bring it in and leave it for a while. We have a camping trip scheduled for mid-oct so we'll drop it off after that.

Not sure what the plan is yet. I am assuming the nose cap is too thin and moving too much during travel, cracking the gel-coat. Not sure how they aim to fix it but am willing to see what they propose.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would definitely take it back to the dealer and get it REPAIRED and not glossed over. Dutchmen has supposed to increased it's warranty so don't let them crap all over you. You may also want to send trailer live a letter!
I agree, but how would you propose it be repaired? I am guessing the cap is too thin and suspect they won't be able to actually fix that.

What is trailer live? This is our first RV so I'm new to all this.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2019, 12:20 AM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I had several "spider web" cracks on my front cap and the dealer fixed them. He sent it to a local body shop that specialized in Corvette paint jobs.
How has it held up?
Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
That stinks. Good call documenting, although I don't know what they can do to remedy it. I certainly wouldn't want them re-painting. Maybe some type of cash rebate? Regardless, I'd monitor it more closely until near the end of your factory warranty, then decide.
Rusty
I'm going to see how they want to deal with it. I sure hope this doesn't become an ongoing issue. Other than a few minor issuee (and now this), we've been pretty happy with the unit.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_john View Post
How has it held up?
Fine, it still looks almost new after 5 years
Old 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #10

Illinois
While others may have had different experiences, every time I've had body work done in the past 40 years, it is never as good as factory. Paint may match (sometimes) but it seems softer and more susceptible to chips, which would be a huge issue on the nose. I've been told that most shops don't bake the repaint and just let them air dry. Many times, if a part is fiberglass, the paint, from what I understand is in the mold. Hope they just replace it for you.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:47 PM   #11

North Carolina
I'll be sure you let you all know what they plan to do. We'll be bringing it to them at the end of the month.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #12

North Carolina
Update. Dropped unit at the dealer today so they can take care of it. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #13

North Carolina
Final follow-up. Factory is allowing dealer to do a full refinish on front cap under warranty. Kind of ridiculous it took since October to get approval. We gave up in Jan and traded it in on a new grand design reflection.

Just wanted to let those interested how it ended.....
Old 02-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Florida
Thanks for the update. Too many folks pass through here and never let us know of any resolutions. Sorry to hear you had the issues to begin with. how do you like the grand design you purchased?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote